Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » If pre-emptive strikes are justifiable and countries get away with it why can't individuals engage in pre-emptive whenever? What's the diff?

If pre-emptive strikes are justifiable and countries get away with it why can't individuals engage in pre-emptive whenever? What's the diff?

Posted - April 17, 2017

Responses

Individuals can engage in pre-emptive strikes but it is a fine line to walk. If someone is using a weapon in a threatening manor toward you, you do not have to wait till they injure you to defend yourself.
      April 17, 2017 7:48 AM MDT

True. If you can actually SEE the weapon in hand and the person advancing toward you. However if the person brags about the harm he will do and NEVER does anything at all to you but brag can you still defend yourself from the potential that might occur based on his boasting/bragging/goading? I dunno Deaves . It is just like the STAND YOUR GROUND justification for murder. All the  wimpy scairdy cat wingnut needs to say is "I feared for my life" and he gets away free and clear with MURDER. It's the American way ya know. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      April 17, 2017 11:19 AM MDT

In the case of national security the leaders have a different case to contend with.
    We have been listening to North Korea BS for decades. The difference now is they do have nuclear weapons and a way to deliver them at least short range. Can they nuke San Fransisco? probably not but what about Guam, Hawaii or our allies South Korea and Japan.

The likely hood of NK actually launching a strike is very remote. China has to much to lose if they did. China will stop NK to protect China's interest. China has a lot to lose if NK did attack with nukes.

If our intelligence showed they were planning to launch then destroying their launch site would be justifiable to protect the thousands of lives at risk of a nuclear blast.

I suspect NK's military's leader know full well a war with the US would last for a very short time. China would not defend them this time.
    If the US blocked all of China's imports China's economy would collapse. This post was edited by Deaves at April 21, 2017 11:18 AM MDT
      April 21, 2017 8:49 AM MDT

Thank you for a very thoughtful, comprehensive and informative reply Deaves. My son lives in Honolulu so I am more than a little interested in what North Korea does nuclear-wise. I live inland from the Pacific Ocean about 70 miles so maybe we're safe living in the Inland Empire! Here's the thing. The roly poly North Korea head of state seems like a loose cannon to me. I don't know if he is as loose cannony as Trump but what if emotion takes over and he starts wanting to show off? I mean I assume they do have dangerous stuff at their disposal and launching any of it in any direction could be lethal. I also realize that all this guy does is threaten and chain rattle ..well, except for the few tests. I guess   we'll find out soon enough.  :)
      April 21, 2017 11:23 AM MDT

Hi Rosie. It will not be long till NK has long range rockets. The question is, do we wait till he launches or stop him from launching?
    If he launches many will die if we cannot intercept the rocket in flight which will be to late for possibly millions of people.

The next problem is if one of his test goes off course and lands on someone. NK is getting to dangerous to ignore any longer.
    China must be pushed to disarm this nut job and maybe just maybe help the people enslaved by this government.
      April 21, 2017 11:55 AM MDT

I just heard a few minutes ago on TV that North Korea is capable of doing missile tests with very little warning. That doesn't sound good to me. It sounds as if the "government" is tracking things very carefully there now. I don't know if we should pre-empt now. I mean if we wait and react that isn't pre-emptive. AARRGGHH.  If you could call the shots what would YOU do Deaves? Wait or act?
      April 21, 2017 12:18 PM MDT

My first act would to be with China. Tell China if they do not get rid of NK's nuke we would place an embargo on Chinese goods coming into America. China would never take military action against the US. They have to much to lose domestically.

If China did not get on board then hacking NK's control system would be the first step. Then destroy their ability to produce and launch nukes would be the last resort. A military strike would harm/kill NK's that have no choice but to server their masters.
    In the end, all said and done. I would be pre-emptive to protect our citizens and allies.
      April 21, 2017 12:26 PM MDT

Hello Rosie:

If you KNOW that the government will STEAL everything you've got under the guise of civil forfeiture, would it be justifiable to STEAL as much as you can from them FIRST?

goody
      April 17, 2017 11:00 AM MDT

I KNOW that the potential for eminent domain is there. I'm small potatoes however. We rent so any seizing would be on the back of our landlord. Now if I were WEALTHY and had lotsa seizeworthy stuff I'd probably be a darling sweetie pie to the government. Wealth carries a big stick. I'd be safe as he** from them goody. The gubment would protect me and pass laws to service me and suck up to me. I'd be safe from harm . So no. No need to attack the gubment since it wouldn't DARE screw around with someone like me!  I think. I cannot ever know that since I will never be that. Thank you for your question and Happy Monday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 17, 2017 11:14 AM MDT
      April 17, 2017 11:13 AM MDT

I tried it once. The Law was not amused. The cop being a pal of mine didn't help. 
      April 17, 2017 12:24 PM MDT

Seriously Malizz? I don't s'pose you'd care to share the details? That was brave. You're still here. It couldn't have ended that badly! Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      April 17, 2017 12:29 PM MDT