Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » My irreverant question of the year: If Jesus could perform miracles, why didn't he turn the Romans

My irreverant question of the year: If Jesus could perform miracles, why didn't he turn the Romans

into fish and throw them into the Mediterranean Sea?

Posted - April 13, 2017

Responses

Well the Romans did have a huge influence on the UK...many of our place names are from Roman invasion, we have Hadrians wall.. and many Roman roads.... so maybe God wanted the Romans to have that influence?
      April 13, 2017 4:05 PM MDT

My father and his brothers all had roman noses. They were of UK ancestory.  The Romans musta liked the English lasses. Boing!
      April 13, 2017 6:10 PM MDT

• Why....that wouldn't be the "Christian" thing to do! ....or is that Jewish...I dunno.
      April 13, 2017 5:19 PM MDT

Because He was fulfilling the reason, God the Father sent Him to earth. He was doing the Father's will.
      April 13, 2017 7:01 PM MDT

Because Jesus never used his powers to harm others.
      April 13, 2017 11:50 PM MDT

except on a few occasions? For example:

- when he cursed a fig tree for not having fruit even though it was not the fig season Mark 11:14

- when he let demons go into someone's “pigs, and the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea and perished in the waters." Matthew 8:32

- when he made "a whip of cords, he drove them [those buying and selling animals for sacrifices] all out of the temple" John 2:15

April 18, 2017 5:20 PM MDT

If that's your most extreme examples of harm, how do you look at Islam, you know, the religion of peace? You ever see what your brothers in the news are doing to people? 
      April 21, 2017 4:33 AM MDT

I got excited for a minute thinking you'd found an error in my comment and corrected it thereby improving my knowledge of your scripture. But alas no such luck. Instead you want to pull me into discussing what wrongs some Muslims are doing with their vengeful killings and some JWs are doing with their sexual molestation and family breakages. But I'm sticking to the subject under discussion. 
      April 21, 2017 12:57 PM MDT

JW's are disfellowshipped when it is found out someone is not living according to Bible standards. You still count murderers, pedaphiles, wife beaters, or whatever as part of your boasting of your numbers, yes? Even Mohammad was a sexual molester, yes?
      April 21, 2017 8:19 PM MDT

how low can you stoop!
      April 21, 2017 9:33 PM MDT

You try to paint Jesus as a harmful individual and then I just give you a dose of reality of what really is harmful then you paint JW's as sexual molesters and I give you another dose of reality and you ask how low I can stoop?

Notice the difference between Christian writings and Islamic writings in relation to marrying little girls? How old was Aisha when Muhammad married her? How old was she when he deflowered her? Just because Mohammad and the Koran sanctioned sexual molestation as lawful doesn't make it any less heinous.

Surah 65:4 And those who no longer expect menstruation among your women - if you doubt, then their period is three months, and [also for] those who have not menstruated. And for those who are pregnant, their term is until they give birth. And whoever fears Allah - He will make for him of his matter ease.

(1 Corinthians 7:36) But if anyone thinks he is behaving improperly by remaining unmarried, and if he is past the bloom of youth, then this is what should take place: Let him do what he wants; he does not sin. Let them marry.

April 21, 2017 10:02 PM MDT

that's way off the subject and you're free to make of those verses what you will
      April 21, 2017 10:27 PM MDT

My irreverant question of the year: If Jesus could perform miracles, why didn't he turn the Romans

into fish and throw them into the Mediterranean Sea?

=======================================================================================

1- You chose fish and I expect you know fish plays a great part in the Jesus/Christian story, even proselytization is compared to the catching of fish. There are miracles involving fish, from Luke 5:6 when after spending the night with no catches Jesus performs a miracle and “they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to tear” to the most famous of them all in Mark 6:41 when with 5 loaves and two fish Jesus fed 5,000 people and “They all ate and were satisfied”

2- However, the [pun warning] biggest fish miracle, a deception on a grand scale, has gone unrecognised, yet it’s right there in Matthew 12:40. It has to do with Jesus cheating the sentence pronounced by the Romans and escaping death from right under their noses and those of the Jews who had him condemned by bearing false witness against him. There's a lot of evidence supporting this version right in the Bible itself, but here I'll only point to the veiled miracle

3- Signs, meaning MIRACLES, were one way of telling a genuine prophet from false ones. This is why when news spread that the awaited Messiah had come and it was a man called Jesus "certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees" wanting proof that Jesus WAS the Messiah, said to him "Master, we would see a sign from thee" (please check it up in Matthew 12:38)

4- But Jesus was not happy with such a level of doubt from the priestly class. They should know better than the ordinary people who had no trouble recognising him, so "he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but..."and this at Matthew 12:40 is where he predicted the astounding MIRACLE, "...the sign of the prophet Jonas: 40For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth"

5- So what was Jonah's miracle that Jesus was predicting would be repeated for him (Jesus) as well? It was obviously the miracle of being ALIVE when every eye witness seeing what had happened to him would have sincerely sworn that he was dead. This is an astounding fact from Jesus himself that just AS JONAH did not die but WAS miraculously alive IN THE BELLY OF THE WHALE SO SHALL THE SON OF MAN (Jesus) not die on the cross but BE miraculously alive IN THE HEART OF THE EARTH (the tomb) despite the testimony of eye witnesses.

