Active Now

Randy D
Danilo_G
Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » If you KNOW that allowing someone to speak at your institution will incite a riot isn't that a good reason to disinvite the person? Why?

If you KNOW that allowing someone to speak at your institution will incite a riot isn't that a good reason to disinvite the person? Why?

Posted - April 24, 2017

Responses

• If colleges and universities were places where folks learned to think, listen and develop responses to ideas(even those ideas in opposition to your own positions) and formulate responses other than the destruction of property and the injuring of persons, this would not even be an issue, much less a problem. If a person's sensibilities are so fragile and delicate, then stay the Hell away and let people who understand the give and take of public forums, as well as debate, attend. Opinions that run contrary to your own will not disappear nor should anyone think that they should be protected and given special treatment because somebody disagrees. Wake up and grow up out there.
      April 24, 2017 8:48 PM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply driftwood. The solution is simple. Stay away from people you dislike. Nothing on this earth would get me to go to a Trump rally. Nothing. I don't care that he holds rallies and his worshippers attend them. No skin off my nose. Folks are drawn to what they feel comfortable  with. Trump make me feel like puking so I have no reason to go out of my way to see him in person. He is everywhere 24/7 on TV. At least I can hit the mute button at home. But some folks are ACTIVISTS. They are out and about marching and protesting about things that move them for good or ungood. I say they have the same right to protest hate speech as hate speakers have to engage in hate speech. It isn't a one-way street. If the student body on campus doesn't want someone there you are saying they don't have the right to protest it or reject it. I say they DO have the right to protest a David Duke or an Anne Coulter or a Bill O'Reilly or a Donald Trump . So I guess we disagree which is agreeable to me. Is it agreeable to thee? You think being in college means you have to pollute your brain with all the detritus that exists. I say learning to be discerning is part of the college experience. You have a right to not listen to what you consider to be bilge. Critical thinking does NOT MEAN acceptance of everything. It means just the opposite to me. It guides us into deciding what you want to be exposed to and what you want to be protected from. It least it seems so to me. I wouldn't want to be forced to read Mein Kampf either because someone thinks it's swell! It's out there and available if I want to read it. But I sure as he** don't want it forced on me because someone thinks everyone should read it. Or KKK documents. I don't want any part of any hate in any form at any time or any place for any reason. Whew. Apologies for beating that dead horse. Happy Tuesday!  :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 25, 2017 2:48 AM MDT
      April 25, 2017 2:44 AM MDT