Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » How do you answer the theodicy question?

How do you answer the theodicy question?

Posted - April 10, 2017

Responses

• Dear Whistle6,

The Great Lisbon Earthquake, followed by a tsunami, killed somewhere between 10K and 100,000…coming on All Saints’ Day 1755, when everyone was in church; the cathedrals being the tallest structures and thus most vulnerable.

Because of the theodicy question, i.e., “how could a good God allow bad things to happen,” this catastrophe gave the budding philosophy of atheism a big boost.

For your question, personally I like the answer given by Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore, so simply in one of his verses called FIREFLIES:

“Light accepts darkness as her spouse, for the sake of creation.”

In other words, we humankind are creatures of Oneness, planted here where duality is necessary for our existence. Our ‘mission,’ if we choose to accept it, is to see through the duality of existence to the oneness of our nature.

And for this task, God is optional…and God knows that.

Painting ~1755 by Strobërle, angels and all, Allegory to the 1755 Earthquake.

April 10, 2017 4:35 PM MDT

• Love that Tagore quote. Haven't read any of his work for many years.
      April 10, 2017 5:07 PM MDT

• Hi Virginia... I wonder at times.. The quote is beautiful... Yet I wonder if am the magical quotes such as this are us trying to make sense of Å¥he world, forcing patterns on events that have no pattern.. From the days of Ogg and his fellow caveman, pattern recognition had been needed for survival... I wonder if it has outlived is usefulness.. And this is in no way trying to detract from your wonderful answer :)
      April 10, 2017 5:16 PM MDT

• Dear Ozgirl,
    There is nothing in my thinking which I consider "locked-in," to me the only workable approach is wide open-ness! What I wrote is my current working hypothesis, and new experience requires continual adjustment.

In light of your comment, what do you think of the Absurdism of Albert Camus? Every few years I go back to him...somehow very satisfying,
    "individuals should embrace the absurd condition of human existence while also defiantly continuing to explore and search for meaning." This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 10, 2017 6:10 PM MDT
      April 10, 2017 5:51 PM MDT

• I've never read Camus... Sorry... But showing my ignorance here... I often think there's more truth in a Monty python sketch than what is delivered in the nightly news.. Hopefully we mean the same by absurdist... Otherwise I think I may be on the end of a branch with a saw in my hand and definitely facing in the wrong direction
      April 10, 2017 5:57 PM MDT

• Oh Ozgirl, I am laughing...!
      April 10, 2017 6:01 PM MDT

• With me I hope....
      April 10, 2017 6:06 PM MDT

• Absolutely, with you!
    The image of the saw...okay, here is another of my current hypotheses about life: I think humankind as a whole may be FINALLY really addressing what the Buddhists call the First Noble Truth...that life is unsatisfactory, dukkha, and so what are we going to do about that?

In other words, we don't just say, "Oh God will handle it I will just have faith," but we are starting to take responsibility for ourselves.
      April 10, 2017 6:28 PM MDT

• It's a tough nut to crack. If you want to believe in God then you're forced to accept either that he's impotent or just doesn't care. That's not a problem for us non-believers but if you're looking for a way to counter that very pertinent question, it would be hard to go past Virginia's answer, and harder still to bypass her quote from Rabindranath Tagore. 
      April 10, 2017 5:10 PM MDT

The question of evil has been pondered upon by theologians for centuries, a couple you should consider are Augustine of Hippo and Thomas Aquinas.
    Here's my take - a good parent wants his children to learn compassion for their fellow human beings. You can't feel compassion for Superman, he's invulnerable. Vulnerability always involves pain and suffering, it's unavoidable. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at April 10, 2017 5:47 PM MDT
      April 10, 2017 5:11 PM MDT

• Three options:
    1) God doesn't exist
    2) God is supernatural psychopath
    3) God isn't all powerful and all knowing

Take your pick.
      April 10, 2017 5:19 PM MDT

• It isn't defensible; "God"s best excuse is non-existence. 

To wit,
    We all know evil exists and has always been present; then, ponder:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but unable? Then He is not omnipotent.
    Is He able but not willing? Then He is malevolent.
    Is He willing and able, then whence cometh evil? If He is neither able nor willing, why call him God?     -Epicurus

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 10, 2017 6:33 PM MDT
      April 10, 2017 5:25 PM MDT

• Nice one.. Haven't read that one before... Thank you
      April 10, 2017 5:46 PM MDT

• Known as Euthyphro's Dilemma.  
      April 10, 2017 5:50 PM MDT

• Reducto absursdum?
      April 10, 2017 5:51 PM MDT

• No. The preceding analysis of god and suffering is known as Euthyphro's dilemma. 
      April 10, 2017 6:56 PM MDT

Theodicy has never been a problem for me.

If Newton's laws give a reliable understanding of how things work and we plan accordingly, how much interference in the result can occur before we scream "Not Fair!!!" or realize it is not a law that we can count on?

Or how about the sailor lost in the fog at sea until he sees a bright light on shore by which he sales home safely---and then finds out the light was from his house burning down?

"No doubt the universe is unfolding as it should"---Desiderata.

April 10, 2017 6:11 PM MDT

I am thoroughly tired of theidiotic questions.
      April 10, 2017 6:49 PM MDT

How do you answer the theodicy question?

===============================================================================

1- Disasters can result from the handiwork of man or that of nature. Man is clearly capable of committing untold evil and does so, mostly driven by power and greed, as we can see all around us. However, that cannot be used as evidence that God doesn't exist, because man is also capable of taking responsibility, learning to control himself and living a goodly life without committing evil and destruction, and one wouldn't use that as evidence that God exists.

2- Take a scenario in which a huge boulder is critically balanced on a mountainside. Erosion and the elements are working away at that balance and inevitably there comes a time when it comes crashing down. As a rational person you say, 'yes, natural occurrence perfectly understandable, inevitable, perfectly explainable'. Let's slightly change the scenario. Picturesque spot, so a family with small children was camped at the bottom of the mountain and got horribly crushed to death by that boulder. Now you say, 'see, this is why I don't believe in your God, he is an evil, immoral monster'. Why a sudden change in perspective? We know that nature will always take its course and we have to work with nature and learn to avoid being caught in its way. Natural disasters force man to sit up exercise care for fellow humans and learn more about nature and how to better live with it, if not harness it to his benefit. It is part of the long term development of mankind.

3- Ever watched wildlife programs? The camera teams are well supported with armed game wardens. If human life was ever threatened the game wardens would shoot, at least tranquilizer darts, at a charging wild animal. Yet when a little deer totally unaware of the danger strays into the presence of lions hunting for food the only shooting the humans do is with the camera, recording the dreadful aftermath. What about the annual migration of the wildebeest when they cross a river at the same point and those that falter on the steep and slippery bank are caught and torn apart alive by the waiting crocodiles in their annual wildebeest feast. Surely it is not beyond man to build a rudimentary bridge across the river to give the wildebeest a safe passage across. So if it’s ok for man not to intervene, out of wisdom, why is it not ok for God not to intervene out of his wisdom which must be far superior on account of his being omniscient?

This post was edited by CLURT at April 12, 2017 1:16 PM MDT
      April 12, 2017 1:11 PM MDT