Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Does Easter Sunday have significance in any other religion besides Christianity? Which and why?

Does Easter Sunday have significance in any other religion besides Christianity? Which and why?

Posted - April 16, 2017

Responses

• Many of the older, now largely extinct pagan faiths, from which Christianity co-opted/hijacked many of its traditions, observed spring rituals and celebrations of the rebirth and renewal inherent in the passing of winter; which were also predicated on phases of the moon, as the Lenten season (Ash Wed to Easter Sunday) is. 
    Those ancient Pagans did not have the Gregorian Calender to pinpoint their observances to a set day or days of the week as Christians do now. Sunday, as the requisite day of worship for Christians, was an easy choice for the founding clerics to recognize their faith's most significant event, the Resurrection of Christ. There is however, no accounting in the NT of what day of the week it actually occurred. 
    The Jewish faith observes Passover, commemorating the Exodus from slavery, during this same time of year (the period following the first full moon after the Vernal Equinox) per traditional Canon dating from distant antiquity, long before the advent of Christianity. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 29, 2017 3:26 AM MDT
      April 16, 2017 7:12 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful and very informative reply Z and Happy Saturday to thee! :)
      April 29, 2017 3:26 AM MDT

Yup

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/bible-about-easter/

What Does the Bible Say About Easter?

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/why-not-celebrate-easter/

Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Easter?

April 16, 2017 8:02 AM MDT

True Christianity has no link to the celebration of easter.
      April 28, 2017 11:11 PM MDT

Why do you say that  Autumn?
      April 29, 2017 3:22 AM MDT

Rosie, the following is information from an article written about Easter:

To establish the authenticity of an artifact, attention to detail is critical. Similarly, for us to see whether easter is a Christian celebration, it is essential that we take a look at the details related to Easter.
    First of all, Jesus asked his followers to commemorate not his resurrection, but his death. The apostle Paul calied this occasion "the Lord's evening meal."-1corinthians 11:20; Luke 22:19,20.
    Additionally, many of the Easter traditions "have little to do" with Jesus' resurrection, states the Brittanica, "but derive from folks customs." For instance, regarding the symbols of the egg and rabbit, the  encyclopedia of religion says: "the egg symbolizes new life breaking through the apparent death  (hardness)of the eggshell." It adds: "the rabbit was known as an extraordinarily fertile creature, hence it symbolized the coming of spring."
    Philippe Walte, a professor of medieval literature, explains how such customs became part of the Easter celebration. He wrote that "ino the process of the christianization of pagan religions, it was easy to associate the pagan festival that celebrated "the passage from the death of winter to the life of springtime" with Jesus resurrection. Walter adds that it was a key step in introducing "Christian conmemorations" to the pagan calendar, thus smoothing the way to mass conversion. 
    This process of "christianization" did not occur while the apostles were still alive, because they acted as a "restraint" against paganism. (2thessalonians 2:7)the apostle Paul warned that after his "going away," men would "rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves."(acts 20:29,30)And late in the first century, the apostle John wrote that some men were already misleading Christians. (1john 2:18,26)the way was open for the eventual adoption of pagan customs.
    Some may feel, however,  that allowing some of the Easter customs was not wrong-that it gave  "pagans" a better understanding of the meaning of Jesus' resurrection. Paul, however, would never have agreed. Although exposed to many pagan  customs while traveling through the Roman Empire, he never adopted any of them to give people a better understanding of Jesus. On the contrary, he warned the Christians: "do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers, for what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? Therefore, get out from among them, and separate yourselves,' says Jehovah, and quite touching the unclean thing."-2corinthians 6:14,17,
    The conclusion of this is? It has clearly revealed that easter is not a Christian celebration. Thanks rosie:)))
      May 5, 2017 12:55 AM MDT

((hugs)) It is very thoughtful and kind of you to have gone to all this trouble for me (maybe "us" if other Answermuggers read this superbly informative reply).  Thanks my friend. I appreciate you! I did not know this so thank you for educating me once again.. Happy Friday Autumn! :) ((hugs)) I know I already hugged you but this reply deserves at least two hugs! :)
      May 5, 2017 3:40 AM MDT

And you deserve three!! :)).!!!
      May 5, 2017 8:46 AM MDT

Seriously rosie I don't do this for just anyone. I stayed up till midnight just for you:)). It was more than worth it!!! Happy Friday to you too!!:)))
      May 5, 2017 8:53 AM MDT

Honestly my friend I don't know what I did to deserve you and all your kindness and PATIENCE and helping me to understand things I don't know for as long as we've been friends. You have never once been condescending or arrogant just because you know a lot of a stuff I don't. You are a very good teacher by the way. I have always appreciated those who can impart information I don't know without making me feel STUPID. You would be surprised (or maybe not) at how often that has happened. Being talked down to is not my favorite thing. You NEVER do that. Maybe it's because you know that I am very sincere and wanting to "know" things I don't.  Anyway thank you for BEING YOU. I benefit every time we talk. I know you enjoy sharing knowledge and that's really helpful. Also you are always thorough. I never feel that you give me a slapdash hipshot answer. I bet you couldn't do that even if you tried very hard! Happy Saturday Autumn! :) ((hugs)) ((hugs))  ((hugs))  ((hugs)) This post was edited by RosieG at May 10, 2017 7:43 PM MDT
      May 6, 2017 5:28 AM MDT

Rosie, as you may know by now, i'm not exactly tech savvy, the following comment was and is for you! :(
      May 7, 2017 7:36 AM MDT

Rosie, your comment means a lot to me!! I've said this before, so I don't mean to sound repetitive, it is a real pleasure to share the Bible's views on questions you post!. To have this knowledge is the beginning of wisdom. I consider myself privileged to come across someone like you, and now have this friendship. You know I won't always give you the answer you want, but rather the answer that may help you have a spiritual viewpoint. A connection we all need to the One who is so desiring of your wellbeing. (Romans 11:33) Have yourself a great Sunday my friend!! Always here at your disposItion!!! :)) This post was edited by Autumnleaves at May 7, 2017 7:41 AM MDT
      May 7, 2017 7:32 AM MDT