Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » Should kids be taught to share their toys?

Should kids be taught to share their toys?

Inspired by a viral post from mom who told her son he didn't have to share toys with kids at a park: http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/25/mum-explains-why-she-wont-force-her-son-to-share-his-toys-6596665/

Posted - April 25, 2017

Responses

I wasn't able to see the link, but yes, I think they should. Sharing is an important life skill. If she doesn't want others to touch his toys, leave them at home. If she doesn't teach him this basic life skill he's going to have a big surprise when he gets to school. If you don't share, someone, someday will make sure you learn that lesson. I'd rather my kids learned it from me, not others who care not for my child. Besides that's my job. This post was edited by dragonfly46 at April 26, 2017 9:43 PM MDT
      April 26, 2017 1:54 AM MDT

Her argument was that it was kids they didn't know and that, as an adult, if she walked into a park eating a sandwich, the other adults wouldn't ask her for some of it. In a way, I kind of agree with that. However, sandwiches are consumable, and I think even adults request sharing of non-food items. When I'd take my kids to the park, I'd loan out my sunblock to strangers. If I had extra snacks and a kid was eyeing them, I'd ask the parent if it was ok for me to share. It's not odd for an adult to ask another adult if we can look at the book they're reading or something along those lines. That's the context, anyway. Thanks for your response. :)
      April 26, 2017 10:28 AM MDT

I read that article and it made me stop and think actually.  Lol  As a child I was taught to share my toys, books, and everything except clothing.  
    Wherever and whenever I took our kids or grandkids to the park,  I always took extra food, sunblock,  and extra whatever my kids had.  It was never a problem sharing their toys as they didn't mind sharing.  
    I understand her point, but I don't think the way she did. 
      April 26, 2017 4:20 PM MDT

• I couldn't open the link but if a child takes a toy to the park then they should expect that other children will want to play with it too. As you explained the mother's argument it sounds like absolute piffle to me, she's one of the me, me generation and she's going to raise a spoiled child who will wonder why he/she has no friends.
      April 26, 2017 9:46 PM MDT

i think so
      April 27, 2017 4:22 PM MDT