Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Randy D
CosmicWunderkind
Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Why are we still using ceramic table ware? It's fragile and noisy. Breaks way to easy and is too expenisve. We can do better.

Why are we still using ceramic table ware? It's fragile and noisy. Breaks way to easy and is too expenisve. We can do better.

There is no good reason that we are still using ceramic over enamelled steel or injection molded resins.   Other than some hoity-toity friends and family will call us trashy. 

Posted - April 9, 2017

Responses

I use stainless mostly for cooking, it is easy to handle and maintain. But I'm guilty because I use Corelle tableware, I can put in dishwasher or sometimes if it is less greasy use warm water for a quick clean. Yes, a bit on the expensive side but very light and easy maintenance. This post was edited by Veena.K at April 9, 2017 3:02 PM MDT
      April 9, 2017 2:17 PM MDT

If that is what you want to use, then use it. But just remember you cannot use any metal n a microwave oven. You can't use some resins either. I bought a set of melamine dishes for my camper. They are not microwaveable. I had to go out and buy a set of Corelle.
      April 9, 2017 2:17 PM MDT

• I rarely use the microwave.

And actually you can use metal in a microwave as long as it is insulated from or not touching the metallic sides of it.  I had one with a metal grill in the center in fact.
      April 9, 2017 2:31 PM MDT

buy a different one then
      April 9, 2017 2:30 PM MDT

I am a Brit... we just exude class :P and I have melamine plates I use... I prefer them, less heavy.. but I have normal ceramic ones too...  I do like very pretty posh ceramic plates.. Ive a set of best ones i use on special occasions
      April 9, 2017 2:53 PM MDT

•   April 9, 2017 3:25 PM MDT

• Tradition, looks and feel... A nice bone China plate, or better yet, porcelain... More beautiful than plastic any day
      April 9, 2017 3:52 PM MDT

(way too easily)
      April 10, 2017 8:12 AM MDT

Metal is fine for cooking utensils but when used for plates and dishes it helps hot foods to cool too quickly.

Enamelled table-ware is made, but that too is fragile in that the enamel is a brittle ceramic, easily chipped.

And if you've had a hot drink from an enamel mug, you'll know why such mugs have been nick-named "lip burners".

May 11, 2017 4:43 PM MDT