Active Now

Slartibartfast
Spunky
Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » SPAMHAUS. A site listing the world's 10 worst spammers. 7/US-based, 2/the Ukraine and 1/Russian. Why do folks spam? Because they can?

SPAMHAUS. A site listing the world's 10 worst spammers. 7/US-based, 2/the Ukraine and 1/Russian. Why do folks spam? Because they can?

Posted - April 11, 2017

Responses

• You know? I've always wondered that. The site I was on months ago when I was a Mod, took me over an hour every early morning removing all that crap. Do they actually think people are going to contact them? I highly doubt it. Used to get whole pages of tech support spam almost every day. Kind of like when you get those phone calls from the guy that works for Windows and you have virus! Most of the spammers on that site were from India. It was a lot of work for one person. I'll never understand what they think they'll gain other than some that actually answer and contact them. Some people have to learn the hard way, I guess.
      April 11, 2017 9:49 AM MDT

I don't understand it either m'dear. So much time invested doing negative stuff to others. It makes no sense to me but I'm guessing that for these people harming/annoying/badgering others is what they get off on! Different strokes I say! Thank you for your reply Rooster and Happy Thursday. You volunteered to be a Mod? Gadzooks you are very brave person! :)
      April 13, 2017 7:51 AM MDT

• Something I'll never do again Rosie. Worked for them almost three years and never once heard a Thank you. Two weeks after I quit being a Mod? They booted me from the site. Guess that was my Thank you.
      April 13, 2017 8:01 AM MDT

On Answerbag I met a gal who became a good friend and with whom I have remained in contact and she was what we called a "CL". Community Leader. We had a few of them and they were the liaison between us and management. If our problems were small and relatively uncomplicated they were able to help us. If they were bigger/more complicated they would let the higher ups know and then they would help us. She got such a rash of sh**!  Of course someone was always going to be upset with her.  There was this one dude who went on a vendetta against her and said he would destroy her. He didn't. She was doing the job the best way she knew how and doing it for free! I wouldn't last a minute. You did that for 3 years?  Good golly you must be made of really tough stuff m'dear!  Booting you from the site was their loss and our gain. I feel like smacking the crap outta them but being as how I'm a very polite little old lady it won't go anywhere!  Worry not! :)
      April 13, 2017 10:47 AM MDT

• It's just such an easy game of numbers.    You really don't have to do anything but get an email list and set a spambot.
    Then let it go in the hopes that a few of the thousands and thousands bite the hook.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 13, 2017 7:51 AM MDT
      April 11, 2017 12:43 PM MDT

I do realize that annoying/undermining/sabotaging/irritating others rings the chimes of these folks. Floats their boats. What I don't know is WHY? Like a bunch of pimply-faced giggling arrested-development nerdy adolescents TeePeeing a tree at Halloween or any other time! I often wonder what kind of adults they turn out to be and maybe it's them what's the Spammers among us. Thank you for your reply Bunny. Of course I'm assuming you don't speak from personal experience.  "Never a borrower nor lender be". Also "Never a Spammer be thee)!  I just tossed that in for the halibut!  :)
      April 13, 2017 7:56 AM MDT

• $$$$$$$$$$
      April 13, 2017 8:03 AM MDT

Ten dollar signs. I'm sure that is significant. I don't know what it means though. Apologies! :)
      April 13, 2017 10:49 AM MDT

• Money.   Email spamming is to make money.
      April 13, 2017 1:00 PM MDT

Oh? How does that work exactly Bunny? Don't spammers annoy the he** outta everybody? I don't mean to be thickheaded but I can't see how that is a good thing. Thank you for trying to get through to me! I mean if I were spammed I would NEVER BUY anything the spammer was trying to sell. Unless...do you mean the spammers get paid at the front end from the folks who want to sell you something and whether you fall for it or not the spammers still make money? 
      April 14, 2017 4:44 AM MDT

USA makes the best spam...go us.

April 11, 2017 2:40 PM MDT

You do know that in Hawaii SPAM is featured on Plate Lunches don't you? I believe more Spam is sold in Hawaii than anywhere else in the world. Do you have a favorite flavor assuming you like it? Thank you for your reply Ele and the graphic! :)
      April 13, 2017 7:48 AM MDT

I enjoy the original Spam too - especially with new potatoes and salad!

As for the Internet "spam"... most of it is for money. Those responsible probably know it annoys most recipients but enough fall for it to make the exercise worth-while to the spammers. Since all they are doing is using their computer to blanket-send the material to great long lists, they might be happy to receive responses from only 1 in a 1000 victims.

If a State is responsible then there may be darker motives such as probing their victims' countries' security and administrative systems.  
      April 30, 2017 4:35 PM MDT