Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Music » Nostalgia Time take nine?

Nostalgia Time take nine?

Answer Mug appears to be dying ... I just logged back in.. in 7 hours, 23 questions, 6 members ... Something is wrong folks ... The regulars aren't anymore ... I think this is appropriate.

Posted - April 19, 2017

Responses

• Thanks Harry - very lucid ... my takeaway from this is maybe the censoring should be done by the members as they are the only ones that know the full context of an exchange?
    there is a Report flag for each response ... how often is it used? ... my thoughts are that if censoring takes place more often than reports do, then taking things in context has been replaced by personal dislike ... and that's not a good look.
      April 19, 2017 6:59 PM MDT

I agree with you 100% Ozgirl.  The Report flag is there for a reason.  Member driven post censoring makes a great deal of sense.  Just as an example: if three or more members have reported a post, then it should be deleted, with the mods telling the poster that the community has deemed the post offensive.  The only exceptions should be for anything that might be deemed illegal or dangerous.  It would avoid any conflicts between the mods and members and, it should keep people from feeling frustrated and leaving the site.  
      April 20, 2017 3:49 PM MDT

I still think flagged posts should be reviewed by moderators. It was automated at EP and hell was lose. People hating each other started to make private gangs to flag each other, operating secret lists. There should be no such thing as a fixed number of flags. IMO.
      April 20, 2017 3:59 PM MDT

That makes sense.  It didn't occur to me that people would act like mean spirited children.  We seem to have a good group of people and it's hard for me to imagine anyone here doing that but, it's a good idea to keep something like that from occurring.
      April 20, 2017 4:03 PM MDT

It was around that time where EP made the automated flagging, it went down. Less than three years later it was the end. It was a great place once. 
      April 20, 2017 4:08 PM MDT

I've only been involved with one Q&A site before this one and I left it years ago.  The amount of bickering going on was more than I could stand.  I understand what you are saying.  We don't want to do something that might have an adverse effect on the site.
      April 20, 2017 4:17 PM MDT

I think the mods do review the flagged posts.
    I flagged someone who was stalking me and JA wanted more proof about him. So I shared links with her and she took care of it.
      April 22, 2017 12:43 PM MDT

I'm comparing to the automated solution by three flags making something banned. We experienced how that worked out on EP. Here any flag will be looked into, to my experience.
      April 22, 2017 2:22 PM MDT

I will tell you something  I don't like.
    When I see that someone has responded to me, it won't go to that post and I have to go thru every page to find you.
      April 22, 2017 2:35 PM MDT

True. Is annoying. I have to do the same. ;-)
      April 22, 2017 3:00 PM MDT

I just read SH's post and saw the sense in what she stated.  WW, it just doesn't even enter my head that people would be so mean spirited.  Of course, after reading yours & SH's post, I agree with you both.  I was just trying to come up with an idea to avoid some of the unilateral decisions being made as to whether a post is appropriate or not.  On that one post that I was referring to in my OP here, I feel I should have been given the opportunity to edit it and put in the smiley face since that would have solved the problem rather than have it permanently deleted.

P.S.  Please don't yell at me.  I am very a very sensitive puppy. :-P
      April 20, 2017 4:12 PM MDT

Eh.  Unfortunately, I do that no matter what.
      April 20, 2017 4:22 PM MDT

A lot lays in the attitude of a moderation, and consistency will be the other half. I am aware your suggestion was meant positive, and knowing you I am not surprised you didn't imagined how people can be so mean spirited. I had same opinion until I was experiencing differently at EP.
      April 20, 2017 4:19 PM MDT

Thanks SH.  I hope to never experience that.
      April 20, 2017 4:25 PM MDT

I hope never to have to experience it again. 
      April 20, 2017 4:30 PM MDT

I know there was another site where people ran in packs and if you were not liked, you were systematically driven off.  A good moderator should be able to make a call whether it's one complaint or a 100.
      April 22, 2017 12:39 PM MDT

I agree with Didge. The anti-Trump spam issue has been raised, discussed and dismissed, so no point in re-hashing it.

I am a grown-up and I can handle quite a bit of sexual overtones without calling for censorship, but sometimes I would just like to see something else in the responses.

Also, I'm not sure that it would bother most people, but when I go to answer a question and it has turned into a long chat between two members, I skip over it, especially when the responses have veered way off track from the original question.

So, I am answering less because the questions are turning into discussions from which I feel excluded.
      April 19, 2017 5:40 PM MDT

I don't think you should feel yourself excluded because two others are having longer thread. I for once know, I always have appreciated when you looked inside my questions, and I have always responded to you as anyone else on an individual level.
      April 19, 2017 5:52 PM MDT

Yes, you do respond individually and I appreciate that, but I am talking about questions I don't answer because they appear to be private conversations.  To be fair, I sometimes engage in banter with other members inside a question and there are also times when I enjoy reading it. For example, the give and take between you and Randy D can be hilarious at times.
      April 20, 2017 8:00 AM MDT

Jane, my point is if one of my questions looks like a private convo it will be because the one replying first is a close friend I am having a banter with. And it doesn't mean I would not love other replies and other threads going on inside my question. Btw, we can gang up on Ran-Ran. You are doing really great yourself. ;-)
      April 20, 2017 8:36 AM MDT

Jane S, Sapphie, if I had my druthers, the two of you wouldn't fight over me so much; I keep telling you all that there's plenty of Randy Candy to go around.

Each of you pick a day and a time, I'll see if I can squeeze into my schedule.

~
      April 20, 2017 9:57 PM MDT

• I agree Jane. I just move on.
      April 19, 2017 5:57 PM MDT

• Agree, Jane. Sometimes the comments get so far away from the actual question that it seems pointless to add anything.
      April 19, 2017 6:08 PM MDT

It's possible to have separate threads inside the questions. Don't let such hold you back from taking part. 
      April 19, 2017 6:23 PM MDT

• Thanks Jane, I appreciate your input ... its what we need ... I do understand your thoughts on breaking in on a conversation ... but from my experience no one ever complains if I do ... often just means there are now two conversations on going.
    thanks Jane
      April 19, 2017 7:02 PM MDT