Active Now

Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What have you discovered about yourself interest-wise that you wish you had known about when you were younger? Wh ?

What have you discovered about yourself interest-wise that you wish you had known about when you were younger? Wh ?

Example. Maybe I could have gotten a CPA degree had I known how great an affinity I had for numbers. I became an Internal Auditor eventually but maybe I could have been a CPA. Also maybe if I had worked very hard and had "the right stuff" I might have become a physicist. I'm thinking the odds of that are remote. I don't think I'm smart enough but that whole area of science fascinates me and maybe if I had been exposed to it early enough I might have taken a different path in life. Anything like that in YOUR life?

Posted - April 14, 2017

Responses

My father always told me (when I was a youngster) that I was dumb. My grades in school basically said the same thing. I was a total idiot in mathematics. (still am) However, no one took into consideration that I had a wild imagination. 
      April 14, 2017 6:14 AM MDT

That is a TERRIBLE thing to say to anyone, let alone your own child! It is cruel and hurtful and very damaging. It makes me so angry to hear that bh! Seriously. Having a child  is a privilege and an honor. Guiding him/her to adulthood is a huge responsibility. Crippling that child by saying such things to him/her is unforgivable! I'm glad you survived it. Some children don't. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday m'dear! :)
      April 15, 2017 3:15 AM MDT

• I wish I knew then how much I loved writing!
      April 14, 2017 6:54 AM MDT

It isn't too late Corey. You could take writing classes now couldn't you? Do you write? What genre is your preferred one? Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      April 15, 2017 3:16 AM MDT

• Oh, I already do write now. I'm working on a plot for a original Medieval fantasy series (think like Lord of The Rings). I just meant that I could have developed my skills alittle more by now if I had started earlier. Do you like to read? If you do, check out this short story I've written and let me know what you think. :)
    http://adventuresofsquirllo.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-garden.html?m=1
      April 15, 2017 5:12 AM MDT

I'm honored that you provided me with a link sweetie. I will read it! You know scifi is my favorite literary genre. Fantasy is my cuppa tea! I love to see creativity/imagination in action! I'll click on the link and read it. Many thanks Corey!  :)
      April 15, 2017 5:14 AM MDT

I just read it Corey. I "saw" it in my mind's eye. Is this already in print? It would make a perfect children's book.  Do you know any illustrator of children's books ? I saw in my mind everything you described. You created a very different world and drew me in. I don't know how familiar you are with children's books but I think this story line would be well-suited to that. Parents would love the lesson therein and kids would relate to the squirrel. Do you have an agent? Thank you for sharing it with me. I appreciate it. I enjoyed it. Of course it had a surprise ending which is always good. I had no idea what was to come. I even thought he would be dreaming it, wake up and have learned his lesson. But that would be the typical Deus ex Machina device. This is better! :)                                                                                 
      April 15, 2017 5:42 AM MDT

• I'm so glad you liked it. No, it's not in print, just my personal blog. The idea came from my mother. She planted a flower garden and a squirrel kept messing with the flowers and eating the bird seed, lol. To keep her from chasing the squirrel off, I named it Squirllo and wrote this story in about 9 non-consecutive hours. I posted it for her on my social media page, lol. I'm currently working on a second short story for Squirllo that I want to set the stage for a children's book though. I'll send you a link to that to when I finish it if you'd like.
      April 15, 2017 6:45 AM MDT

Oh good! Squirllo would make a good subject for a series of children's books. As he grows older the lessons he learns grow with him. I bet your mom is so very proud of you. I would like to read whatever links you'd like to share Corey. Geez. I have an internet pal who is a real life writer! Who knew? :):):)
      April 15, 2017 6:52 AM MDT

• I'm not really an official writer. I don't have anything published yet, though I really appreciate the compliment :) It's in the making though! If you really do want more, I started a small series I called DayZ Journals. It's still in the making because I stopped to write Squirllo.
    http://thedayzjournals.blogspot.com/?m=1
      April 15, 2017 9:58 AM MDT

• I wish now that I hadn't been hesitant or overly cautious in my approach to athletics. I was shy and afraid of failure and it tended to inhibit my efforts. I think that I might have overcome these obstacles and become competent in combat sports or maybe track and field events. Oddly, it was theatrics that brought me out of the shell and established me as someone with the poise I needed in life.
      April 14, 2017 9:19 PM MDT

I wish it were possible to have a "magic crystal ball" that we could look into early on to see whom we would have become. I've always said I wouldn't look because that would take all the surprise/adventure out of life but I have reconsidered!  It's funny that you mention "fear of failure" driftwood. I was always terrified of failing and now?  Heck it doesn't matter to me at all. It doesn't bother me to fail/be wrong. I wish I had known early on that failing is how you learn and grow. SIGH. I had a short-term brush with the theater as well. A bit in high school and then a bit as an adult. My then best-friend was a budding actress. She took drama classes Monday nights and Friday  nights in Hollywood so for a brief while I did too. It was fun while it lasted! Thank you for your very thoughtful reply and Happy Saturday to you m'dear!  :)
      April 15, 2017 3:11 AM MDT