Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Why would anyone choose to use chopsticks over the vastly superior fork and sppon?

Why would anyone choose to use chopsticks over the vastly superior fork and sppon?

Before anyone says that i just don't know how to use them.   Yes I do,  they just aren't as logical, useful,  or well thought out as the fork and spoon

Posted - April 9, 2017

Responses

Well ya but when you use them and when I do.. we don't use them anywhere near as proficiently as nations who grow up using them... if you watch the Japanese say... you can see how very, very efficient they are at using them....their meals are designed to be eaten with chopsticks... ours aren't
      April 9, 2017 1:37 PM MDT

• They are stupid utensils.  I'm sorry,  when you need to learn how to use an eating utensil over one that anyone can use and just makes more sense.....    Get with the modern times.

I can even eat rice with them,   it's just silly to do so though.
      April 9, 2017 1:42 PM MDT

• I'd starve if I had to use them.....imo, my fingers work better!
      April 9, 2017 2:18 PM MDT

• lol.

There are all these stupid rules with them too.  Like stabbing food with them,  having them point at someone,  putting them in a bowl standing up being taboo, etc.
      April 9, 2017 2:23 PM MDT

Have you really tried to pick up a Sushi roll with a fork? They tend to fall apart. Chopsticks are used as an extension of fingers. It is just away to eat what is basically finger food without using dirty fingers to do it.
      April 9, 2017 2:23 PM MDT

• Fork works fine for it and besides just using the fingers alone is better.  

Sushi isn't very good anyway.
      April 9, 2017 2:25 PM MDT

maybe theyre just trying to show off
      April 9, 2017 2:32 PM MDT

I gotta say I agree with you.  

When I am in a Chinese or Japanese restaurant and I see my white neighbor using chopsticks, I think they are pretentious holes.  I know how to use chopsticks.  I am pretty proficient with them.  When I was younger I was taught it is appropriate to use them. But, as I've aged, I've come to realize I prefer my own comfort over someone else's idea of how I should be eating a specific type of food. When given the choice, I always use a fork.  I even use it with my sushi, which I HAPPEN TO LIKE.  It is very good when it is fresh & prepared properly.  I suspect when you tried sushi it was from your local supermarket or quickie mart. :p
      April 9, 2017 2:45 PM MDT

• Dear Evil Pink,
    I love chopsticks...the exotic glamour, the oriental restaurant beautiful decor, dressing up for dinner...unusual delicious food, just lots of fun!
    And sake or some kind of lovely cocktail too...oh chopsticks definitely wonderful, and I'm pretty good at it too...maybe the symphony or the opera or the theater afterward.

You must face it, there are more important things in life than logical, useful, well thought-out...(rolling eyes)...all that kind of exceedingly boring stuff.
    ;) 
      April 9, 2017 4:00 PM MDT

Tradition in some parts of the world, I suppose.
      April 10, 2017 8:12 AM MDT