Active Now

Malizz
Thebigd
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » If you saw a man harassing a woman, what would you do?

If you saw a man harassing a woman, what would you do?

If it wasn't yet physical, but seemed like it might escalate ...?

Posted - April 17, 2017

Responses

• If it's couple's squabbles and bickering I mind my own usually.
    If it's a woman who is being obviously distressed by a guy who isn't leaving her alone I most often say something or find a way to distract the situation.
      April 17, 2017 9:17 PM MDT

Call the cops, give a description. 
      April 17, 2017 9:26 PM MDT

Seriously?
      April 18, 2017 9:25 AM MDT

Probably, but it depends on what I see and hear, tbh. The only real way of knowing how I'd react is if I were there in that situation. 
      April 18, 2017 7:48 PM MDT

• Pretend to be the woman's friend to give her an excuse to leave
      April 17, 2017 9:57 PM MDT

Great idea , D... thank you  for your reply :)
      April 17, 2017 10:44 PM MDT

• It happened one night.

Mrs Didge and I had arrived on the late train and as we walked home I saw as guy trying to force a woman into a car. She was screaming. It was one of those situations you couldn't walk away from and I advanced across the road, finger pointing, shouting, "Hey, you!" It was pretty stupid; I'm no fighter.

In the confusion she broke away, leapt into another car, and sped off. That's when he decided to pay me some attention. I could have outrun him easily enough but I wasn't alone and, just as I was wondering how the heck I was going to handle him another car pulled up. One of my neighbours who had arrived on the same train had seen the whole thing as he walked to his car. "Do you want a lift?" he asked. Did I ever! 

It was stupid but I wouldn't have wanted to learn that the woman had been bashed, raped, or worse.
      April 17, 2017 11:00 PM MDT

Wow, that was SO wonderful that you had the conviction to know, this isn't right, and something might happen to this woman.. thank you for doing something so courageous.. I bet she was so grateful Didge.
      April 19, 2017 9:48 AM MDT

• It was pretty stupid. I don't think it was brave as much as a reflex. It just happened. I wasn't feeling very brave. :(
      April 19, 2017 3:07 PM MDT

Yes but some might freeze and even though they know they should or want to intervene, might not, and b/c you did WAS brave.... :)
      April 19, 2017 7:13 PM MDT

I watch, mostly. If it's a typical domestic squabble, I let it be. If it looks like it will be physical or one person isn't getting the message they need to leave, I call the police. If nothing is happening, no harm comes of my call. If things go south, at least help is already on the way.
      April 18, 2017 1:23 AM MDT

• Probably nothing, because I'm too chicken sh*t to get involved. I'd be worried about mischaracterizing the situation, incorrectly assuming it was harassment when it wasn't, or putting a target on my back. 
      April 18, 2017 9:39 AM MDT

depends on whats going on, if i felt they needed help i would call the police
      April 18, 2017 3:57 PM MDT

Probably get in a fight...

That is one reason I have to stay away from certain parts of the world, where it is perfectly normal for women to be beaten, even in public by husbands or police, even people who want to speak out are afraid to.

Unfortunately, as hard as it is for some people to grasp, it happens in parts of this country too, not so much in front of a large crowd but a woman is beaten and the local officials ignore it, as they were paid to do.
      April 19, 2017 7:22 PM MDT
  • Huw

.It's a situation I HAVE experienced. I'd do what I have done -ask the woman if I could help. Pretty much always that ends the situation -the man may bluster a bit, but she usually says "Thank you" and exits the conflict.

I've been a teacher most of m life. This is a not unusual situation to arise in classrooms. This post was edited by Huw at April 19, 2017 9:49 PM MDT
      April 19, 2017 9:46 PM MDT