Active Now

Spunky
CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Have a quick look at true racism in American History?

Have a quick look at true racism in American History?

Association with the KKK destroyed David Duke’s political ambitions. During the 1988 presidential election, Duke’s sole victory was in the New Hampshire vice presidential primary. Running in 11 states on the Populist ticket, he won just shy of 50,000 votes–in a race that saw 91.5 million votes cast. Libertarian candidate Ron Paul got 10 times Duke’s vote tally.
(http://all-that-is-interesting.com/famous-kkk-members)

Duke recently ran a 2016 campaign for a Senate seat in Louisiana and was a member of the Louisiana House of Representatives from 1989-1992.

Posted - April 8, 2017

Responses

I doubt this is a full covering picture of the true racism in American history. Luckily your one example did not succeed in his run for president.

Racism however, is ugly no matter who the offender is, or for that matter if they say the "right" words or mask them in a spin. It's very much about intensions.

There are racist tendencies, and no doubt intentions behind some of the team behind Trump, and remarks made by himself during his run for office were all about pleasing a racist segment of voters. He won't become clean by partisan pointing fingers at Democrat example(s). Just saying.

Support the man out of whatever reasons, but take distance to his racist tendencies unless one supports his view on these matters. It's all about showing true colours. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 9, 2017 1:48 PM MDT
      April 9, 2017 3:22 AM MDT

There are assumptions that some members of the kKK were actually Presidents.

The klan actually was a very prominent organization at one time and many Democrat, and a few Republican, Senators and congressmen held positions that were once KKK members.

It is difficult for a white man in America to say anything without the opposition spinning it into racism but for the most part, racism was dying until our last President helped resuscitate it.

I just cannot imagine having a Klan member in a public office. David Dukes was actually a member of the American Nazi Party until 1975 and sometime later became democrat.

If one looks close at the history of racism in America, they'd be proud of how far we have come. I grew up in a very rural area where all the blacks lived in their own community but we all got along and no one, of any sense, really ever treated anyone different because of their color at that time but prior to the 80s was a different story.
      April 9, 2017 3:31 AM MDT

I agree with klan members should be left out of any public serving. I am sure Duke won't be the only bad example you'll be able to find On both sides.

All this said, the modern "KKK" has learned using more "PC", or should i say accepted wordings in today's society which I find a sad one watching having history in mind. This is not a question about spinning of opposition, but each one of us looking into the mirror and point out racism, and any other discrimination when we see it.

I'm sorry to say it, but in my eyes your candidate has shown that ugly face, that inner beast. This does not only count racism and I can't use unfortunately in this sentence as this alone will already be too much. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 9, 2017 10:04 AM MDT
      April 9, 2017 3:43 AM MDT

"It is difficult for a white man in America to say anything without the opposition spinning it into racism but for the most part, racism was dying until our last President helped resuscitate it."   

No.  Our last president didn't help to resuscitate it.  Racism in this country was never dying.  That's a myth we white people like to tell ourselves.  Ask anyone of color whether it was dying and you will get an earful if you are willing to listen.  Your description of your youth, is from the perspective of someone who happened to be born the right color.  Ask any of the black people you grew up with and they will tell you they were not treated the same and don't have the "Kumbaya" memories you have.  You have painted a very naive, and convenient, truth for yourself.  Bottom line, it was easy for white people to ignore what was happening.  We thought racism was being wiped out.  It only became "in your face" apparent to us that it was not only alive and well, but thriving, after Obama was voted into office and, it is a lot more deep seated than we realized.  With the coincidental increased use of the internet at that time, it allowed, and gave rise to, the most rabid racists to use as their personal platform to spew hatred in what they believed was complete anonymity, and from the comfort of their own home. It has spread like a highly contagious infection. No one has made the kind of racist and hateful memes about Laura Bush & Melania Trump that they made about Michelle Obama. We have not progressed in our thinking as we should.  We have taken several steps backwards.  All you have to do is look at the figures & information supplied by the Southern Poverty Law Center which tracks hate groups, as evidence we are continuing on that downward spiral.  The last President is out of office and can't be blamed for that.   

