Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » "Know thyself." A scary undertaking?

"Know thyself." A scary undertaking?

Posted - April 8, 2017

Responses

I find it fascinating that while you and I both have an extensive range of knowledge about God and religion and philosophy, that our journey's that have followed the Delphic maxim of "Know thyself" have been so different and characterized by such different emotions and feelings.

Perhaps I have simply forgotten any of the bad times that I might have had because the end result has retroactively healed me.

WOW!
      April 9, 2017 1:43 PM MDT

• Dear Tom,
    Yes, it is true for me...when I discovered that depression can actually be a longing for God, it was like the floodgates opening and then I KNEW what to do...from then on, my one reason-for-being.

Have I understood correctly, is that what you meant?
      April 9, 2017 2:44 PM MDT

True---our hearts can never rest unless they rest in Thee."

Not sure if that's what I meant, but I am too enthralled with your answer to do anything but contemplate your experience re: depression.
      April 10, 2017 11:34 AM MDT

• Back to socratese... The life lived unexamined is the life not worth living...
      April 8, 2017 7:28 PM MDT

• Yes indeed, very scary. Reminds me of what Groucho Marx once said: I wouldn't join any club that would have me for a member. 
      April 10, 2017 7:07 PM MDT