Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ivanka Trump was booed in Germany when she spoke of her father's treatment of women. Do you support booing or think it's rude? Why?

Ivanka Trump was booed in Germany when she spoke of her father's treatment of women. Do you support booing or think it's rude? Why?

Posted - April 25, 2017

Responses

There's a time and place for ever thing including booing. Might be interesting to see if Trump does a flip flop on what he was saying about Germany and the German Precedent last week (they had a great relationship). Now he might say it's a Country full of rude people or something like that. Cheers!
      April 25, 2017 9:18 AM MDT

I doubt he will let it go. He never lets an opportunity to spill his guts go. Thank you for your reply Nanoose! :) I have never booed anyone nor would I. If I didn't like what was being said I would leave the auditorium. When crap is said on TV I just hit the mute button till the crap talker (usually Trump) is off the screen and then I go back to listening. I think good manners/being polite is a good thing. That's just me! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 27, 2017 6:22 AM MDT
      April 25, 2017 10:32 AM MDT

Yes, booing is rude, but in this case, defending Trump's treatment of women, even if it is her father, I can understand why they would do it.
      April 25, 2017 10:16 AM MDT

It would be much easier to defend her father if he were not a public figure.
    If she really does not know what things have been told about him, she needs to educate herself before defending him in public again.
      April 25, 2017 10:27 AM MDT

This is why having Ivanka in such a public and high position is a bad idea when it comes to representing this country.
      April 25, 2017 1:50 PM MDT

She was way beyond her depth. Why Angela Merkel invited her to attend I haven't a clue. Ivanka is not equipped intellectually/emotionally/spiritually  to say what is true. She is a Trump after all and her father would cut her off at the knees if she ever admitted the truth. So she plays the role of the  beautiful sweet dutiful daughter who adores her daddy. SIGH. If Trump had any brains he would protect her from doing that  but he doesn't. He has no problem sacrificing his family for his own aggrandizement. Some"daddy dearest"! :( Thank you for your reply Spunky. I thought she was smarter than that. I was wrong!  :(
      April 25, 2017 10:37 AM MDT

To be truthful, she is a very smart woman.  My boss was in a negotiation with her a while back and he said he was very surprised in her business acumen, her negotiating skills and her demeanot.  Having said that, there's a difference between representing your company and representing your country. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at April 26, 2017 6:40 AM MDT
      April 25, 2017 1:52 PM MDT

We are all SMART/KNOWLEDGABLE Spunky. We are all also MEDIOCRE and IGNORANT/DUMB. It depends upon what area we focus on. Putting a woman who is smart in business on the world stage  in an environment that requires experience, diplomacy, knowledge, political acumen is unfair in my opinion. Being Donald Trump's daughter is not enough. It isn't the Golden Ticket that guarantees access/success. Again, in my opinion. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 26, 2017 12:48 PM MDT
      April 26, 2017 6:43 AM MDT

I agree.  Then again, there aren't too many in Trump's administration that actually have knowledge/experience in the area in which he has placed them.  Ben Carson is a perfect example.  Happy Wednesday. :)
      April 26, 2017 12:49 PM MDT

Trump chose a square peg for every round hole and jammed each in to its designated slot. He likes drama/trauma/pain. All he has to do is sit back and watch the carnage. No skin off his nose! Thank you for your reply Spunky! :)
      April 26, 2017 2:27 PM MDT

We are in agreement there.  Happy Thursday, Rosie. :)
      April 27, 2017 7:57 AM MDT

Thank you Spunky and Happy Friday to you! :)
      April 28, 2017 7:31 AM MDT

Happy Friday.  The sun has finally come out after days of rain.  A welcome event. :)
      April 28, 2017 8:11 AM MDT

If I were to speak in public how wonderful someone was and others knew it was not true, I expect they would boo me too.
      April 25, 2017 10:21 AM MDT

All Trumps live in the Land of Da Nile. If they say it is true it is. If they say it isn't it isn't for them so her conscience can't possibly badger her. She is, after all, Daddy's precious adorable little girl. That is what she will always be. She doesn't have the right stuff to be anything more than that. Too bad he keeps putting her out there to embarrass herself. They don't know any better. Thank you for your reply Lulu'sMom! :)
      April 25, 2017 10:31 AM MDT

And putting her out there to take that flack shows that he takes no blame for anything he has done.
    If I had a daughter, I would never do that to her.
      April 25, 2017 10:56 AM MDT

I wouldn't  either. The "normal" inclination of a parent is to protect the child. Since everything about Trump is abnormal of course he sacrifices his children to aggrandize himself. He doesn't know how to do anything else. And they go along with it. Thank you for your reply Lulu'sMom and Happy Wednesday! :)
      April 26, 2017 6:39 AM MDT

I think we need to worry much less about offending people who defend the unacceptable and the indefensible  just because they have a "right" to have their opinion "respected."

The premise of the 1st amendment is not that people had intelligent or even meaningful things to say, but that those who listened to what was said could cry "bovine excrement" when it was seen to be clearly that.

