Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
my2cents
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Serious Q - suppose it was possible for ordinary folk like us to be resurrected,would that help us to atone the sins we commit in this life?

Serious Q - suppose it was possible for ordinary folk like us to be resurrected,would that help us to atone the sins we commit in this life?

Posted - April 16, 2017

Responses

• Resurrection implies "you" coming back... Along with all your human foibles... I think the karmic debt would just grow each time
      April 16, 2017 8:21 PM MDT

We ordinary people will be resurrected. But not to atone for sins but because Jesus atoned for all our sins

1 Corinthians 15:12-19New International Version (NIV)

The Resurrection of the Dead

12 But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied

This post was edited by my2cents at April 16, 2017 10:30 PM MDT
      April 16, 2017 8:41 PM MDT

We have but one life to live. Live it well, live it just and live it pleasing to the God of Abraham because when the first resurrection comes the dead in Christ/Jesus shall rise and be forever with our Lord. The second resurrection will be to judge with your sins laid out and plain to see. Even then the just and unjust alike will proclaim "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord. How great thou art". This post was edited by O-uknow at April 17, 2017 10:12 AM MDT
      April 16, 2017 8:59 PM MDT

• I do not see how you connect these two ideas.  By what means would raising from death be atonement?
      April 16, 2017 9:09 PM MDT

I say the second resurrection, not including the resurrection of Christ, is judgment.
      April 16, 2017 9:32 PM MDT

• I don't think a second chance at life would help most people. Unfortunately we'd probably just make the same mistakes the second time around. That's why we only get one shot at it. 
      April 16, 2017 9:59 PM MDT

I'm not sure whether it's just a coincidence but the HQ says something almost identical at HQ 6:27-28 about those who find themselves face to face with their fate in the hereafter, they “will say, "Oh, would that we were returned back [to life]: then we would not deny our Sustainer Lord's [warning] signs regarding [what we can now see as real] and we would be among the believers!" But nay -[they will say this only because] the truth which they used to conceal [from themselves] in the past will have become revealed to them [as truth which they now wanted to escape]; and if they were returned back, they would certainly return to the very thing which was forbidden to them: for behold, they are just [compulsive] liars”

April 21, 2017 9:28 PM MDT

if the concept of sin remains in your mind, you can never really get full atonement. but if you liberate yourself of this enslavement, you can then journey unto an actual salvation: forgiveness. forgiveness within your soul and for actions that were harmful and call for forgiveness, not sins that cling to your basic instincts as a human.
      April 16, 2017 11:56 PM MDT