Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Brexit is about populism, right? Are pro-Brexits also pro-Trumps and pro-Le Pens? Are they also all anti-globalism? Why?

Brexit is about populism, right? Are pro-Brexits also pro-Trumps and pro-Le Pens? Are they also all anti-globalism? Why?

Posted - April 21, 2017

Responses

I don't think most here who voted to leave the EU are pro-Trump or Le Pen. It would be a bit hypocritical, as one of their key arguments was that the EU was telling Britain what to do. Given that, they can hardly tell other countries who to elect! There is a woman called Katie Hopkins, who broadcasts on talk radio station LBC (Leading Britain's Conversation), who was in favour of Brexit, and supports Trump. She was a business woman, appeared on our version of The Apprentice, and writes a column for one of the papers, in addition to her radio work. Most people in this country think Trump is a complete pr*ck. Britain is more liberal-minded than America overall, so Trump worries most of us.
      April 21, 2017 9:27 AM MDT

Only those who voted for him don't worry about him. The rest of us are terrified 24/7. Each day I awaken to wonder if today is the day nuclear war began because of him. He is a gawdawful evil buffoon who has power to destroy us all. If that doesn't scare ya nothing will. SIGH. Thank you for your reply HarryD and Happy Friday to thee. :)
      April 21, 2017 10:49 AM MDT

Right.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Countries need to remain sovereign and true to themselves and put the needs of themselves before the needs of other nations.  One-world anything is dangerous and worth fighting AGAINST.
      April 21, 2017 10:33 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Thriftymaid.
      April 21, 2017 10:50 AM MDT

People who voted for Brexit want to maintain their nationality.  They want the needs of the people born in there country to come first. They want to keep their identity instead of being assimlated into a one world order, which amounts to communist totalitarianism.  Integration is not happening in the UK, all that is happening is groups of certain cultures are banding together and taking over whole areas, and when nationals complain about this they are called racist for wanted their country to be what their forefathers fought for. You wouldn't get this outside of Europe.  We were once leaders of the industrial revolution,  Britain doesn't make anything anymore, all our British owned companies are being sold off to other countries, and yet our workers still manufacturer the goods. What this means is countries like China, France, India, Germany are profitting from our hard labour the latest victim is Southern rail.  All our government funded (which means public funded) organisations are being bought by the private sector,  parents have no say in how their childrens schools run, the NHS is being sold off by piecemeal. All our fisheries were closed down by EU. Our farmers were paid off not to work there land to stop competition.

We were being run by Brussels another country, faceless people making major decisions about our country, thats means our sovereignty was given away and we were paying mass amounts of money to them. We were paying out silly money for not having bent vegetables,  some of the EU rules were ridiculous.  Then there was the TIP deal that the EU was going to do with America, I don't want to eat GMO food, at present all GMO must be labelled. Many of the EU countries have gone bankrupt and we've had to bail them out. The list goes on.
    As for Trump I was shocked he got in, truly shocked I thought Hilary was a sure thing. However, neither candidate had a glowing history. I don't know what to think about Trump, at first I thought it laughable and that history does show anyone can become president in the USA. He appears to be a lose cannon, but I believe it's the people behind the president that run things anyway. I watched a programme on Trump, when his father worked in this country he didn't find it hard to get contracts. Perhaps Trumps father is a freemason and so is he, after all many of your presidents have been freemasons or skull and bones members. This post was edited by Pepper Pot at April 30, 2017 8:30 AM MDT
      April 21, 2017 1:00 PM MDT

• Well said!
      April 23, 2017 1:16 AM MDT

You are my hero pepper :)  Thank you.. you say it perfectly... you explain it :)
      April 30, 2017 8:31 AM MDT

• People who voted for Brexit have nothing to do with Trump.

Think for a moment that all the central American countries formed a union and the US had more than half of their laws made by this union, that America had to pay approx. $75million per day just to belong to this union, that if the US wanted to deport someone the person could appeal to the union and the US could be over ruled, that this union would even get involved in the shape of the fruit, the power of vacuum cleaners.  Do you think Americans would stand for that sort of dictatorship?  All Britain wants is the right to govern our own country, to make our own laws not to be governed by unelected officials in the EU Parliament who most likely have never set foot in Britain.
      April 23, 2017 1:24 AM MDT

Exactly - Brexit was entirely different from Trump... some shared issues perhaps but many different reasons, such as the desire to rule ourselves rather than have some bureaucrats from another country tell us what to do as you correctly pointed out.. I know You and I often seem to disagree.  However, I DO think that in general terms we are singing from the same hymn sheet. And we are both Brits... so I am actually quite fond of you even if you do not share that sentiment This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at April 30, 2017 10:34 AM MDT
      April 30, 2017 8:35 AM MDT

Obama stated that if Britain left the EU, we would go to the back of the queue for trade deals with the US, and exactly one year to the day after he said that, Trump's team announced that Britain IS at the back of the queue.
      April 24, 2017 7:36 AM MDT

Yep... seems so... To be honest I had people on here, indicating WE should love Trump cos he made us those promises.. I said then, yea and you think he will follow through? Seems I was right.. who'd have guessed... lol maybe I am a genius or just maybe... we Brits had worked out a long time ago that Trump is a liar and we can't trust him...  I am always mindful here in talks about trade deals.. the UK has always imported way, way more than we export to the US.. so to be honest, It really doesn't matter that much to us whether US wants or doesn't want a trade deal with us :P  Sure we wouldn't say no... but it ain't like we are depending on it :P
      April 30, 2017 8:38 AM MDT

Apparently, Trump asked Angela Merkel seven times about doing a US trade deal with Germany, and she told him he couldn't, it would have to be with the EU as a block. He finally got the message. He just doesn't know what he is doing.
      May 3, 2017 8:50 AM MDT

May 1, 2017 3:44 PM MDT

Thanks, Pepper! Some interesting stuff to bear in mind here!
      May 3, 2017 8:51 AM MDT

You're welcome, I did go to the Brexit meetings, all main parties were divided over Brexit, there were Conservaties, Labour, Liberal Democrats, and the Green Party at the "for" Brexit meetings.
      May 4, 2017 4:04 PM MDT