April 25, 2017 11:14 AM MDT

So you believe that being polite is not relevant? Thank you for your reply tom and Happy Wednesday. You certainly don't need to "respect" anyone's opinion. But I think we must respect the right of others to state those opinions as we would expect the right to state ours without being booed. Being polite does not require acceptance or agreement. It does require having good manners. :)
      April 26, 2017 6:49 AM MDT

See the thing to know about Germans is... they don't take BS well.. they are pretty cut through the crap kinda people - no nonsense and Trump has spoken nothing but nonsense and the Germans don't forget that kind of thing... SO rude it might be but they speak as they find or in this case boo as they find.
      April 25, 2017 11:30 AM MDT

I think having good manners is always admirable Addb. Being polite when you disagree is something I strive to be. Insulting others whose opinions they don't share is what some people do. Booing is insulting.  Just my opinion. The rallies Trump held were filled with attendees who booed and shouted insults and they all had a great time. Good manners were completely absent from all of them. A great time was had by all I expect. Not my cuppa tea. Thank you for your reply Addb! :) Ivanka was an INVITED GUEST by Angela Merkel. That is not the way to treat a guest in my opinion. Very low class.  :(
      April 26, 2017 6:54 AM MDT

What can  you do? I don't control the Germans.. I just explained how they are... I wasn't excusing or celebrating their behaviour... it is what it is.. if that's how they feel that's how they react... they are, as I say, a no nonsesense nation..  and it ain't like Americans are always polite to invited guests... one could argue that our friend Trumpet wasn't very nice to Merkel.
      April 26, 2017 8:16 AM MDT

That is true. Trump ignored he request to shake hands. However he did shake hands with her before and after the meeting. Maybe he didn't hear her. Who knows? I'm going to tell you something you already know Addb. Just because others are rude does not require you to be rude in return. It sounded to me as if you were supporting the booing by saying they don't put up with crap. The implication of that to me was that those who don't boo put up with crap. That may not have been your intention  but it was precisely what I understood you to mean.  So now you know what I got from what you said. Semantics once again rears its ugly head. I would be the last person to defend how Americans treat others. However what does that have to do with me? I am not responsible for them, I don't defend them,I am not a spokesperson for them. I do/say what makes sense to me. My words/actions are not based on some national consensus.  If you invite someone to your home how would you take others being impolite? It is YOUR home. It was YOUR invitation.  And YOUR guest.  The audience should have respected Angela Merkel enough to be  polite to HER guest  whatever they thought personally. Good manners is always appropriate in my opinion. Excusing bad manners is something everyone does from time to time. Usually when they have been rude and want to put  the burden on the target of their rudeness as if to say "they deserved it" or "they made me do it". I don't buy any of it. Thank you for your reply Addb!  :)
      April 26, 2017 8:30 AM MDT

OK well now you know.. I wasn't defending just explaining that's how the Germans are.. very no nonsense.  I think we have to be a little more tolerant here and realistic... just as, 'I would be the last person to defend how Americans treat others. However what does that have to do with me? I am not responsible for them, I don't defend them,I am not a spokesperson for them. I do/say what makes sense to me. ' then we have to accept that, by the same token.. Mrs M wasn't responsible for the audience... they didn't invite her.. and they behaved as they felt.. it's not for you nor I to judge ... in their perhaps booing is less serious. We must be careful of judging. My comment re Americans was that unless booing never happens there.. then you kinda have to respect other's right to boo...  Mrs M wouldnt presume she spoke for all Germans... just as you don't speak for all Americans and I don't speak for all Brits...
    And I honestly think you are feeling indignation in a misplaced way... it wasn't anyone's home.. it's a different thing entirely...Mrs M wasn't impolite.. she cannot be expected to control everyone at the meeting, she isn't a dictator... just as Trump cannot control Americans if they were in the same situation... you have to rememeber people are free... and why assume they do respect Mrs M?
    I'm not making the best job of explaining here today, I am tired and in between my day and evening sessions at work... but what I mean is.. I didn't defend anyone, just explained the Germans are fairly no nonsense, it wasn't anyone's home, anyone anywhere is free to boo as and when they feel it necessary, regardless of whether some of us might feel that is ill-mannered... I think we have to accept that we live in a fairly ill mannered world.. that's not excusing it.. just accepting that's how things are now and then... any meeting anywhere can result in this behaviour... and who knows maybe the meeting was infiltrated by people with a specific agenda.. America AND the Trumps aren't terribly popular.. it's wrong to suggest AM had any control over the people at the meeting.. she isn't a dictator and her people are free.. it doesn't show disrespect to her.. it just shows that the people at the meeting felt Ivanka was talking BS>... no less no more... My ultimate feeling here is that while I respect your stance on ill-manners and I am not fond of that myself... and while in general you and I agree on much, on this I feel you are a tad oversensitive in a misplaced way. Personally, if I got the chance I'd slap Donald in the face... now that's kinda ill-mannered for sure.. .but I reserve that right.
      April 26, 2017 8:50 AM MDT