Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Family » Is this one of the best things or one of the worst things you can say to your children?

Is this one of the best things or one of the worst things you can say to your children?

"I hope your children grow up to be just like you."

Posted - April 10, 2017

Responses

It's a bad thing to say but it feels GOOD when you say it :P
      April 10, 2017 1:22 PM MDT

• I was told "I hope you have three just like you."

Lol  screw you mom, I wore condoms.  ^_^
      April 10, 2017 1:23 PM MDT

1. "I love you."
    2. "I hate you."
      April 10, 2017 1:24 PM MDT

• Actually it  is this:

"  You can do and be anything you want someday"

Don't lie to your kids like that.
      April 10, 2017 1:26 PM MDT

• Couldn't disagree more based on my own experiences.
      April 10, 2017 1:37 PM MDT

*butts in*
    Wings and a dose of realism. "Life is going to kick your butt and you won't be the best at everything, but you'll never be the best at anything or learn your passions unless you're willing to try, and fail, and then try some more." That's my motto with my kids.
      April 10, 2017 1:43 PM MDT

April 10, 2017 1:50 PM MDT

• Nice...   I wish my parents said that.
      April 10, 2017 2:04 PM MDT

Totally agree... and to our friend Evil Bunny... I still believe that when I say that to my kids it's the truth.. I still believe that we can do whatever we set our mind to... my kids could be anything... the world is their oyster.. they can be an astronaut or a lorry driver.. and the fun part is seeing how their path and journey will go.
      April 10, 2017 2:00 PM MDT

• Not everyone can be anything.      That's  so inherently false.  Not everyone has the potential to play in the NBA. Not everyone has the potential to be a successful astrophysicist.  Genes matter.
      April 10, 2017 2:03 PM MDT

well ok revise that then.. MY kids can do anything they want.. lol ..  the point is they can do anything they want... the determiner is what they want.. my kids could certainly be an astrophysicist, indeed my younger son is sorta dating a lovely young lady who is studying to be just that :) This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at April 10, 2017 3:50 PM MDT
      April 10, 2017 2:11 PM MDT

Absolutely!
      April 10, 2017 2:14 PM MDT

• It seems to me to be the type of thing a frustrated parent unthinkingly blurts out.  It is a catharsis. But maybe the parent should have reflected more before becoming a parent.
      April 10, 2017 1:53 PM MDT

Hmm that's pretty strong don't you feel? I've said it to my youngest child several times.. she's said it to me, as in I bet you hope I have a daughter just like me one day...  It's not damaged her in any way and I am not a bad parent for saying it.. there's whole decades of experiences and things I've said that go into raising my kids... one comment like this really isn't a big deal.. I promise you.
      April 10, 2017 2:02 PM MDT

• It was perhaps a comment reflecting on my anger at my own POS father who obviously bitterly regretted having become a parent.
      April 10, 2017 2:09 PM MDT

ahh right, I understand and sorry to have stirred that up for you.. If it helps my mother was very, very abusive - she was someone who truly didn't like children, or not me at any rate.. so yea I know what you mean..It's perhaps one of the reasons I try to be positive with my own kids... I believe that anything is possible and I believe in them totally.
      April 10, 2017 2:18 PM MDT

It's a great one to have.. for we believe everything is possible... and it works too :)
      April 10, 2017 2:56 PM MDT

• Nightmares are dreams too.
      April 10, 2017 3:16 PM MDT

• Living the dream.
      April 10, 2017 3:22 PM MDT

• In a more general way I often wonder how many parents, after some years of family life, were they able to time travel and undo having a family would they?

My father has poisoned my entire life.
      April 10, 2017 3:18 PM MDT

Good point... I know my mother didn't want me and felt I ruined her life... I cannot help thinking her life would have been happier without me in it.... but as for me,,,,I wouldn't change it... it is what it is.... it made me what I am .. i have more, rather than less compassion for others suffering...it made me stronger...
    My daughter asked me the other day had I ever regretted having her... I said no, never, and I meant it 
      April 10, 2017 3:25 PM MDT

• Kids need to hear it.   Let's them know their chit does indeed stink.
      April 10, 2017 3:17 PM MDT

• This can poison an entire life time.
      April 10, 2017 3:20 PM MDT

• Grow a pair.
      April 10, 2017 5:04 PM MDT