Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you ALWAYS run away from confrontation or do you ALWAYS face it and take whatever happens and handle it? Why?

Do you ALWAYS run away from confrontation or do you ALWAYS face it and take whatever happens and handle it? Why?

Posted - April 24, 2017

Responses

Far too many variables, I don't ALWAYS do either. I seek compromise where possible.
      April 24, 2017 8:46 AM MDT

Confronting is not inconsistent with compromise Sbf. Staying around to deal with it or running away from it. You don't always stick around? You sometimes run away? If you do that isn't it always there pursuing you?  Thank you for your reply! :)
      April 25, 2017 4:17 AM MDT

I agree with Slarti.

I think that more often than not, I try to avoid confrontation, especially with people I care about. If it's of great importance, I'll stand my ground. I do try to consider the consequences.
      April 24, 2017 9:24 AM MDT

Confronting simply means to stick around, face it and deal with it. It doesn't necessarily mean hostile  aggressive battling. If you don't face "it"  then "it" could hound/haunt you forever after. Why not deal with it immediately, get it resolved and then move on? That way you aren't always looking over your shoulder. Thank you for your reply SA and Happy Tuesday! :)
      April 25, 2017 4:20 AM MDT

I understand what you're saying, and definitely agree that letting your feelings be known is important. An unidentified problem cannot be solved. I think confrontation has a negative connotation, but maybe it shouldn't.
    Happy Tuesday to you!
      April 25, 2017 6:01 PM MDT

I don't think of it that way. Negatively. If you confront a problem you face it.  I see why it would have a negative connotation to you however. It doesn't to me because I think of "confront" as facing whatever it is. Isn't this a PERFECT example of the problem of semantics? We use words that we THINK mean the same to all of us but in fact they don't. We can't know that in advance so when we get into arguments it could well be that we are thinking of different things entirely when we use those words. How to solve that problem is something I think about all the time. I love words. I play with them all the time. I make some up if I feel like it. Words are my playmates. But when I'm chatting with others I have no way of knowing if they understand where I'm coming from unless the words I choose to use mean the same to  both of us!  AARRGGHH! Thank you for your reply SA and Happy Wednesday! :)
      April 26, 2017 8:05 AM MDT

Absolutely. It's really a wonder that anyone ever gets along when communicating like this, without the benefit of tone, facial expression, body language, etc.!

Have a great Thursday! :)
      April 26, 2017 7:34 PM MDT

Precisely! Thank you m'dear and hope your today is great as well SA! :)
      April 27, 2017 3:55 AM MDT

• More often than not I shy away from confrontation, but sometimes it's necessary and the times I have "confronted", I did not regret it. 
      April 24, 2017 9:39 AM MDT

I have never regretted facing up to something. My only regrets have been not facing up to them. Timing is everything.  Sometimes you never get a second chance to do the right thing. Take it when it is available to you.  Just makes sense to me to do so. Thank you for your reply NevanB!  :)
      April 25, 2017 4:21 AM MDT

• I'm not a fan of confrontation, but I am a male. As a male member of the species, I feel that I need to meet adversity and trouble head on to avoid the appearance of inadequacy or even cowardice. I will say this much, there are a number of ways to gain the upper hand or prevent the problem from escalating. You reach into your bag of tricks and find something that is appropriate to the moment. You can't put out a bon fire with a tea cup of water, nor should you try to light a match with a flame thrower. 
      April 24, 2017 8:29 PM MDT

I think facing up to things is a sign of being an adult. You break it you pay for it. You don't shift the blame to others. I understand the gender thing. Males are more often challenged to prove whose is bigger. Women don't have to deal with that macho thing. It's really silly but it is part of the culture. Never taking responsibility. Always blaming others. Lying to protect your own a** or get others in trouble. That is what deceitful cowardly people do. That is the Trump MO. He will never admit responsibility for any of his screw-ups/flipflops and always takes all the credit for anything good that happens whether he had anything to do with or not. He is a shameful and embarrassing man. The antithesis of what a human adult should be. That he is prez is shocking to me. SIGH. Thank you for your reply driftwood.
      April 25, 2017 3:03 AM MDT