Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Family » A question about your given name:

A question about your given name:

Has it ever been discussed between you and your parents (or parent) how your given name was chosen?

If so, what did you find out? ~

Posted - April 22, 2017

Responses

No, I am not sure "gow" my name was decided nor how it was decided. 

Randy D, are you feeling well?
      April 22, 2017 6:05 PM MDT

What do you mean?

:|
      April 22, 2017 6:07 PM MDT

Ah.  I see you caught and corrected it.  
      April 22, 2017 6:08 PM MDT

(how)

*snicker*

I spoke to my father about it later in life and he couldn't remember why he chose the name he did.  I guess I shouldn't have waited so long. 
      April 22, 2017 6:07 PM MDT

• My given name was from a movie my mother liked when she was a kid.... My parents were teenagers when they had me so this makes sense to me and they did the best they could :) my given name may be "Jaimie" or may mean j'aime .... hmmmmm. 
      April 22, 2017 6:21 PM MDT

• Yeah, I've asked my parents about it before. They considered a number of names. They seemed to like names that ended in "n" most of all. They also wanted to give me a relatively uncommon name. My mom admitted that she got the idea for "Nevan" from a baby-name book; before that she had never heard the name before. Once they narrowed it down to a few, Nevan was the most unusual, and my parents decided before they knew if I was going to be a boy or a girl, that that would be their potential son's name. 

April 22, 2017 6:32 PM MDT

my aunts (lets call them Patty and Selma) picked my first name.. and i absolutely hate it. my original name was suppose to be Richard (after my dad) but i ended up with Bill -_- my middle name is Colin so sometime in the future i would like to legally changed it to that. This post was edited by Skunky Stinkerson at April 22, 2017 7:11 PM MDT
      April 22, 2017 6:55 PM MDT

Better to be a Bill than a Dick.
      April 22, 2017 7:25 PM MDT

LMAO!
      April 22, 2017 7:43 PM MDT

My real name is my dad's middle name - and my grandfather's, and his father's, and his father's. I was the first to get it as my first name.
      April 22, 2017 7:00 PM MDT

My full maiden name comes from a TV show that was popular at the time of my birth. My mom wanted to give me the actress' real first name, but my dad won and I got the character's name. My family already shared the character's last name. The weird thing is, I just Googled it- I've never watched the show- and I actually share a lot in common with the character. O_o Spooky.

Everyone of a certain age who hears the name thinks they're hilariously funny when they ask if that's where my name came from. Nope, not a coincidence, and also not funny. -_- When I got married, I took a last name that matches a name on another popular TV show, so younger generations always giggle and ask if I'm related to them instead. I still have that name even though I divorced. Easier than dealing with all the paperwork that comes with a name change. Also, if I'm ever going to change it again, I want to change it to something cool, like Xena Warrior Princess or somethin'.
      April 22, 2017 9:21 PM MDT

You could change it to Princess.
      April 23, 2017 8:35 AM MDT

I know exactly what you mean about the chuckleheads who each think he or she is the most hilarious comedian ever to grace the face of the planet with a "clever" and "wholly original" quip. My last name is a homonym for and English verb, and in its noun form, it's also a type of flora. I've become adept at rolling my eyes as I respond, "Oh, yeah, that's the first time I've ever heard that before, except for the 19,999 other times. And to imagine that you thought it up all by your lonesome."
    ~
      April 23, 2017 11:16 AM MDT

my parents never said nothing, all i know is what my name is
      April 22, 2017 9:37 PM MDT

Pearl is a beautiful name!
      April 23, 2017 3:13 PM MDT

I was named after an uncle of my mother. 
      April 22, 2017 9:53 PM MDT

I'm named after my grandpa. My mother would have been named that, too. But because of her gender, she didn't qualify. 
      April 22, 2017 9:57 PM MDT

Yes.  Biblical queen.
      April 22, 2017 10:22 PM MDT

• I always hated my Christian name growing up it seemed so old fashioned.  I was named after my dead uncle's girlfriend.
      April 23, 2017 12:47 AM MDT

I was given the male version of my great, great paternal grandmother's name.
      April 23, 2017 4:53 AM MDT

We never discussed it because it was never important to me.
      April 23, 2017 8:37 AM MDT

I was the fourth daughter in a row and they didn't plan on having another girl. They had trouble agreeing on a name and my birth certificate says 'see attached rider' where the name usually goes. The rider was filled out quite a while later. My real first name was the most popular girl's name the year I was born, so I think they compromised. My older sisters all have beautiful, less common names.
      April 23, 2017 9:24 AM MDT

My dad picked my name.  He wanted something not overused but still contemporary so he picked Olivia.  I just like Livvie better.  My dad doesn't have any issues with me liking Livvie better.

My father-in-law did not pick something contemporary when naming my husband so my husband has a name that was common in a previous generation but not his own.  He hates his name.  I've never even called him by his first name because he dislikes it so much.  His dad definitely has some issues with my hubby disliking his name because he's the fourth one in line to have the name.  This causes some hard feelings between my hubby and FIL.

I've read on baby naming websites that a great way to make your kid hate their name is to give them something that was common in a previous generation but not their own and yeah, that's definitely the case with my husband.

Anyway, I have twins due on 18 November.  We haven't picked names yet but we both agree we'll follow my dad's method of something contemporary but not overused.  My FIL is probably a little steamed that he's not getting a fifth in line to have the same name but some names just kind of go out of style.
      April 23, 2017 3:10 PM MDT

• Congratulations on the expected twins!  I've heard the most ridiculous names among my children's friends.  Poet has to take the prize though, I can't imagine what this boys parents were thinking. 
      April 23, 2017 9:30 PM MDT