April 9, 2017 7:43 AM MDT

Perfect answer that covered all the bases. Wish I had written it myself.

The mind-bogglingly stupid post that you replied to made me wonder what planet that person had been living on for the past 8 years. Even scarier is that there are so many out there just like him.

April 9, 2017 12:53 PM MDT

I believe it should be possible to reply a post like the OP without making such negative remarks about another member here. It does not suit you, any cause, or this site. In fact it makes it look rather obtuse, and something the POTUS and his staff could have produced. Okay, that was harsh... maybe too harsh... the POTUS would have been less polite, but I am sure you get the picture. 
      April 9, 2017 1:47 PM MDT

You are right, Obama is not completely to blame but the overall portrayal of and inflation of a few incidents, that had they not been broadcast repeatedly all over America would not have caused such a surge of hatred.

I respectfully disagree, racism has been on the decline. I know people of many races who feel this way. Look at how many more minorities are elected to public office now. How many television shows that we all enjoy have people of different races. Three decades ago there are places that people who were black would not want to go in the area I grew up and now I have seen a lot of change. Maybe racism dying was the wrong choice of words but a strong decline seemed apparent. If there was no decline, then the works of Martin Luther King Jr, and all those who fought so hard during the civil rights movement were in vein.

With so many Americans, including myself, being multiracial it is difficult to imagine how racism could not be in decline.
      April 10, 2017 2:39 AM MDT

I really wish I could say that I agree with you Weylon.   I understand what you are saying.  I actually thought the same thing until I saw a massive increase in racist comments on every news article after Obama became President.  I'm a news junkie and I read everything.  These people would even blame him for news stories that had nothing to do with him or the state of the nation.  Every day it was the same thing over and over and it continued to increase exponentially.  The anger combined with such incredibly hateful speech people were spewing, was confusing and distressing to me.  So, I started doing some digging along with speaking to people of different backgrounds.  

You are entitled to your opinion.  I have no interest in arguing with you.  All I'm going to say is that you might want to do a bit of digging too.  There is evidence that the amount of hate groups has expanded since the turn of this century.  I am not going to bog you down with a bunch of links but I will leave you with one:  https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map    Have a great night. :-)
      April 10, 2017 5:27 PM MDT

• Is there a question here? Interesting topic, but what type of feedback are you after? 

As to earlier posts about racism in America, we have come pretty far since the time of slavery, but it hasn't been a nearly straight line of progression, and it sure took a long enough time. That such groups as the Klan and Nazis still exist, shows there is still much further to go. Donald Trump's presidency is not a proud moment in this cause. 

I would further contend that racism is a card too often played by certain parties when it suits their own ends, whether there is basis or not, just as there are public figures (hello, Al Sharpton) who seem to crawl out when social tensions about race are in play.

We would also be amiss to discount misogyny as a suppressive discriminatory force in our society, as an even larger and more diverse group suffers under its heel.
    (And no, I didn't vote for Hillary, gender wasn't why she was a terrible candidate)

Racism is a species of hate, which itself is a product of ignorance. Looking out today, at this emerging generation, at our current government, can we be convinced that we are making strides against ignorance and hate, overall? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 10, 2017 2:43 AM MDT
      April 9, 2017 6:29 AM MDT

The question was would you like to have a look at true racism in America with the "would you" being implied. As far as I know the National organization of the Klan is gone, even tho some local organizations exist and I'm aware of the American Nazis as David Dukes was a member of that political party at one time.

Maybe President Trump's win isn't the proudest moment but we had to make a change and I was thrilled that he wasn't wildly popular with either of the main two parties, as I affectionately refer to as two worthless sides of the same coin.

Very true that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson seem to thrive off such tension.

