Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Beauty » Aren't eyes mirror of one's soul?

Aren't eyes mirror of one's soul?

In eyes I see the hues of life,
Speck of sunlight beam as if gaffe,
As life passes,youthful looks may change,
so also pliable,palpitating heart may range!
But eyes remain steady and firm,
for therein lies soul in naked form,
eyes never betray, always real and true,
whether it be brown black or blue!

A tiny tribute by me 'Eyes - God or Nature's greatest gift..'

Posted - April 14, 2017

Responses

• I think my mirror needs cleaning
      April 15, 2017 1:10 AM MDT

Perhaps;))
      April 15, 2017 8:56 AM MDT

• It was pretty bloody lame answer... Personally I would have just pretended I didn't see it
      April 15, 2017 8:58 AM MDT

Umm ah....ok ok I understand;))
      April 15, 2017 8:59 AM MDT

• It's a poetic way of looking at things rather than literal but there may be some truth in it. 

If we consider that the soul is the life force, the insubstantial something that vitalises all the physical bits and bobs that go to make up who we are, then yes, it's possible that the eyes may mirror the soul. Or do they only mirror the mind? Or is there even a difference between the soul and the mind? 

We've all known people who were so vivacious, so full of life, that their eyes were alive and sparkling; we've also known people whose dull eyes reflected their lack of enthusiasm and lack of imagination. So, yeah, I'll accept it as literally true -- up to a point. :)

April 15, 2017 1:29 AM MDT

I love your response as always Didge! A beautiful question, do eyes mirror your soul or mind? The great Roman philosopher Cicero said, "The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter." In the bible Matthew reveals, "The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!"
    They focused on patterns in crypts - threads which radiate from the pupil - and contraction furrows - lines curving around the outer edge - which are formed when the pupils dilate.
    Their findings showed those with denselypacked crypts are more warmhearted, tender, trusting, and likely to sympathise with others. In comparison, those with more contraction furrows were more neurotic, impulsive and likely to give way to cravings.
    The researchers argued that eye structure and personality could be linked because the genes responsible for the development of the iris also play a role in shaping part of the frontal lobe of the brain, which influences personality.
    A bit of Hinduism too....please bear either me;))
    Darshan is a Hindu concept. It comes from a Sanskrit word meaning “Seeing and being seen by God”. Well, most traditions declare we are made in the image of God, so why not? If you look deep into another’s soul or Being, you should be able to see God there. And by the way, what you see is just a reflection of yourself too…!

It may have a formal setting, where the Master or Teacher sits in front of the class and encourages them to share darshan with him. He pours out his gaze; students return it and learn the mysteries of God. Ramana Maharshi, a great twentieth century teacher and one of the great givers of darshan, said “When the eyes of the student meet the gaze of the teacher, words of instruction are no longer necessary.”

April 15, 2017 8:56 AM MDT

• Wow! Do much to think about. Thanks for making the effort. :)
      April 15, 2017 2:04 PM MDT

;))
      April 15, 2017 8:30 PM MDT

I heard some describe looking into Qaddafi's eyes as being like gazing into total darkness.
      April 15, 2017 3:32 PM MDT

• I understand that completely. I've seen a reflection of that -- a very pale reflection -- in the eyes of only one person. He wasn't a bad man but he'd had some awful experiences and they stunted his normal emotions. I only saw him reveal himself once (back about 1985) but I never forgot it.
      April 15, 2017 3:56 PM MDT

Lovely poem.... superb imagery. 

And it holds more than a grain of truth.. tho some people can be very good at hiding what they feel and others are not good at picking up on cues.
      April 15, 2017 1:52 AM MDT

Thank you daydreamer for your kind words.Love your statement about 'feelings';))
      April 15, 2017 8:44 AM MDT

•  I don't know whether there the mirror to ones soul, but I always have relied on reading them, & to date it's worked for me.
      April 15, 2017 3:04 AM MDT

Me too Austrans, eyes can never lie!
      April 15, 2017 8:40 AM MDT

• btw I loved your poem. 
      April 15, 2017 6:03 PM MDT

Umm thank you;))
      April 15, 2017 8:26 PM MDT

• Dear Veena.K,
    I loved your poem, it's inspiring!
    And yes I believe it, too. So much so that at one time, I used to keep photos around of people whom I admire and trust...just to see their faces especially the eyes, for centering.

April 15, 2017 6:11 AM MDT

Thank you dear Virginia, I love your pearls of wisdom you scatter here almost unknowingly sometimes,Eyes convey a lot and you are so right, keeping photos of those whom you admire and trust gives a lot of hope, ( 'my role model is Mother Teresa, her eyes beckon you to love and kindness!)
      April 15, 2017 8:38 AM MDT

Sweet
      April 15, 2017 9:39 AM MDT

She was considered and reverend as a Saint in India even before she was conferred with sainthood Baba!
      April 15, 2017 8:28 PM MDT

well, of course
    I would say that our third eye 
    is the mirror of our Soul :)) haha
    .....but this would only make sense to one
    that has experienced this inner revelation.
      April 15, 2017 7:50 AM MDT

Yes Baba I know what you mean and I have a long,long way to go....I know how 'learned' you are when it comes to spirituality!
    Baba, please see this extract.....I am very influenced by it-

Eye Gaze: An individual’s eye contact with another individual or with an object. Eye contact is a nonverbal form of communication. The eyes are the “windows to the soul.” When we gaze deeply into the eyes of another person, we can see beyond their physical body and personality into their essence. The practice of eye gazing is an ancient practice found in both Hindu and Buddhist Tantra as well as in the Sufi tradition. This practice is considered to be a path to enlightenment. It is a wonderful way to connect at the soul level.
      April 15, 2017 8:32 AM MDT

will share a little here with you.

When I was in India, stopped to see the Taj Mahal.
    Walking toward it, there were three Indian women
    walking toward me. Both women on the outside
    were holding the arms of the middle woman.
         The woman in the middle and I
    looked into each others eyes as we passed,
    My gaze went right through her and came out into 
    a sweet field of flowers, Her legs buckled and the other two women 
    had to hold her up, my legs buckled and I thought I was going to collapse.
      What an incredible experience, and I looked back as they walked away
    hearing the two women say to the woman in the middle, "You cannot look back
    you must continue forward"
         The possibilities of experience are endless.
    If the mind is without thoughts
    and the ego has dissolved, the heart
    will open up to reveal the deepest of experiences,
    so yes the Truth is deep and can unmask the illusion
    through our vision.
    Cheers Veena
      April 15, 2017 10:03 AM MDT

• What a fabulous experience. It's something that would always seem fresh.
      April 15, 2017 2:08 PM MDT