Active Now

Thebigd
Element 99
Swoop62
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » "Please" and "Thank You". Magic words. Obsolete. Respect for your elders. Obsolete. Displaying good manners/being polite. Obsolete. WHY?

"Please" and "Thank You". Magic words. Obsolete. Respect for your elders. Obsolete. Displaying good manners/being polite. Obsolete. WHY?

Posted - April 26, 2017

Responses

• Good question! To be honest with you? I haven't a clue what happened to manners. They were drilled into me as a kid and I still use them all of the time but I sure have seen some of the rudest people over the last ten years ago. They sure aren't obsolete to me!
      April 26, 2017 7:02 AM MDT

I'm thinking only those of us "of a certain age" remember and reflect and continue to employ them in our daily lives. We grew up learning those things automatically. And using them because we had no other choice. These days most or many folks don't give a rat's a** about being polite. They let you know it. Loud and clear. It is not one of my favorite things about our present-day society. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Rooster and the compliment and Happy Wednesday m'dear! :)
      April 26, 2017 7:30 AM MDT

• I think it's a real shame. It's like they just don't care about anything but their phones.
      April 26, 2017 7:37 AM MDT

Right. Human beings are farther apart than ever. They relate to inanimate things/mechanical things/electronic things. And when they fail you'd think the world just blew up. SIGH. I do miss the good old days my friend. When people actually talked face-to-face and things made sense. I wonder if they will ever come our way again? :(
      April 26, 2017 7:40 AM MDT

• Probably not in our lifetime Rosie.
      April 26, 2017 7:42 AM MDT

Even if we live to be very old my friend? Is there an "average" length of time between pendulum swings? I'm gonna ask that question Rooster. You saw it first! :)
      April 26, 2017 7:44 AM MDT

• Personally? I think it will get worse before it gets better!
      April 26, 2017 7:47 AM MDT

Me too. But we're tough right Rooster? When things get tough the tough get going. Anyway it doesn't matter what others do. All we gotta do is be true to ourselves. It's just easier! :)
      April 26, 2017 7:55 AM MDT

• Yes it is! Thank you, ma'am! :)
      April 26, 2017 7:58 AM MDT

You're welcome Rooster! :):):)
      April 26, 2017 8:06 AM MDT

You forgot yes Ma'am/sir and no Ma'am/sir. They are not obsolete to me nor my children.
      April 26, 2017 7:03 AM MDT

((hugs)) Thank you for restoring a tiny flicker of hope to me from your corner of the world my friend. I am so happy to learn that you are passing on what we ALL used to learn from our parents. I wonder how many more of you are out there? Happy Wednesday Ele! GOOD JOB! :):):)
      April 26, 2017 7:16 AM MDT

"Please", "thank you", and "excuse me" are standard procedure.  I show respect to most by default and until they prove unworthy, but being elder is not in and of itself worthy.  JMHO
      April 26, 2017 7:22 AM MDT

You see no value in respecting your elders. It was automatic in days gone by. We never asked if they were "worthy". Age itself was the ONLY basis. An old person was thought to have more wisdom since he/she had lived longer and experienced more. How true that was or is I don't know. But it didn't matter. We were not the deciders nor did we judge. We left that to our elders whom we respected because they were our elders. We just followed the guidance of our parents whom we respected because they were older. We followed the guidance of our teachers whom we respected because they were older. We didn't question it. We accepted it. That was then.  That was just the way it  was. You and those who feel as you do are now. Different strokes. Things change. Thank you for your reply B and Happy Wednesday to thee.
      April 26, 2017 7:36 AM MDT

Okay Rosie, I know an elderly addict.  Do you automatically give addicts respect, Rosie?  Should I, based simply upon his age?  Shouldn't substance come into it?  Or is it simply surviving that determines one's eligibility for respect per "Rosie's mandate"?  

April 26, 2017 7:49 AM MDT

I have no wish to engage in this level of discourse Bozette.  There is nothing for me here. All you want to do is attack my point. You don't want to explore it. You are grilling me as if I am a suspect and you are the authority. So no thank you. I did my best to reach you. I clearly failed.
      April 26, 2017 7:53 AM MDT

You failed Rosie because you lacked facts.  Please explain to me, coherently, why age is, in and of itself, worthy of respect.
      April 26, 2017 8:14 AM MDT

My 2 year old Granddaughter already knows her please and thank you so there is still hope. Cheers!
      April 26, 2017 8:33 AM MDT

when people are nice to the elderly it's because they're too scared of how much they remind them of death..
      April 26, 2017 8:52 AM MDT

I hope they are nice to you when you get to elderly people. But not out of fear, but out of respect.
      April 26, 2017 9:20 AM MDT

lol no thanks. I just want them to leave me the f**k alone. :)
      April 26, 2017 9:30 AM MDT

Ahh you are such a breath of fresh air nobody.. full of the milk of human kindness, always such a joy
      April 26, 2017 9:33 AM MDT

Aww, takes a kind soul to recognize another.
    Gee, thanks! :D
      April 26, 2017 9:36 AM MDT

Well not always... some of us are just pretty astute like that
      April 26, 2017 9:39 AM MDT