Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Why do "we" (or the media) care so much about the career of the man taken off the United flight?

Why do "we" (or the media) care so much about the career of the man taken off the United flight?

Does it matter that he's a doctor? Would the abuse he suffered be lesser if he was a fast food worker? Why is every media outlet discussing how prestigious his family is?

Posted - April 11, 2017

Responses

• No.  UA was 100% wrong no matter who it was.   However the fact that he clearly stated that he has patients who's well being is at stake on him arriving trumps the need to fly their employees because they can't get their chit together.

The fact that he was doctor isn't about the prestige.  It's about the fact that the well being of his patients were jeopardized.   It's not much different than when airlines had the sensible rule that the strongest and most fit person had rights to the hatch seat because they are able to provide important service to the other passengers in an emergency.

April 11, 2017 9:29 AM MDT

I was reading an article that talked about his wife and several children being doctors as well, so that's what set me off a bit. Yes, the health of patients may make his situation more delicate, but the Daily Mail's piece made it more about prestige, I think.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4401444/Name-man-hauled-United-flight-Chicago-revealed.html
      April 11, 2017 9:44 AM MDT

I was reading an article that talked about his wife and several children being doctors as well, so that's what set me off a bit. Yes, the health of patients may make his situation more delicate, but the Daily Mail's piece made it more about prestige, I think.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4401444/Name-man-hauled-United-flight-Chicago-revealed.html
      April 11, 2017 9:44 AM MDT

• Seed your point there.  The media loves to report on BS more than tangible things to a story these days.

Plus the Daily Mail is shlock rag tabloid so.   It's not a legit news source really.
      April 11, 2017 9:47 AM MDT

Fair enough. I need to figure out how to customize which "news" sources invade my iPhone feed. O_o
      April 11, 2017 9:53 AM MDT

• I hate those news feed things. lol
      April 11, 2017 9:55 AM MDT

People care about this incident for many reasons.
    1. One being that the man paid for his ticket, had a chair to sit on, and was not on standby. He already had his place. If they were overbooked, he had a seat! People who were not there are the ones who were on standby! 
    2. Next: they asked for volunteers. He did not volunteer.
    3. He felt his job meant life and death for his patients. It means he's a dedicated doctor. It was a matter of life and death. So it should have mattered.
    4. Then they blooded him! Did they give him a concussion? He looked like he passed out. That's abuse! 
    5. They dragged him out. 
    6. People who fly think: "What if that happened to me?" Oooooo, no! 
    7. I haven't seen any reports of his family. I know he was Chinese and that China is upset about it. Discrimination? That's another thing. Why him only? There are over 200 seats in jet planes. That looks fishy. 
      April 11, 2017 9:37 AM MDT

I understand all that... I just happened to read a piece that focused on his career and family, which I thought was odd, given the circumstances.
      April 11, 2017 9:46 AM MDT

It shouldn't have made any difference whether he was a renowned doctor or a chimney sweep.  He paid for his ticket, was in his seat and didn't voluneer to give up his seat. 
      April 11, 2017 11:01 AM MDT

• Dear JA,
    Yes as a former health care professional, I am biased in favor of medical folk, the helping professions.

However your overall point is very well taken, and I do have some thoughts: 
    I read that historically, in old Europe, wealth was perceived as a sign of God's favor...

I think that attitude persists unbeknownst into the present day - and we are not even aware, usually. But those with education, prestige and wealth are automatically considered more worthy, even thought we logically know that to be untrue.
      April 11, 2017 11:19 AM MDT

If people do not watch the BS media the ratings would tell them people demand real news reporting.  Today's American society spends its time on some of the goofiest stuff.  You would think this is the biggest news story of the year.  Hardly!
      April 11, 2017 12:59 PM MDT