Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » In your opinion, who is the worst actor alive; and/or ever lived?

In your opinion, who is the worst actor alive; and/or ever lived?

Posted - April 19, 2017

Responses

• Ever lived would take some time to reflect and really dig into my over abundance of cinema viewing experience so I'm going to just answer the alive part of the question.
    I'd say it's close call between David Caruso  and Nicholas Cage.
    Tom Cruise and John Travolta deserve a Dishonorable mention for trying damn hard to win this award as well.
    That's excluding people like Will Farrel and other professional morons who make movies.  Being bad actors is kinda what they are hired to do, so we'll exclude them. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 19, 2017 6:01 PM MDT
      April 19, 2017 2:15 PM MDT

• It was our discussion about Farrell that got me to thinking about who was as bad, or worse. You're right, fools like him (how about Jim Varney) were intended as such, so in a perverse way, they hit the mark. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 19, 2017 6:01 PM MDT
      April 19, 2017 3:36 PM MDT

• I kinda gathered as much and felt it was  worth mentioning.
    I think Jim Varney is light years better than Farrell though.   Not my cup of tea since childhood, but he did his own corny thing.  Farrell, Sandler,  Farley, Seth Rogan, etc...  Those types can't even create a real character type.  It's just being dumb instead of playing dumb.  My opinion anyway.  They confuse being annoying and obnoxious with a gag or joke.
      April 19, 2017 3:49 PM MDT

• If you like Southern Gothic style thriller movies check out a movie called 100 Proof.  Varney plasy a radically different role than anything he ever did in anything else and he actually nails it  as a violent, drug addicted, incestuous, psychopath
      April 19, 2017 4:05 PM MDT

• Maybe he could evolve as an actor, like Will Smith eventually did. Smith will likely never win an oscar, but at least he grew past playing his preening self in all his roles. 
      April 19, 2017 4:16 PM MDT

• He died years ago from lung cancer.  He type-casted himself with the Ernest character.  So we will never know if he had any range.
      April 19, 2017 4:23 PM MDT

• He did indeed. Shows how much I pay attention to D list actors. 
      April 19, 2017 4:30 PM MDT

• To be fair the current stock of A-list actors isn't churning out much worth watching. 
    In my honest opinion it's the smaller name film makers that aren't often shown in theaters and films from other countries that are where the gems are found these days. Most often those have actors and actresses that aren't all that well known. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 19, 2017 6:02 PM MDT
      April 19, 2017 4:48 PM MDT

There are so many of them that it's hard to choose.  I agree with all that Glis has listed along with his reasoning.  I would like to add Brad Pitt, Zac Efron, Robert Pattinson, Sam Worthington, William Shatner, Steven Seagal, Chris Klein and, the latest flavor of the month, Tom Hiddleston, to that pile of garbage. 

As far as worse actor(s) who are no longer with us - I always thought John Barrymore was a terrible actor.  And, Robert Stack was the original Mr. Stone Face.  
      April 19, 2017 2:38 PM MDT

• I forgot about Steven Seagal.
      April 19, 2017 2:41 PM MDT

Oh, who am I kidding.  The absolute worst actor: Ben Affleck.
      April 19, 2017 2:40 PM MDT

A few honorable (or should that be dishonorable lol) mentions for possible candidates for runner up: Keanu Reeves, Ben Affleck,  and Toby Maguire.

But the winner is: Nicolas Cage.

Probably the worst A-lister of all-time. How did he even make it? Maybe it was because his uncle was the legendary film directer, Francis-Ford Coppola.
      April 19, 2017 2:56 PM MDT

• He was good in Raising Arizona but that was it.
      April 19, 2017 2:58 PM MDT

I haven't seen that one. Gone in 60 was the most over-hyped thing ever, The Rock was ok, and Next was enjoyable, but not because of him, but because it was a unique movie in itself. 
      April 19, 2017 3:03 PM MDT

IMHO he had three roles right in a row that he was good in and then he just checked out.  Raising Arizona, Peggy Sue Got Married, and Moonstruck were all good movies and he did a good job in them.
      April 19, 2017 3:41 PM MDT

• Peggy Sue was a  decent movie too.   I guess he some redeeming mehtods  when still young and wasn't full of himself.   He wasn't all robotic and seemingly soulless.  He turned to chit around Leaving Las Vegas.  He almost makes me believe Invasion of the Body Snatchers might have been attempted by real aliens.
      April 19, 2017 3:55 PM MDT

LOL!

April 19, 2017 4:04 PM MDT

• Good selections, all.
    Not counting the movie clowns who aren't really actors, I would submit Shia Labeouf.  No less than Harrison Ford called him "a dumb*ss".
    Honorable mention: Kate Hudson, who gets sporadic movie roles because of her parentage, not any semblance of acting skill. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 19, 2017 6:03 PM MDT
      April 19, 2017 4:11 PM MDT

• Oh the ladies are being ignored. Good point Z.

Rene Zelweiger. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 19, 2017 5:46 PM MDT
      April 19, 2017 4:17 PM MDT

• I always wondered how she got movie roles. 
      April 19, 2017 4:31 PM MDT

The ladies didn't miss my attention.  I just thought they weren't allowed on this particular chopping block.  It's another toss up for me.  Paris Hilton, Tori Spelling, Pam Anderson, Kristen Stewart, Madonna,....gee, I could be here all night.
      April 19, 2017 5:53 PM MDT

• CHUCK NORRIS! I'd rather watch paint dry.

I have to agree with Kristen Stewart, and I will add Shannon Doherty to the mix. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 19, 2017 9:26 PM MDT
      April 19, 2017 6:04 PM MDT

Haha!  I was just thinking of David Hasselhoff but I think you might have us all beat Angela!
      April 19, 2017 6:06 PM MDT

• Oh the Hoff is pretty bad too, but I'd rather watch him than Norris!
      April 19, 2017 6:10 PM MDT