Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Does live streaming increase crimes or would those recording still commit the crimes even if they weren't streaming?

Does live streaming increase crimes or would those recording still commit the crimes even if they weren't streaming?

There's a man in Ohio who used Facebook live streaming today while shooting someone. The details are pretty vague so far, but the police have confirmed it's legit. Streaming crimes, particularly violent ones, seems to be on the rise (personal observation). Do you think these people would still be committing violent crimes if live streaming wasn't available or is technology influencing their decisions?

http://amp.cleveland.com/v1/articles/20497310/man_accused_of_broadcasting_ea.amp

Posted - April 16, 2017

Responses

Good question.  I don't know.  I suspect most would be committed anyway, but probably a few are tipped from being just a possibility to becoming reality because of the live streams.  
      April 16, 2017 4:19 PM MDT

• I would assume most of them would have committed the crimes either way, but fame and attention is something desired by many criminals, and live-streaming a crime is a one-way ticket to instant notoriety. At the same time, however, the omnipresence of cameras and social media allows crimes that might have otherwise been covered up to be exposed. It's a double-edged sword. 
      April 16, 2017 5:15 PM MDT

They might have recorded and uploaded it just the same for those inclined to use technology to publicize their misdeeds.
      April 16, 2017 5:17 PM MDT

• Who knows... The actual idea of deliberately hurting anyone is so foreign to me as to make me unable to have an opinion... Yeah, I know, a first for me
      April 16, 2017 7:21 PM MDT

I saw it moments ago on TV....just horrible...;((
      April 16, 2017 8:02 PM MDT

• I doubt it.   These psychopathic cowards have always existed.  They're just overgrown children. Weaklings who crave power to validate themselves to their own poison existence.  That's exactly what they are too.  Walking, talking, breathing poison in the flesh.
    Honestly I think these internet videos are just so rewarding to their pathetic needs it works more like a trap for them than a motivation.
      April 17, 2017 9:08 AM MDT