So yes, he did escape death by a miracle that fooled not just the Romans but his other enemies as well.
      April 19, 2017 5:08 AM MDT

Your same old Islamic spin on it huh? Jesus wasn't Jonah, Jesus didn't where exactly the same close that Jonah wore, Jesus didn't likely weigh exactly the same as Jonah, Jesus wasn't exactly the same age as Jonah, not everything of Jesus in the earth was exactly like Jonah in the huge fish. They were both gone for three days, Jonah came out of the fish alive and Jesus came out of the earth alive. Jonah didn't die in his would be grave hence no resurrection but Jesus did die in the tomb hence the resurrection.

(Matthew 20:18, 19) “Look! We are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of man will be handed over to the chief priests and the scribes. They will condemn him to death 19 and hand him over to men of the nations to be mocked and scourged and executed on a stake; and on the third day he will be raised up.”
    (John 18:31, 32) So Pilate said to them: “Take him yourselves and judge him according to your law.” The Jews said to him: “It is not lawful for us to kill anyone.” 32 This was to fulfill the word that Jesus had spoken to indicate what sort of death he was about to die.
    (Matthew 16:21) From that time forward, Jesus began explaining to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes and be killed, and on the third day be raised up.
    (Mark 8:31) Also, he began teaching them that the Son of man must undergo many sufferings and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes and be killed, and rise three days later.
    (Acts 3:13-15) The God of Abraham and of Isaac and of Jacob, the God of our forefathers, has glorified his Servant, Jesus, whom you handed over and disowned before Pilate, even though he had decided to release him. 14 Yes, you disowned that holy and righteous one, and you asked for a man who was a murderer to be given to you, 15 whereas you killed the Chief Agent of life. But God raised him up from the dead, of which fact we are witnesses.
    (Acts 5:30) The God of our forefathers raised up Jesus, whom you killed, hanging him on a stake.

I suppose you think that Jesus was turned into a snake? By everything else in the Bible, a reasonable person would not think that was the point that Jesus was trying to emphasize. 
    (John 3:14) And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so the Son of man must be lifted up,
      April 21, 2017 4:53 AM MDT

just like the vast majority of the Christian world believes Jesus is God despite what Jesus says in the scripture that proves that he was not God similarly the whole of the Christian world will carry on believing that Jesus died on the cross for the sins of the world despite what any part of the scripture says.

I am simply pointing out from the scripture itself one very strong piece of evidence to support the argument that he did not die on the cross. Jesus himself is saying that just as Jonah was alive [by a miracle, of course] so would he, the son of man, be alive [by a miracle, of course]

Did that prediction of Jesus come true, that just as Jonah was miraculously saved from death so would he, Jesus, be miraculously saved from death? There's plenty of evidence in the Bible to suggest that it did. Here are just a very few:

- Jesus did not make a public declaration that his mission was to come to earth to die for the sins of the world.

- Jesus never told any people that the forgiveness of their sins depended on his death

- Jesus told people to pray to God  for the forgiveness of their sins and taught them how to do so

- Jesus related the parable of the prodigal son which was his way of showing how forgiving God is. All a person deeply engrossed in sin has to do is turn in sincere repentance to God and God will forgive him all his past sins and never even mention them to him.

- crucifixion is a tortuous death which took days. Sometimes it took so many days that even the Romans, who chose this method of execution to prolong death, could wait no longer and broke the legs of the person on the cross to speed up the process. Jesus was on the cross for only a few hours.

There's more evidence but I post the above not to persuade anyone to change the way they look at the crucifixion but to point out the facts that are there in the Bible itself for anyone to check out. I have not made up any one of them.
      April 21, 2017 2:16 PM MDT

(Matthew 20:28) Just as the Son of man came, not to be ministered to, but to minister and to give his life as a ransom in exchange for many.”
    (Ephesians 1:7) By means of him we have the release by ransom through the blood of that one, yes, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his undeserved kindness.
    (Romans 5:12) That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned—.
    (1 Timothy 2:6) who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all—this is what is to be witnessed to in its own due time.
    (1 John 4:9, 10) By this the love of God was revealed in our case, that God sent his only-begotten Son into the world so that we might gain life through him. 10 The love is in this respect, not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a propitiatory sacrifice for our sins.
    (John 19:30) When he had received the sour wine, Jesus said: “It has been accomplished!” and bowing his head, he gave up his spirit.
    (John 3:16) “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.
    (John 15:13) No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends.

(Matthew 26:26-28) As they continued eating, Jesus took a loaf, and after saying a blessing, he broke it, and giving it to the disciples, he said: “Take, eat. This means my body.” 27 And taking a cup, he offered thanks and gave it to them, saying: “Drink out of it, all of you, 28 for this means my ‘blood of the covenant,’ which is to be poured out in behalf of many for forgiveness of sins.
    (Luke 22:19) Also, he took a loaf, gave thanks, broke it, and gave it to them, saying: “This means my body, which is to be given in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.”

Jesus never told any of his followers to terrorize anyone, nonbeliever or not.

Surah 8:12 

[Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."

Surah 9:5 

And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

April 21, 2017 8:16 PM MDT