Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » Have you eaten anything from your garden yet?

Have you eaten anything from your garden yet?

Yesterday I picked a leaf or 2 off all my lettuce plants and came up with a couple of small salads - I also added a few fiddle heads from the Sword ferns to the lettuce salad. Cheers!

Posted - April 18, 2017

Responses

• I have picked lemons and used them in cooking. Other than that, the blackberry bush has yet to give us any fruit. 
      April 18, 2017 10:01 AM MDT

• Wild blackberries are a blessing and a curse. I have a love/hate relationship with them.   lol
      April 18, 2017 10:07 AM MDT

• Not yet.  I got some young plants growing in my greenhouse.  

If you define garden very "loosely"..I've recently harvested some Chaga mushrooms :) and I tapped some maple trees. We didn't do well this year but it was from lack of trying.

We managed to make 2 gallons of  syrup and about a keg of same maple beer which is still fermenting. 

April 18, 2017 10:03 AM MDT

I'm kind of jealous - the maple trees we have around here don't produce a syrup that you can eat. Cheers!
      April 18, 2017 10:19 AM MDT

• Don't know where you are...what kind of maple trees do you have??? 
    Only 3 types of Maple trees are good for sugaring;  Sugar, Black, and Red Maples
      April 18, 2017 10:32 AM MDT

I have to confess... I am a super mad keen gardener... a plantaholic... but I don't grow veg.. only flowers and ornamental plants.. 
      April 18, 2017 12:50 PM MDT

• To early for anything in the garden.   Gathered a few fiddleheads, morels, and starting to find ramps.
      April 18, 2017 1:08 PM MDT

• Ahhh....someone else on the planet that knows what ramps are!
      April 18, 2017 4:50 PM MDT

• Fried up in a little butter and black pepper...  DELICIOUS!!!
      April 18, 2017 5:04 PM MDT

• I have never eaten them, but I'm sure I'd like them. Seeing them for sale on the side of the road.
      April 18, 2017 5:17 PM MDT

We can't plant here for two more weeks. How do you get early gardens in Canada?
      April 18, 2017 1:33 PM MDT

no, i dont have a garden since i live in an apartment building
      April 18, 2017 1:56 PM MDT

• We grow most of our own vegetables. The most interesting at present is our tamarillo tree which is LOADED. Delicious!

April 18, 2017 2:05 PM MDT

Just looked it up on Wikipedia.  Two questions---are the different colors different varieties; and how do you eat them?
      April 18, 2017 4:09 PM MDT

• Our tree produces the colours you see in the pic above. They're also called tree tomatoes but we eat them as a dessert. They can be slightly tart but are delicious when mixed in a fruit salad, or served with a little ice cream or jelly. No, that's not jam: I'm not sure what you call jelly in the US ... jello, maybe?
      April 18, 2017 4:38 PM MDT

Jelly to me: juice (like grape juice) plus pectin.  No pieces of fruit in any form.  Just like "jello" in looks and consistency.
      April 18, 2017 6:13 PM MDT

• I love fresh vegetables from the garden. It's still early to plant here, hoping to have somewhere to plant a garden this year! 
      April 18, 2017 4:53 PM MDT

I've eaten kale and plenty of citrus fruit from my gardens. I've even made a scrumptious grapefruit cake with fresh grapefruit from my own trees and I made the frosting with the left over juice. I'm still waiting for the plums and eggplants though. I can't wait to try those guys.
      April 18, 2017 7:20 PM MDT