Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » I Googled "how many genocides have ever occurred". There are too many for me to list. Why do humans hate so much they exterminate?

I Googled "how many genocides have ever occurred". There are too many for me to list. Why do humans hate so much they exterminate?

Posted - April 26, 2017

Responses

killing other people gives them a better chance at survival.
    also.. cause they're dicks. usually, literally :)
      April 26, 2017 8:55 AM MDT

Jews were no threat to the Germans. They were scholars and educators. Armenians were no threat to the Turks. They were farmers and had no interest in battling anyone. The evildoers picked the people least apt to fight back. Cowardly  SOB's! And they wiped them out. That is more than being a dick. Worse. Much. Thank you for your reply nL! :)
      April 27, 2017 5:52 AM MDT

Just something to add to the mix... a book i am reading about widescale killing of female fetuses mentioned that THE most violent nation is the US.. more murders, more violence... than anywhere else... Not sure how that compares to genocide but if you think about it... there are a fair numbers of murders there...  for instance.. when the UK had it's very unfortunate brush with terrorism a short while ago and 4 were left dead.. I saw comments about how awful it was... and how we should all be careful when visiting the UK and my thoughts, right or wrong are that actually mass shootings in America are so common that in the month of February alone there were numerous examples of killings where more than 4 were involved.. So while I am not excusing or condoning genocide... we perhaps have to put it into perspective...
      April 26, 2017 8:57 AM MDT

Genocide is the extermination of a group of people because of their ethnicity or religion. The mass shootings in America can be based on anything. Gangs. Crimes of passion. Hate crimes. Drunks/drug addicts going berserk. You name it. Someone was murdered because of it. Reasons are all over the map. Those who are gun people in America worship the gun. It can do no wrong. They will die defending the magnificence of the gun. Many of them own many guns. When massacres occur due to gun violence sales of guns go up dramatically. That is because gun people fear that someone some day will take away their beloved adored guns so they go out to buy more and more and more. Yes it is disgusting as he** but parts of life and some people are disgusting as he** as well. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Addb.  Drunks/drug addicts/racists/crazy people in America kill specific people or randomly whomever gets in the way or innocent bystanders depending on the circumstances. Genocide is ALWAYS PREMEDITATED/SPECIFIC/CONTROLLED. I know. Murder is murder. Dead is dead. How does it make any difference what the motive is?  I don't know if it does. :(
      April 27, 2017 5:59 AM MDT

I think... that is what I was saying.. it doesn't make any difference what the motive is.... dead is dead..
      April 27, 2017 10:28 AM MDT

I think wiping out an entire people because of their ethnicity or religion is in a special class all its own Addb. Yes. Dead is dead. But the circumstances differ. My great grandfather, great grandmother and Aunt Anne who was two years old at the time died on one of the infamous death marches. Old people and children were forced to walk by the Turks until they dropped dead. The young men were slaughtered immediately. Fortunately my parents and grandparents escaped. My mother was an infant and so she and her parents escaped to Paris. My great grandparents and aunt were to follow. They never made it out. Having a personal tie to genocide makes it loom large. Understandably I think, don't you? Thank you for your reply Addb.
      April 28, 2017 5:50 AM MDT

No, If you can HATE one is it such a stretch to HATE the entire demographic? HATE need not be rational. HATE for ethnic groups or any other group often begins with HATE for individuals within the group. Encountering likable exceptions prevents it somewhat until even the exceptions are not enough. If you have not learned these things by now it is no wonder there is so much HATE. You barely understand it.
      April 27, 2017 8:58 AM MDT

LOL you are a riot O... you do tickle me.. I have no idea what you are on about. this hate you seem obsessed with.. so much so that you print it HATE ...  i get that you are obsessed with it.. but I really have no idea what it has to do with me.. I merely mentioned a book i was reading... lol but it's quite funny to sit back and see what you said :P   If you look at what you say you seem to be suggesting I am responsible for the world's hate? quote... If you have not learned these things by now it is no wonder there is so much HATE. You barely understand it.  so because I don't, allegedly, understand hate.. this is why there's so much of it?> wow... I never knew i had so much power ... seriously I just mentioned a book that discussed female fetus genocide... it isnt that they hate females.. its well its more complicated and to do with wanting fewer children, so it costs less to raise them and so that they have a male heir etc..  but if you prefer your hate stuff feel free... it's amusing 
      April 27, 2017 10:24 AM MDT

You HATE Trump and want him gone. Answer that to answer this.
      April 26, 2017 9:09 AM MDT

In all fairness O... and assuming your comment was to Rosie... she didn't mention Trump... she was talking about Genocide- has Trump committed genocide as well now?
      April 26, 2017 9:16 AM MDT

Nice catch Addb. I doubt you will get a response! :)
      April 27, 2017 6:03 AM MDT

• Wow, that's a stupid comparison. Wanting someone out of office is not the same as wanting to exterminate an ethnic group.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 27, 2017 6:04 AM MDT
      April 26, 2017 9:37 AM MDT

You know that and I know that and most other people know that. Not EVERYONE is as astute, reasonable, sensible, logical or aware though. :) Happy Thursday to thee NevanB! :)
      April 27, 2017 6:05 AM MDT

No, If you can HATE one is it such a stretch to HATE the entire demographic? HATE need not be rational. HATE for ethnic groups or any other group often begins with HATE for individuals within the group. Encountering likable exceptions prevents it somewhat until even the exceptions are not enough. If you have not learned these things by now it is no wonder there is so much HATE. You barely understand it.
      April 27, 2017 8:57 AM MDT

• You are the one who doesn't understand, O-uknow. You contradict yourself by saying "hate need not be rational". That is not the same as saying "hate is always irrational", as you seem to be trying to argue. The fact that you conflate being anti-Trump with HATING Trump shows that you are not approaching this rationally either.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 27, 2017 9:59 AM MDT
      April 27, 2017 9:13 AM MDT

I hate no one. Never have. Never will. Just because YOU say so doesn't make it so. You are once again dead wrong. Perhaps if you keep at it one day you will get it right. After all a broken clock is right twice a day.
      April 27, 2017 6:01 AM MDT

• Rosie, turn off your "Safe Search" filter and add the word hysterical.

To answer your question succinctly:  Human Beings as a race generally suck
      April 26, 2017 9:16 AM MDT

Please explain what you mean I know I should get it but I don't JG. What is a "Safe Search" filter? Please and thank you! :)
      April 27, 2017 6:02 AM MDT

• Humans divide themselves into groups naturally, sometimes this leads to one group seeing themselves as superior, sometimes it leads to one group seeing themselves as eternal victims of another group...either perspective has the potential to lead to dehumanizing a group (they're animals, they're monsters), which then leads to the potential for exterminating them.

The key is to avoid dehumanizing. No matter how much you may dislike a culture or a people, once you allow yourself to see them as sub-human, you have the potential to commit genocide. 
      April 26, 2017 9:41 AM MDT

I understand the "them"/"Us" divide my friend. We are more comfy with people like us and less comfy with those who aren't. I get that. But being less comfy and  hating? That is what I don't get. It seems it is always 'either/or' and never 'maybe'. "You're either with us or against us". You can't be neutral. Thank you for your thoughtful analysis. You say the key is to avoid dehumanizing. How do inhumane people do that?
      April 27, 2017 6:08 AM MDT

cause the ones that do it are evil
      April 26, 2017 10:53 AM MDT