I am strongly opposed to racism for various reasons. I do believe we are making strides. In the 1970s, my family was treated terrible because of color. Although mostly from European descent, we are Melungeon and three counties in Tennessee were set aside for our people during that time because of our skin color. I've been a victim of discrimination by a few in a place where I was a minority but, overall they were very welcoming.
      April 10, 2017 2:53 AM MDT

Good Morning all~  I woke up an hour ago to an overcast, grey sky.  It seems the first question I opened  plays on the same weather color.
    I am not one for debate.  I am one for resolving conflict and not feeding it.  Please keep that in mind.  I would like to introduce a different angle.  It may sound simple; however, it does have a slight hint of sunshine through the grey.  
     I consider all four of you to be well-adjusted and intelligent.  With that in mind, I respect  and value your thoughts on this ever-pending quandary..
     History is a major part of who we are today.   We all perceive the past as it fits in our individual lives.  This includes our religions, our geographic locations, and our individual view of others.  Our history books need to be changing and our views need to develop as we learn to look forward. In The United States alone, our forefathers made what many see as numerous mistakes.  In their time, they weren't considered mistakes.  I am sure, right now, we are making some as well.   It is a growing a learning process.  We learn from our mistakes and hopefully not make them twice. Next generations learn from ours.  People DO get hurt along the way.  This is very, very saddening to us all.
    I am not belittling this topic by suggesting this solution.  I am, in turn, trying to help us all by not spending such time on a subject we all agree Not to agree on. 
    To try and open our hearts and rest our minds, let's simplify.  Let's accept the past as horrid as it is.   Who is right and who is wrong.? I think we all agree it sucked.  Let's learn from it and stop trying to pull it up as leverage to better this person or knock them down.
    Let's all be color blind.  Let's all not look at others and judge them.  Let's all understand that we DO have the ability to be friends and work to heal the world WE ALL need to live on.  Let's take care of each other and not fear each other.  It is really simple.  Today, look at a stranger or your neighbor and smile.  Think.  They have to work too.  They have bills too. They flush the toilet.  They need water. They need food. We all are in this together.  Trust each other. Don't let their cars or size of home make you want any more than you need.   Don't make it push comes to shove.  Make it, "Hey, how's it goin' today?"  Healing and smiles are very contagious.  Make this place a happy and healthy place.  You have the power.  Use it. :)

This post was edited by Merlin at April 10, 2017 8:24 AM MDT
      April 9, 2017 9:55 AM MDT

I do, but I do react when I see hatred, discrimination and injustice. I do point and talk up when I see the inner beast, as I hope others will tell me should I ever let it out. We can not ignore and live as it does not exist. History has shown us this, and as you say so well, let us learn from the past. I do not see a progress in these days we live, but a major step back into a place we as species already have been. Unfortunately. Meh.

This does not mean we cannot be friendly to each other, and wish all the best for everyone, or follow your other suggestions. I love them. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 10, 2017 8:25 AM MDT
      April 9, 2017 10:34 AM MDT

I applaud you!  You are a good example for many to follow. I know I do because of just that! :) :) Oh, and you're fun too!! ;)

I almost didn't catch that!  I posted "your" instead of "you're."  That's what I get for being in a rush and not proofing.  PHEW!!! This post was edited by Merlin at April 10, 2017 2:43 AM MDT
      April 9, 2017 10:51 AM MDT

Lolz. Thank you Hun, and no worries... I won't tell Ran-Ran. ;-)
      April 9, 2017 11:05 AM MDT

Thank you!! 
      April 9, 2017 11:34 AM MDT

Awweeee. Cute. :-*
      April 9, 2017 11:38 AM MDT

Now, I am British, and we never had that segregation you had in the USA, which is not to say we don't have racial tensions, and I have talked about some of those on here. And, yes, it was we who colonised your country, until you became independent, so we are responsible for much of what I am about to discuss.
    When the white settlers arrived in America, large numbers of them contracted malaria, and many died. They realised there was a way to make the colony viable, which was to bring in blacks from Africa, where there is a lot of malaria, so they have developed resistance to it. They could bring them in as indented servants, where they agree to work for a specific length of time, then they are free, or as slaves. The Scottish economist Adam Smith was divided on which was preferable.
    I just wanted to add that to the true history of racism in America. The truth is, the nation was built on slavery. Whatever state it is in now, that is where it comes from.
      April 10, 2017 8:38 AM MDT