Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is any mass produced item ever perfect?

Is any mass produced item ever perfect?

Huh?

Posted - April 22, 2017

Responses

Loads and loads and loads and loads... for instance my phone is perfect... my computer is perfect... my car is pretty perfect... candles are perfect.... too many things to list
      April 22, 2017 3:06 PM MDT

• Rarely.   To mass produce something while keeping it affordable certain tolerances need to be loosened and certain materials need to be chosen for manufacturing practicality over durability.  Fit and finish needs to be balanced with man hours.  Yadda, yadda, yadda.   All that is enough alone to mean perfection has to be sacrificed to some extent due to the laws of diminishing returns.   Then factor in the fact that most consumer grade products are made with planned obsolescence or planned calculated failure.   The answer is a resounding NO.
      April 22, 2017 3:06 PM MDT

In manufacturing, there is a concept called "lot tolerance percent defective"---it's a way of defining perfection.  How much deviance (imperfection) can be tolerated before your product is no longer fit for its intended use.  The more "perfect" it needs to be, the more it will cost to make it so.

So to some extent, it depends on what your "product" is. 

April 22, 2017 3:19 PM MDT

those who are able to produce nice items to sell, are really talented people......

its them who make money.... for example, those producing the iphones.... and selling them almost 1k $ each ( the new ones )
      April 22, 2017 3:25 PM MDT

• Yessssssss. The thimble is maas produced and it's the shizat. I don't know what they are for and why that's where my mind went. I'm not allowed to play monopoly anymore though. That's fine. 

April 22, 2017 3:47 PM MDT

• Yeah,  few women know how to sew any more.
      April 22, 2017 4:14 PM MDT

• i was thinking about monopoly when answered this :) I could sew wash clothes into purses when I was a kid.... I'm pretty sure I'd be an awesome 50's house wife :) yeah nah ;p Id be high as'

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TCD3Wa5RvjE

April 22, 2017 4:22 PM MDT

• That's my favorite Rolling Stones track.

That may be but they gave out plenty of Benzadrine to housewives to counteract the Vallium.   Lucky Grandma.
      April 22, 2017 4:28 PM MDT

• It's only stones song I like :) I love the way woman got to dress in 50's and after watching madmen I'm sure I was born in wrong era... I wanna be drunk , high , and get to wear dresses all day and not have to go to work... I d hate that most likely if true ...but ... Sounds better than work on Monday right now :) so I'm going with that 
      April 22, 2017 4:36 PM MDT

• Who says you can't  wear a dress all day? You can still be high and drunk most of the day.

I wish I could still just drive some stakes in the ground and start farming and pull my double barrel on anyone trying to come 'round here but don't belong.  

April 22, 2017 4:42 PM MDT

(mass-produced)

Yes: grammar textbooks.
    ~

April 22, 2017 4:07 PM MDT

• There must be a support group for people like you .... I'm gonna find it for you then. ;p
      April 22, 2017 4:13 PM MDT

You shouldn't do that. His whole sense of self is dependent upon telling people when to use hyphens and apostrophes. Don't take that away from him, it is all he has in life.
      April 23, 2017 5:48 AM MDT

Don't forget the ellipses.

April 23, 2017 6:16 AM MDT

April 23, 2017 3:53 PM MDT

basically no
    because it will break or wear out. haha
    ...But there is a reason for that,
    and the person looking for
    something Perfect can find it.
      April 22, 2017 4:35 PM MDT

We would like to think the prototype from which all others are derived is closest to perfection, but that flies in the face of advancement beyond. This does not work well in the mortal fallible model of events but when infallible God made Adam he was the prototype for all others to come. Any tampering would be a degradation from the divine making and thus inferior. This post was edited by O-uknow at April 22, 2017 9:22 PM MDT
      April 22, 2017 9:18 PM MDT

some might be
      April 23, 2017 5:34 PM MDT