Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Why is there no Dept of Grammar in the US presidential cabinet?

Why is there no Dept of Grammar in the US presidential cabinet?

When you become president of the United States, you WILL appoint me as the first ever Secretary of Grammar, won't you?

(Of course, I won't accept the position if it doesn't carry a death penalty clause for violators. Oh, and I'll need you to grant me my own body of law enforcement officers with broad powers, little oversight, unlimited arrest authority, a secret multi-billion dollar budget, sweeping immunity, you know, all the usual necessities that keep a mini-regime functioning.)
~

Posted - April 15, 2017

Responses

It's much too intellectual for them... 
      April 15, 2017 2:19 PM MDT

Please - they want to get rid of the Department of Education, so for what would they need a Department of Grammar?
      April 15, 2017 2:24 PM MDT

Grammar promotes clarity in communication.  Apparently Trump prefers "unpredictability" in all areas.
      April 15, 2017 3:14 PM MDT

Trump's administration is not the first, last or only.
    __
      April 15, 2017 10:07 PM MDT

When I take over and become dictator get elected President of the United States in a fair and democratic election I'll create the Department of Grammar and make you Secretary of Grammar if you promise to imprison unfriendly journalists and jail members of the opposition party  faithfully execute your responsibilities and duties under the law!

I'll have to pay you with apostrophes.

Do we have a deal?
      April 15, 2017 10:35 PM MDT

I'm not sure if I can trust you; there should be a comma after the word "election".

:(
      April 16, 2017 2:58 PM MDT

I had one there but I needed an extra apostrophe to pay the mob boss  one of my business associates.  I gave him the comma and told him it was an apostrophe.  He didn't notice.
      April 17, 2017 1:18 AM MDT

Oh, I see that it's going to be one of "those" administrations. Just line my pockets with cash and I'll turn a blind eye to any shenanigans pay me an honest day's wage for an honest day's work, and I'll make sure my department runs smoothly. (WINK.)

~
      April 17, 2017 5:38 AM MDT

• Because that would just lead to the stagnation of our language. 
      April 17, 2017 1:31 AM MDT