Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Naturalized citizens work hard to become part of a country. They CHOOSE it. Are they better citizens than those who are native-born? Why?

Naturalized citizens work hard to become part of a country. They CHOOSE it. Are they better citizens than those who are native-born? Why?

Posted - April 15, 2017

Responses

Maybe.  But I would need to interview each one and test their motives.

Many are planning for a more secure future and many are dreaming of a life that is not gonna happen and are looking for success in all the wrong places. 
      April 15, 2017 8:47 AM MDT

Lumping all people of certain demographics into a single category can be misleading. Not every person who carries out an act does so in the same manner as all other people who carry out the same act.

For instance, when my wife became an American citizen, it was a breeze for her. She aced not only the naturalization test but also the interview. Unlike some others, she didn't have to retake the test or get called back for follow-up interviews. She had no criminal background issues to overcome, no embarrassing episodes from her teenage years, no connections to any subversive groups, no lapses of time where she couldn't explain her whereabouts, she had proof of a lifelong history of good moral character. She submitted her application, followed the instructions, etc.

Some people have much different experiences. There are people who jump through hoops, people who get denied and have to continually re-apply.  There are people who have to struggle for it.  They may be the ones to whom you refer, but that's not everyone's journey. 

-

April 15, 2017 12:18 PM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply and for sharing your personal experience  Randy. Your wife sounds like one smart cookie. Happy Sunday. I just think we appreciate more what we have to work hard for than what is handed to us. I shall ask that question in fact.
      April 16, 2017 5:23 AM MDT

You're not (backhandedly) implying that it was handed to her, are you?
    -
      April 16, 2017 5:29 PM MDT

Only YOU would read something insulting into what I wrote Randy.  I was complimenting you on your wife's ability and intelligence. You read into an honest compliment something else. SIGH. I don't know why. Happy Monday.
      April 17, 2017 5:54 AM MDT

No, it's not only me.  There is a possibility that anyone could have taken your statement either way. In fact, when I first read it, I considered it complimentary on face value, when I read it a second time in context with the entire conversation, I wondered if you were contradicting my rebuttal. One of the difficulties of internet-based writing is that its one-dimensional platform doesn't allow for mood, tense, inflection, etc. 

Based on your last reply, I now know that I erred, and I retract my last one. Instead, I thank you for your supportive comment. 
    ~
      April 17, 2017 7:40 AM MDT