Active Now

Element 99
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What Is A Rainbow In Magical Thinking?

What Is A Rainbow In Magical Thinking?

I looked out the other day and there was a rainbow...and it was double, even!

Yes I already know about the "meteorological phenomenon that is caused by reflection, refraction and dispersion of light in water droplets," (yawn) but I want to know what a rainbow REALLY is...and that requires magical thinking, of course!
So please, what is a rainbow in magical thinking?

Here is my cousin's story: Her house was in the middle of Washington State's worst wildfires 2015 ever recorded - and as her son was coming up the hill to help them evacuate, he saw a beautiful rainbow over their house. He said, "Mom, your house is going to be okay!"
And sure enough, the fire burned all around Tonasket but never came closer than 1/8 mile from their house.
Magical thinking!

Posted - April 18, 2017

Responses

• From a magical point of view? Apart from the pot of gold at the end they're also said to be lucky. Make a wish on the rainbow and it'll come true. 

I've posted this before but here's a different kind of rainbow. My son took a photograph of his own shadow on a cloud, surrounded by a rainbow. The white flecks are waves breaking along the seashore, viewed through the cloud.

April 18, 2017 10:52 PM MDT

Unbelievable and awestruck by it,Didge!
      April 18, 2017 11:14 PM MDT

• Dozy yes it is so magical...when I was flying home from visiting my friend in January, I looked down and the airplane did this!
    I asked the flight attendant, but she had never seen one before and did not know...maybe nature just conspires sometimes to give us a magical look...
      April 19, 2017 5:49 AM MDT

Very special for sure. 
      April 19, 2017 6:52 AM MDT

How nice he gave you a copy of the picture. 
      April 19, 2017 7:07 AM MDT

Dear Virginia, a tribute to your wonderful question, had to do some magical thinking to write this answer;))

Energy,perseverance vitality in red
    Thoughtful in vibrant orange embed
    Optimism integrity in yellow said
    Happiness in tune with green earth bed
    Love loyalty and inspiration in blue shed
    Beauty, elegance in purple thread
    Each striking in color and purposely wed
    a semi circle magical tapestry spread;))

April 18, 2017 11:12 PM MDT

• Oh Veena, it is SO lovely...from your lovely heart of magical love!
      April 19, 2017 5:32 AM MDT

Umm thanks Virginia your question demanded nothing less than that;))
      April 19, 2017 8:47 PM MDT

• Is this, no?
      April 18, 2017 11:46 PM MDT

• "someday we'll find it , the Rainbow Connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me..."
    Oh Ozgirl, Kermit understands!
      April 19, 2017 5:31 AM MDT

• From the mouth of frogs :)
      April 19, 2017 5:50 AM MDT

• Yes...just as frogs have given us many magical princes, also, over the millennia...
      April 19, 2017 9:38 AM MDT

• I thought we'd talked about kissing frogs before .. ?
      April 19, 2017 11:28 PM MDT

• Rainbows are a reminder that our lives are not as bleak, methodical and meaningless as many of us believe.

A Rainbow is nature's blessing to us.  

Rainbows represent the exquisiteness and meaning of our lives which we so often forget.  Rainbows are infrequent; appearing suddenly and unexpectedly when we need them the most, yet they are not so rare that we lose hope of ever seeing one again.
      April 19, 2017 12:02 AM MDT

• Dear Judas Goat, your beautiful answer is VERY beautiful, right on Brother JG This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 19, 2017 9:08 AM MDT
      April 19, 2017 5:34 AM MDT

• :)

Consider me your pet enigma
      April 21, 2017 1:01 PM MDT

There is no envy, jealousy, or hatred between the different colors of the rainbow. And no fear either. Because each one exists to make the others’ love more beautiful. 

― Aberjhani
      April 19, 2017 3:01 AM MDT

• omg, who is this Aberjhani, he/she is very so wonderful heart of understanding, the colors existing to make the others' love more beautiful, ty so much beautiful Sapphic H. Sapphire...
      April 19, 2017 5:37 AM MDT

I loved this quote very much, and I found it fitting for your question. I am glad you liked it as much as did I.

Aberjhani
     is an American-born author, historian, columnist, novelist, poet, and editor. Born in 1957. wikipedia.org 

April 19, 2017 5:47 AM MDT

• Thank you I am going there now, SapphicH
      April 19, 2017 5:51 AM MDT

• I learned his name came to him in a dream...and he reads Camus...and he co-authored an encyclopedia of the Harlem Renaissance...very glad to learn of him, SapphicH, he is clearly a wonderful magical thinker.
      April 19, 2017 6:08 AM MDT

:-)
      April 19, 2017 7:15 AM MDT

• For those of us who are Christian, a rainbow is a promise from God.
      April 19, 2017 5:40 AM MDT

• Oh Corey Goofyhawk, thank you, the splendorous promise...
      April 19, 2017 5:44 AM MDT