Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Why does Islam claim to be a religion of peace when it has caused so much trouble in the world?

Why does Islam claim to be a religion of peace when it has caused so much trouble in the world?

Posted - April 20, 2017

Responses

Seems being a common thing across several religions. One could start make up which is worse, but doesn't really make any difference.
      April 20, 2017 12:44 AM MDT

This is just my opinion of course... but it's based on quite a bit of dealings with muslims.... the religion itself does teach peace and tolerance... however, imo islam is a religion, which even more than most, is open to much interpretation or, as is unfortunately the case, often, misinterpretation.....

I think some of it is somewhat ambiguous....

That is not to say that there aren't others of other religions who do terrible things in the name of their religion.
      April 20, 2017 2:09 AM MDT

• It really doesn't.   Look at the Quran and it honestly doesn't preach peace and tolerance.
      April 20, 2017 11:00 AM MDT

Well the bits I saw did.... to be honest they were quoted by muslim or muslims.... and my objective feeling here is that it's a bit like the bible or most religions.... there ARE *nicer* bits that suggest tolerance, kindness, and fairness... but there are also bits that are shocking and imo lead to misinterpretation or not as the case may be.. 

Do bear in mind I am not a fan of Islam.. and my reasoning for that is that it seems to the the one that is, arguably, most misinterpreted and this leads to not only terrorism but actively works against women, and for that reason I am not a fan.
      April 20, 2017 1:08 PM MDT

I believe you are right about it actively working against women, and for that reason I am not a fan either. How would it treat guys like me, who long to live in a female-dominated society?
      April 23, 2017 3:10 PM MDT

"it [the HQ] honestly doesn't preach peace and tolerance" - Not even, for example, in HQ 8:61? It preaches "But if they [your attackers] incline to peace, incline thou to it as well, and [even if you suspect their motives] place thy trust in God: verily, He alone is all-hearing, all-knowing!"
      April 22, 2017 9:02 PM MDT

Don't a lot of religions claim to be about love?
    I suppose there will always be maniacs that go way overboard with their religion and try to force it on everyone else. Some just seem to think violence is okay as long as they're on the "good" side.
      April 20, 2017 2:16 AM MDT

• As Sapphic mentioned, every faith has its issues with interpretation. With Islam, even within the scope of the one faith, there are competing denominations, Sunni, Shia and Wahabbi, each of whom "know" the others are wrong. Yet there are far more peaceful Muslims than there are jihadist Muslims, but who gets the press? There will always be those who twist dogma to their own ends. 

Take Christianity (please). Though most Christians claim to "follow the Bible" how many do you see stoning non-virgin brides to death on their father's doorstep as decreed in the OT? How many wear mixed fabrics, which is forbidden? Christianity is responsible for the Inquisition, the Crusades, witch hunts, etc. Countless murders over many centuries.

While we can easily point to dogma as the source of violence and hate, and we'd generally be right, but holy books and metaphors from "prophets" have no teeth unless someone acts on them.

To my mind there is only one truly totally peaceful religion, Jainism, which few are even aware of, and even fewer practice. I guess they don't get enough press. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 20, 2017 11:05 AM MDT
      April 20, 2017 4:41 AM MDT

• Wahabbi is  Sunni.
    There are 7 main sects that exist today   Sunni, Shia,  Sufi,  Ahmadiyya, Kahwariji(ibadi), and Mahdavia
    Shia and Sunni are by far the two  largest sects.
    The main conflict is between Sunni and Shia but under those two umbrellas there are  various denominations that have common minor conflicts with each other.

