Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Anyone ever donate bone marrow and whats involved?

Anyone ever donate bone marrow and whats involved?

my college was doing a bone marrow drive next tuesday and i was thinking of going, i dont usually have class on tuesdays but i thought of making an extra trip. i heard you have to be under 60 which i am, what are other rules about it that can stop you from doing it. I dont have hips but i heard if you have implants they can take the bone marrow from somewhere else.  i also heard they fly you out if you have to go elsewhere. do you ever get to meet the people you donate to? I was kind of curious if Id be a match for someone so i wanted to go. what if you all of a sudden get a job , would you let you take the time off to do it? and how long does it take to get a call like that? do you think they'll call me if i register for it? Im out of work right now anyways so its not like i have anything better to do with my time and im not afraid of needles, do you think they'll call me if i register? and what can stop someone from registering? im pretty healthy so hopefully nothing

Posted - April 22, 2017

Responses

Pearl, call them and ask about the requirements for the drive.  With some of your questions, first they have to see if you are a match.  If you aren't, most of your questions won't need answers.  If you are, they will answer all your questions, tell you everything you need to know, so that you can make an informed decision as to whether or not you want to be a donor.

This post was edited by Harry at April 22, 2017 3:42 PM MDT
      April 22, 2017 2:52 PM MDT

They don't take the bone marrow when you sign up.  They take a blood sample only.  If they find you're a match for someone, they will contact you.  I have been a marrow donor for more than 20 years, but have not been a match for anyone and haven't been called.  At this point, I'm too old.
      April 22, 2017 5:28 PM MDT