Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Education » Some folks have contempt for those who are "educated". Why would they want their kids to be educated? Why is being educated so awful?

Some folks have contempt for those who are "educated". Why would they want their kids to be educated? Why is being educated so awful?

Posted - April 22, 2017

Responses

• Image result for This is spam MEME
      April 22, 2017 2:45 AM MDT

Those people LIKE working at fast food joints and bagging groceries.
      April 22, 2017 7:59 AM MDT

I dunno Ele. Usta be in the good old olden days when I was a kid my parents thought education was wonderful! They wanted that for me and my sister. But today I wonder what happened and why? I can't imagine any parent not wanting his/her child to do better, know more, achieve things they never could. Putting down education and educators and educated people puzzles me. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      May 6, 2017 4:37 AM MDT

Just jealous - the attackers either genuinely could not learn anything to any real standard, or had no interest in learning; but now resent the fact so blame everyone and anyone but themselves.

[Edited to correct spelling mistake.] This post was edited by Durdle at May 6, 2017 4:37 AM MDT
      May 5, 2017 2:04 PM MDT

Here's the thing that really puzzles me Durdle. Those who have kids especially ought to REVERE being educated! They ought to be thrilled and proud and support their children being more educated than they were. They ought to applaud teachers and teaching and those who aspire to be more and learn more and do more than their parents could. I don't understand them at all. Now bragging about one's education/intelligence is equally reprehensible to me. Being educated doesn't mean you are "better than" or "smarter than". It does mean you are more knowledgeable and have a better chance at having a better job. You're luckier. What parent doesn't want that kind of life for his/her child? Talking education down and dumbing down and ridiculing education makes no sense to me at all. Do you think the pendulum will return to "normal" and education/teachers will be held in high esteem once again as they used to be? Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Saturday to thee! :)
      May 6, 2017 4:43 AM MDT

To be honest Rosie, you have puzzled me. I've hardly ever heard of anyone not wanting their children to be educated as well as possible, except in areas so deprived the parents are too despairing to see any point. 

I worry more about successive governments forever tinkering with public services like education: foisting new exam standards or statistics demands on schools, inventing initiatives that seem grand on paper but have not really been thought through, etc.

Is your question based on a particular set of circumstances or events.?

May 6, 2017 2:50 PM MDT