Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Can anyone provide a simple explanation as to why Americans have more tendency to making up and believing conspiracy theories?

Can anyone provide a simple explanation as to why Americans have more tendency to making up and believing conspiracy theories?

Conspiracy theories and conspiracy theorists... It's a fascinating social and psychological phenomenon and of course some of them are just fun or funny... but many people believe them very seriously.. and I wondered why America is so prone to and enamoured with the conspiracy theory?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/why-are-so-many-americans-in-the-thrall-of-conspiracy-theorists-a6775921.html

https://newrepublic.com/article/138033/trump-supporters-susceptible-conspiracy-theories

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-people-believe-in-conspiracy-theories/

Posted - April 15, 2017

Responses

• Comics read as kids perhaps.. Based on unreality I could imagine the same belief being carried into adulthood.. Guessing of course
    But
      April 15, 2017 3:28 AM MDT

That's an interesting idea... but then again don't we all read comics as kids? America is home to the superhero I know that... I was always kinda fond of spiderman myself :)
      April 15, 2017 3:49 AM MDT

• What you say is true about others reading them. Maybe other surrounding social cues which reinforce it though
      April 15, 2017 4:07 AM MDT

Definitely plausible.. thank you :)
      April 15, 2017 5:10 AM MDT

• Dear DDB,
     I will tell you that I have been surprised at the intensity of fear and conspiracy theories that I hear in talking to people, but until now had not considered that might be more common in the USA. The first time I can recall is around 1990, really intense conspiracy ideas among people I was working with.

Looking through your articles, here is another idea I thought of: 
    The USA is a country where the natural resources seemed unlimited, opportunity infinite. Now we are facing the reality that those resources are depleting. Somehow we know the resources were not handled very well, and maybe the conspiracy theories grow partly out of our attempts to understand why? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 15, 2017 7:00 AM MDT
      April 15, 2017 5:43 AM MDT

• Virginia, I think at the heart of this question lies done words no one wants to say.. Critical thinking.. And that only comes from education... The popular stereotype conspiracy nut is uneducated, gets his information from unverified sources with no filtering... You see it everyday with kids and calculators... 4 *8 = 596..
     Often they'll just accept that because thinking is hard... Maybe
      April 15, 2017 6:43 AM MDT

• Ozgirl, critical thinking is a tremendous factor. And yes, it is hard...I see that more and more in my own life.
      April 15, 2017 7:05 AM MDT

• Not on your part... I see your answers and erudite always Springs to mind
      April 15, 2017 7:22 AM MDT

I think it is because be have a more free press and access to information. We also are taught from a young age to celebrate independent thought, to question the status quo, and challenge authority. 

We like to say "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" while many other countries that like to push political correctness and uniformity prefer to say "the nail that stands up gets hammered down". 
      April 15, 2017 5:52 AM MDT

• Your idea is intriguing, My2¢.
      April 15, 2017 6:00 AM MDT

Hello A:

The FAIRNESS DOCTRINE was a policy of the United States Federal Communications Commission, introduced in 1949, that required the holders of broadcast licenses both to present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was — in the Commission's view — honest, equitable, and balanced. The FCC, which was believed to have been under pressure from then President Ronald Reagan, eliminated the Doctrine in 1987. The FCC formally removed the language that implemented the Doctrine, in August of 2011.

The Fairness Doctrine had two basic elements: It required broadcasters to devote some of their airtime to discussing controversial matters of public interest, and to air contrasting views regarding those matters. Stations were given wide latitude as to how to provide contrasting views: It could be done through news segments, public affairs shows, or editorials. The doctrine did not require equal time for opposing views but required that contrasting viewpoints be presented. The demise of this FCC rule has been considered by some to be a contributing factor for the rising level of party polarization in the United States.

goody

This post was edited by excon at April 15, 2017 12:29 PM MDT
      April 15, 2017 6:48 AM MDT

• goody2shoos, I did not even realize that, ty for the information.
      April 15, 2017 7:07 AM MDT

Hello V:

FOX News could NOT exist under the Fairness Doctrine..  That's why the right wing had to get rid of it.

goody
      April 15, 2017 7:18 AM MDT

• Hi Goody,
    I did some browsing...and in a Washington Post article found this, indeed:
    "The decision (to revoke the Fairness Doctrine) has been credited with the explosion of conservative talk radio in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s." 

So the doctrine does seem to influence conservative broadcasters more; however, I have read that both FOX news and the liberal MSNBC, neither of them have their own reporting staff. They simply glean news from other sources and broadcast their own spin.

This WPost article indicates issues of free speech, First Amendment...seems like the Fairness Doctrine would be an expression of free speech to me...again, thank you I have learned something this morning!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-fairness-doctrine-in-one-post/2011/08/23/gIQAN8CXZJ_blog.html?utm_term=.cd77cfc840c8
      April 15, 2017 8:10 AM MDT

Fox News has liberals on to present the left side of issues.  So no the Fairness Doctrine would not effect Fox.
      April 15, 2017 8:34 AM MDT

• IOW, there's a conspiracy theory in other countries that we embrace conspiracy theories. Sounds like a conspiracy against Americans. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get my orders from Illuminati leadership before I leave on vacation.
      April 15, 2017 7:19 AM MDT

The premise is flawed. Americans are no more prone to conspiracy theories than any other group of citizens from another country. Your cited articles are wrong.

Low education and a lack of exposure to events outside one's environment are the main factors for gullibility and simplistic thinking. These factors exist in greater abundance in most countries outside America.   
      April 15, 2017 11:01 AM MDT

• Conspiracy-theory thinking seems to stem from a mindset of wanting to project your own problems onto something else: it's never your own fault, it's the "system", it's "society", it's some shadowy organization that pulls the world's strings. I don't know if Americans are more prone to this kind of thinking than citizens of other nations, but it's appealing to many to have the things wrong with your life explainable by some outside conspiratorial force that you can't control. 
      April 15, 2017 11:04 AM MDT

Recoginition that conspiracies happen daily, perhaps?  Certainly there are some really wild theories out there, but factually it is those who believe all conspiracy theories are bunk who are the ones who need their heads examined.  That conspiracies happen is precisely why we have laws against conspiring.   
      April 15, 2017 11:21 AM MDT

• Perhaps American have insights into truth others miss.
      April 15, 2017 5:23 PM MDT