Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Are you adventurous culinary explorer?

Are you adventurous culinary explorer?

Mice in Cream (Souris à la crème)

Skin, gut and wash some fat mice without removing their heads. Cover them in a pot with ethyl alcohol and marinate 2 hours.

Cut a piece of salt pork or sowbelly into small dice and cook it slowly to extract the fat.

Drain the mice, dredge them thoroughly in a mixture of flour, pepper, and salt, and fry slowly in the rendered fat for about 5 minutes.

Add a cup of alcohol and 6 to 8 cloves, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Prepare a cream sauce, transfer the sautéed mice to it, and warm them in it for about 10 minutes before serving.

Posted - April 10, 2017

Responses

• Can this recipe be substituted with moles and voles?
      April 10, 2017 11:45 PM MDT

• I think so. Why not? 

For large family-sized portions, rats would work well
      April 11, 2017 12:19 AM MDT

• About a dozen wolves
      April 11, 2017 12:41 AM MDT

• Think I'll pass on that one but I've been to many places in the world and when I was hungry? I just picked something and didn't much ask about it till later. By the way? Rat and cat aren't too bad after you've eaten it. Long as it's mixed with rice and other stuff. You should have seen some of the stuff we ate in Southeast Asia and East Africa.
      April 11, 2017 8:00 AM MDT

• I've seen the Rat Barbecues. I'd be more apt to try a rodent on a stick than haggis, tbh.  It doesn't look all that bad

April 11, 2017 8:39 AM MDT

• I wouldn't touch haggis even if it meant starving to death!
      April 11, 2017 8:58 AM MDT

• Me neither!   I don't eat innards and anything containing sheep lung sounds as appetizing as calf brains.  No thanks!
      April 11, 2017 9:01 AM MDT

• I hear that!
      April 11, 2017 9:11 AM MDT

That's your Burns supper invitation cancelled. 
      April 11, 2017 11:33 AM MDT