I rambled but the point is Wahabbi isn't separate from Sunni but are  Sunni's and isn't really a denomination but movement and concept that exists in various Sunni denominations.
      April 20, 2017 11:17 AM MDT

• Right. I used them as a random example of the various types of subdivisions within that single faith. Point being the varying interpretations derived from the same source. 
      April 20, 2017 11:59 AM MDT

Apparently Jains, like most other religions, will fight for their Country, but I don't know any around here.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=jains+fight+for+their+country&oq=jains+fight+for+their+country&aqs=chrome..69i57.11072j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyvQNf5wpx8 This post was edited by texasescimo at April 24, 2017 9:41 AM MDT
      April 24, 2017 9:36 AM MDT

The fact is the Koran supports violence against non Muslims, especially Jews. That is not peace. Yes most Muslims are peaceful but if the become more devout they will become violent or believe they are too financially support those doing the violence. Because this what their Holy book demands.
      April 20, 2017 4:50 AM MDT

Claims in your answer, like "the Koran supports violence against non Muslims, especially Jews" and "this what their Holy book demands" - should have been supported with a quote from the HQ, 
      April 22, 2017 10:23 PM MDT

I don't have the specific verses anymore​. I had them a while back and posted them for a user on AB before it shut down but didn't think to store them on my cpu. And have not taken the time to look them all up again. Bit I do know they are there, I read them myself.
      April 23, 2017 1:39 PM MDT

might have been better to look them up again. It could have changed your impression of them 
      April 23, 2017 4:34 PM MDT

Maybe but I doubt it. I remember saying that was more hate than I ever wanted to expose my mind to again. Because I did not just Google some verses and take it at face value. I read them in context and found it very hateful. 
      April 23, 2017 6:39 PM MDT

my curiosity is aroused even further and my knowledge of the HQ tells me that either you came across a very awful translation or time has affected your memory of the translation. Without checking out the actual verses it's not possible to say whether it is one or the other.
      April 24, 2017 3:06 PM MDT

Some might see Surah 9:29 as an order to fight against Jews and Christians at least until they convert to Islam and pay a special tax and are humbled as well depending on translation?

http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=9&verse=29

Muhammad Sarwar: Fight against those People of the Book who have no faith in God or the Day of Judgment, who do not consider unlawful what God and His Messenger have made unlawful, and who do not believe in the true religion, until they humbly pay tax with their own hands.

Mohsin Khan: Fight against those who (1) believe not in Allah, (2) nor in the Last Day, (3) nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger (4) and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islam) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

Arberry: Fight those who believe not in God and the Last Day and do not forbid what God and His Messenger have forbidden -- such men as practise not the religion of truth, being of those who have been given the Book -- until they pay the tribute out of hand and have been humbled.

https://quran.com/9/27-33
      April 24, 2017 3:27 PM MDT

TY Tex

My subject of discussion with M2C was not about your claim that "Some might see Surah 9:29 as an order to fight against Jews and Christians..."

but it was about M2C's assertions that "The fact is the Koran supports violence against non Muslims, especially Jews" and "if the [Muslims] become more devout they will become violent or believe they are too [sic] financially support those doing the violence. Because this what their Holy book demands"

I wanted to know M2C's basis for those assertions but M2C's response is "I don't have the specific verses anymore​..... And have not taken the time to look them all up again." Unfortunately M2C's answer has not been amended to reflect the honesty of those two admissions.
      April 28, 2017 7:49 PM MDT

If nearly 1/4 of the world population were causing trouble...you might have a legitimate question.  But they are not.  Only a tiny fraction of the 1.7 billion Muslims are "causing trouble".  
      April 20, 2017 7:38 AM MDT

• I bet Matt was thinking that same question when he was beaten and left to die on a fence in Wyoming

Don't talk to me about Islam while the other gutter religion (Christianity) gets a free pass

April 20, 2017 7:51 AM MDT

Of course, religions are peaceful except when infidels or heretics disagree with them.  
      April 20, 2017 7:59 AM MDT

• Which of course sends the self-righteous religious zealots into a murderous frenzy. Gotta clean up that thought crime... This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 20, 2017 9:31 AM MDT
      April 20, 2017 8:21 AM MDT

•   April 20, 2017 9:00 AM MDT