Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » I don't know the mechanics of Twitter and FaceBook. Can you block everyone but friends/relatives or are you an open book to the world?

I don't know the mechanics of Twitter and FaceBook. Can you block everyone but friends/relatives or are you an open book to the world?

Posted - April 11, 2017

Responses

I know on Facebook, you can set your page to only be viewable by your Facebook Friends.
      April 11, 2017 4:56 AM MDT

• Strangers can still message you though. There is no way to block that.
    EDIT: You can stop that, but it also stops people from sending you friend requests. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 11, 2017 5:25 AM MDT
      April 11, 2017 5:02 AM MDT

Yes I was irritated with that myself. Had some random woman calling because we had the same last name. I did not answer. 
      April 11, 2017 5:11 AM MDT

I think that is a VERY good thing. It keeps the dingbats away! Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Tuesday to thee. So you don't Twitter then?
      April 11, 2017 5:25 AM MDT

No I am not on Twitter. But I have thought about it just to get a faster heads up on some of the news. I would probably only follow the cable news channels and the President....
      April 13, 2017 6:24 PM MDT

AARRGGHH! Join Twitter because of The prez? Geez Louise puhleez! Oy Vey too! Well it's your choice of course. Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Friday to thee. Totally different subject! We talked to David yesterday and the immunetherapy treatments are WORKING! The  cancerous tumors are shrinking! The ones that were on his lung are GONE and the ones in his lymph nodes are getting smaller! He has some attached to his bones and they are getting smaller too! He had an MRI yesterday and the doc told him that only 1 in 7 people respond so well. He is feeling much better! So I just wanted to update you and thank you for your prayers.   ((hugs)) :):):)
      April 14, 2017 3:44 AM MDT

Excellent.... Praise God. 
      April 14, 2017 5:33 AM MDT

Yes indeed sweetie! The minute David told us about it yesterday I thought of you! We never can truly know how much prayers help but we do know for certain that they cannot hurt!  It helps a great deal for people to know that they are in the thoughts of others...even people they don't know!:)
      April 14, 2017 5:40 AM MDT

... the more important question is: why the hell would you want to talk to your relatives on Twitter? isn't talking to them in real life bad enough? 
      April 11, 2017 9:36 AM MDT

Early on we had some relatives invite us to join FB. We politely declined then ignored the invites when they didn't get the hint. I don't see the point of communicating your moment-by-moment lives with pictures to everyone. That's like those abominable Christmas letters! AARRGGHH. To be avoided at all costs! Just my opinion and Jim shares it too. We email and talk on the phone and see them in person. A 24/7 recitation of what is going in our lives minute-by-minute is neither necessary nor appealing to us to be informed about them or to tell them about us! Thank you for your two questions. Did I answer them? Happy Wednesday nL. !
      April 12, 2017 3:55 AM MDT

I just know about Twitter.
    1. You can look your tweets, so they are only visible to your followers. 
    2. You can follow other people and comment on their accounts. They can see your tweet if it is on their comments. You can also retweet their tweets. 
    3. Your friends and relatives don't have to follow you. Mine don't. They don't use Twitter. I don't use Facebook. I mostly talk to museums, artists, and journalists. I like the Houston Chronicle, Houston museums, and follow a few politicians. 
    4. I think Facebook is more personal or it can be used for business. 
      April 11, 2017 9:46 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply Marguerite. I appreciate it. I can see the value in belonging to it for business. It is like a huge forum where like-minded people can share ideas. But the personal stuff? Like yearly Christmas letters? AARRGGHH!   Happy Wednesday! :)
      April 12, 2017 3:57 AM MDT

• Everyone here has made great points for and against it. Facebook can be used to get a business available for everyone to see. It's cheap advertising that can get to people around the world. As for the personal aspect, it can be both good and bad. Some of my friends post every little thing they do all day, some only post the important things. Some things on there make me laugh like a crazy woman, some really make me mad. One of my sister's friends, we've known her since she was a young teenager, is always trying to start crap with my family. We finally all un-friended her over the crap she was posting and the arguments she was starting. Needless to say my sister isn't friends with her any longer. 
    One of the good things about it the fact that I am still in contact with a LOT of former Answerbaggers. When the site redid the format and everyone left, we all found each other on FB. Some never went back to AB and some did. I like staying in contact with them. It has it's good and bad points, but you can decide how you use it and who can/cannot see your posts. 
      April 12, 2017 5:07 AM MDT

Having the ability to reach former AB members would definitely be an advantage for me. Because we were given no notice at all I lost touch with some AB friends with whom I had chatted for lotsa years. I had some email addresses and so I have remained in touch with those folks. But not with everyone I would have liked. SIGH. When things are going along okey dokey fine you think they'll ALWAYS be going along okey dokey fine. You don't think for an instant that one afternoon in mid-December 2015 you'll see a message thanking you for your participation and that AB has closed down! Just like that! No apologies for the way in which they chose to do it. Not very classy at all. Thank you for explaining another side of it Karen. Multiple ways in which to stay in touch with people. That's very nice! ((hugs))
      April 12, 2017 7:22 AM MDT

I don't touch either. Apart from having neither need nor wish to use them, Facebook exists to extract as much personal information as it can from its users, to sell to its real clients. These are advertising-agencies, and their modus operandii is analysing your details so they can send your computer advertisements for goods or services they think will tempt you.
      April 30, 2017 4:40 PM MDT