Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Banning/burning books. Do you support it or detest it? Because?

Banning/burning books. Do you support it or detest it? Because?

Posted - April 24, 2017

Responses

Detest it. Because it's a poor substitute for a rational discussion .
      April 24, 2017 7:07 AM MDT

Indeed. I agree with thee Malizz. An Answermugger said that Marine LePen plans to ban The Koran. Trump bans Muslims. I guess banning is better than burning but not by much. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      April 24, 2017 7:09 AM MDT

Detest - it's what Hitler did.  
    Secrecy is the keystone to all tyranny. Not force, but secrecy and censorship. When any government or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "this you must not read, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man who has been hoodwinked in this fashion; contrariwise, no amount if force can control a free man, whose mind is free. No, not the rack, nor the atomic bomb, not anything. You can't conquer a free man; the worst you can do is kill him.
    Robert A Heinlein
      April 24, 2017 9:09 AM MDT

• It is always wrong, no matter what the book is about. If you don't like a book, don't buy it. But I do not believe in banning them ever. 
      April 24, 2017 9:41 AM MDT