Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Don't you just HATE it when your personal experience is dismissed as aberrational? When does enough anecdotal evidence become cold

Don't you just HATE it when your personal experience is dismissed as aberrational? When does enough anecdotal evidence become cold

hard data? ;(

Posted - April 16, 2017

Responses

When it becomes so to you...
      April 16, 2017 9:59 PM MDT

• Anecdotal evidence may never become hard evidence for other people. It's personal for a reason. But it's up to you whether that matters or not. 
      April 16, 2017 10:01 PM MDT

• Nicely spoken, Nevan
      April 16, 2017 11:30 PM MDT

No, not so much that it is personal but it relies on personal testimony when evidence is unavailable. After gathering enough personal testimony you must begin to ask are all these people delusional? Are they lying or is there data here relating to truth. A simple denial and decision not to believe until evidence that may never present itself appears seems unreasonable and close minded. What might the important thing be that has a reason is the lack of evidence. This post was edited by O-uknow at April 17, 2017 8:55 AM MDT
      April 17, 2017 7:37 AM MDT

Actually what one experiences only he/she can understand. A personal experience and its effect is felt only by one who undergoes it, expecting 'others' to be in our shoes is expecting a lot..!
      April 16, 2017 10:28 PM MDT

I understand many personal experiences. No problem but not to say I agree with the interpretation 100 % of the time. It is personal only because it is information from personal testimony NOT because it is not a shared experience. Many personal testimonies have been shared experiences. This post was edited by O-uknow at April 17, 2017 7:45 AM MDT
      April 17, 2017 7:29 AM MDT

• Hi O-uknow,
    I think our personal experience parallels scientific progress...the people who listen to your personal experience, just like those who peer review your scientific studies, they can never understand until they are 'ready.'

And there is a saying in the sciences that the old guard simply never does get it. Progress happens when those with one mindset just die off, and the new generation comes in.

My suggestion? Don't even tell your anecdotal evidence; when you are yourself convinced then just proceed on.
      April 16, 2017 11:38 PM MDT