Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Scary segment on "60 Minutes" Sunday night. Anyone see it? Are you addicted to your apps?

Scary segment on "60 Minutes" Sunday night. Anyone see it? Are you addicted to your apps?

A couple of programmers said that apps are purposely formatted to be addictive. To create apprehension/tension/stress/uncertainty. That is what drives people to constantly check their phones to see if there are any messages or likes or emojis. Imagine that? Just like cigarette manufacturers included ingredients to hook you so too do programmers go inside your head and hook you. Could you give all that up or would that cause you infinite distress?

Posted - April 11, 2017

Responses

• About the only app I use on a daily basis is my transit app, it lets me know when my bus is going to be at the bus stop. Aside from that, there are three games I play regularly. I'm not a big app person. 
      April 11, 2017 4:44 AM MDT

I never use a cell phone for any reason. Jim has one his son gave him and Jim uses it as a phone basically. I like being able to reach him when he is away from home if I have to do so. The programmers who do that probably are very unhappy that such info was disclosed. It is a very scary thought. These programmers are knowledgeable about neuroscience and go out of their way to format apps that create anxiety. Don't know if you saw the show but Anderson Cooper interrupted the programmer who was dishing the dirt and said he felt  anxiety at that moment because he had not looked at his cell phone for over 15 minutes! That's the timing that is planned. That is what drives folks to "check" for messages so often. I think that should be illegal personally. Thank you for your reply Karen and Happy Tuesday! :)
      April 11, 2017 5:33 AM MDT

• My email is also connected to my phone and I get a 'ding' when a new one is sent, I do grab my phone to see what it was. I do check when I get a text message though. But the other apps are just there in case I need them. Facebook and my games are there when I have nothing else to do, but I don't sweat it if I can't check them. :)
    I almost forgot my favorite of favorites, my Kindle app. I use that one more than all the others. I read a lot  and I have several books downloaded on that one. I don't get alerts from it though, and only open it when I want to read. I don't have a landline, so my cell is a major part of my life, I'm just not real app crazy. 
      April 12, 2017 4:56 AM MDT

Thank you for sharing your personal experience Karen. It's all completely foreign to me so I appreciate getting your first-person account. I guess it's like anything else. Some things you control. Other things control you. Good to know you are among the former! Happy Wednesday!
      April 12, 2017 7:04 AM MDT

•  I refuse to conform!! :)
      April 12, 2017 3:27 PM MDT

You know what Karen? I don't know whether I'm a conformist or non! I try to follow the rules/ laws/regs. But mostly I always go by what makes sense to me because I don't know how to do/say otherwise. Maybe I'm a conforming non-conformist or a non-conforming conformist. Beats me! thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      April 13, 2017 2:55 AM MDT

• That made me laugh. I'm the same way, I follow rules but not trends. :)
      April 13, 2017 3:31 AM MDT

PERFECT!  I like that A LOT Karen!  I follow rules/regs/laws but not trends too! :) ((hugs))
      April 13, 2017 3:56 AM MDT

The only app I ever use the the voiceless gps thing because I hated the Magellan, every time it talked it scared the tar out of me..
      April 11, 2017 6:04 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Patch and Happy Wednesday! :) I  don't like machines that talk. They creep me out! Of course our GPS talks but it's not my favorite thing. I don't want refrigerators talking to me or cars either! :)
      April 12, 2017 7:06 AM MDT

Once again...stupidity rules. It doesn't scare me as I have no use for apps and my phone is shut off 95% of the time.
      April 11, 2017 6:23 AM MDT

I never use the cell phone Jim has. I don't like them. I'm a landline gal! We didn't buy the cell phone. His oldest son gave it to him and pays for it! Jim uses it a lot but not so much for anything else than a phone! Thank you for your reply.  If you're away from home though you wouldn't shut the phone off, right?  When Jim's off putzing around doing guy stuff or playing golf or tennis I like knowing if I need to reach him I can! Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday Ele! :)
      April 12, 2017 7:10 AM MDT

I don't have apps.  I use a flip phone for conversations when away from the office.  My daughter has decided to take away her daughter's smart phone.  I can see the harm the damn things do.  There is no reason for anyone to stay plugged in more than 8 hours per day.  Hearing dings  and dongs everytime you get an email, a call, a voicemail, a text, a Facebook action, various notifications, etc. etc. is unhealthy.  I hope people smarten up because your government is loving this.....................................ability to completely control the zombie population.  Never me.  I won't even text.  I use email during business hours and my home email for personal stuff.  But clients and colleagues do not have 24-hour access to me.  That would be stupid and goofy.  Not me! This post was edited by Thriftymaid at April 12, 2017 7:10 AM MDT
      April 11, 2017 1:26 PM MDT

That makes perfect sense to me. Some people NEED to be hooked up 24/7. They sleep with their phones near by or so I've read. I cannot even almost imagine doing that!  I think they're useful in certain circumstances. When Jim is out and about doing guy-stuff or playing/golf tennis it's comforting to know I can reach him if I need to do so. It's only actually happened a couple of times. Most things can wait till he gets home. I also like knowing that if he has car trouble he can get help. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply Thriftymaid. I appreciate it. I don't like Jim's cell phone personally. I never use it.  I'm strictly an old-fashioned landline gal. But I LIKE that he has one! Happy Wednesday!:)
      April 12, 2017 7:14 AM MDT