Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Does everyone agree on the definition of SPAM? What is yours and why?

Does everyone agree on the definition of SPAM? What is yours and why?

Posted - April 24, 2017

Responses

It is obvious.

April 24, 2017 7:29 AM MDT

I should have said "not the food" Ele. I thought THAT was obvious. My mistake. Would you care to answer the question I intended it to be and not the one you made it into just for the halibut?
      April 24, 2017 7:31 AM MDT

I don't really know what it is. Help me out.
      April 24, 2017 7:39 AM MDT

Here's why I ask sweetie. Some folks label things as SPAM just to be dorks and annoy you. I have no idea why dorks are the way they are but I figure someone should be able to describe spam. You can't? I can't either. Maybe someone else can! Thank you for trying though! :)
      April 24, 2017 8:13 AM MDT

• To me? It's the equivalent of telephone sales marketers. Just online instead of on the phone. Most is a scam and phony and some is just someone trying to sell something to make some money. I don't much care for it. Not on the Net and not on the telephone. I also think that someone who posts a lot of questions or answers that are just plain dumb also qualifies as spam.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 24, 2017 8:13 AM MDT
      April 24, 2017 7:58 AM MDT

Well dorks label things as Spam just to be annoying. Problem is I have no idea what spam is. But you said someone who asks a lot of dumb questions or gives a lot of dumb answers is guilty of spam. So that means when someone shows up and says "spam" it's because he/she believes what I wrote is dumb. Why not say "boy that's so dumb?" Thank you for your reply Rooster and Happy Monday. Why anyone in his/her right mind would answer a dumb question is beyond me. I guess dumb attracts dumb people. Why else? :)
      April 24, 2017 8:16 AM MDT

• Nothing on you Rosie, I was referring more to the person who asks people to chat about trashbags! To me? That is spam.
      April 24, 2017 8:21 AM MDT

Unsolicited advertising emails. Stupid posts that attract no answers. Trolling. Mostly spam to some degree, it's like "electronic junk mail".
      April 24, 2017 8:54 AM MDT

There  are many definitions of spam. Generally it refers to something posted on-line or emailed in mass quantities without regard as to whether the majority of users receiving or viewing it it have any interest in it. When something is posted in mass quantities it can overwhelm other postings or emails and users have difficulty finding the content or emails they really want to see. Sometimes it is done for profit and sometimes it is just a poster who is oblivious or uncaring as to whether or not others are able to have a positive internet experience. It depends on the site how many repetitive, back-to-back posting would be considered spam and everyone has a different threshold.
      April 24, 2017 7:51 PM MDT