Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Legal » Why isn't Lobbying illegal? Don't ALL lobbyists bribe Pols to vote in certain ways? How can that possibly be OK?

Why isn't Lobbying illegal? Don't ALL lobbyists bribe Pols to vote in certain ways? How can that possibly be OK?

Posted - April 16, 2017

Responses

• This is what you'd call vested interest, Rosie. The very people who would vote on the legislation to make lobbying illegal are exactly the ones who benefit from it's practices. 

Not only do our crooked turd politicians receive untold happy bennies from lobbyists, they can also have lucrative careers lobbying their old cronies awaiting them when/if they leave office. Though I think there is a brief mandatory waiting period now between the two. 

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 16, 2017 9:54 AM MDT
      April 16, 2017 6:37 AM MDT

AARRGGHH! Vested interest! Shouldn't the ONLY vested interest of Pols be to do "the right thing" for their constituents? Shouldn't that be their ONLY consideration? These Pols KNOW the folks they rolled over for will have cushy jobs waiting for them when they leave government so that they can go out and "bribe" their former pals in Congress. And so it goes. An endless line of folks taking advantage of we the people for their own gain. We know it goes on. Why is it that we cannot STOP it Z? Is that a dumbly naive question? I thought Pols were our employees and worked for us. That's what we pay them to do. Setting aside ethical questions/honor/intgegrity how do they get away with voting for whomever pays them more? SIGH. Thank you for your reply Z and Happy Sunday to thee! :)
      April 16, 2017 10:01 AM MDT

Hello Rosie:

Lobbying is fine..  When I'm in DC, I lobby..  But, lobbying is NOT bribing.  We HAD limits on how much a lobbyist can contribute to political campaigns..  But, right wingers got rid of 'em..  I wonder why..

goody
      April 16, 2017 7:57 AM MDT

You? A lobbyist? Seriously goody what's a guy like you doing in a racket like that? Thank you for your reply..D'ya wine 'em and dine 'em? Aren't  they supposed to do the right thing no matter how hard others try to cajole them and sway them? Here's comes another question. :)
      April 16, 2017 9:53 AM MDT

Hello again, Rosie:

No..  I'm a citizen.  As such, when I'm in Washington, I make my presence felt.  I have a few friends..  That's not to say I'm effective in my lobbying, but I lobby anyway..  Lobbying is something we all do.  Writing on this site could be considered lobbying.. 

goody
      April 16, 2017 10:20 AM MDT

Oh. That's different! Way different. You know some people who know some people. It isn't how you earn your living. No one PAYS you to talk to specific people, spend time with them, break bread with them even. Sure. I'd do that too. What could it hurt to advance reasons pro or con whatever you're interested in among contacts you might have? Pols are supposed to WANT to communicate with their constituents to know what they are thinking. Okay. I get it goody! Thank you for the clarification and Happy Monday! :)
      April 17, 2017 6:40 AM MDT