Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Should God have destroyed the old Earth and created a new planet Earth that would make story of creation more believable?

Should God have destroyed the old Earth and created a new planet Earth that would make story of creation more believable?

Getting rid of all the dinosaur fossils and other evidence that our planet could have been 4.5 billion years old. 

Posted - April 23, 2017

Responses

• The first thing that popped in my tiny little head was this:

What makes you think He isn't?
      April 24, 2017 4:17 PM MDT

"... He isn't..." Sorry, not sure what you mean or if you were replying to me.

I don't believe in God but accept I can no more prove He does not exist, than anyone can prove He does! If he does then the more we find and understand of the Universe, the more majestic His work becomes.

My main beef with the Creationists is not with individuals wishing from free will to believe as they do, although it saddens me to see them so limit themselves, but with the insidious attempt by "Commercial Creationists" to force their ideas on others, at worst by compelling it to be taught in schools instead of modern scientific knowledge. It's not too great a problem in the UK, although American creationist school companies have tried to muscle in on British schools in the wake of a poorly-thought policy of allowing independent "academies" under the spurious tenet of "parental choice". (Who, exactly is meant to benefit? Child or parent?) I find a few US states make teaching evolution illegal deeply ironical, because the USA keeps trying to tell all we foreigners that she is the Land of The Free and the world's arbiter of free speech and democracy, unlike those Middle Eastern theocracies!  I wonder how parents in those Creationist states get on if they encourage their children to learn the scientific rather than Genesis version - but anyway once the child becomes an adult he or she is free to learn anything, and if necessary to Hell with school or parental diktats! It worries me because I think "Commercial Creationism" not merely a shallow Science v Religion argument; but uses that in a feeble attempt to conceal something deeper and far more insidious, hence dangerous. 

April 25, 2017 2:59 PM MDT

Should God have destroyed the old Earth and created a new planet Earth that would make story of creation more believable?

==========================================================

For the two atheists in the videos below God didn’t have to do any such thing, nor resort to “Getting rid of all the dinosaur fossils and other evidence that our planet could have been 4.5 billion years old.” The HQ’s version was good enough for both to give up their atheism.

The American mathematics professor became atheist from his personal experience and observation of man’s unfettered capacity for evil.

The British graduate, coming from a family that saw Christianity merely as a means to privileges, became an ardent atheist who went around with an almost evangelical zeal challenging believers about the existence of God.

This post was edited by CLURT at February 4, 2021 5:08 AM MST
      May 4, 2017 5:47 AM MDT