Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » "You're either with us or against us". Why can't you be neutral and neither? "My way or the highway". An ultimatum. Who sez?

"You're either with us or against us". Why can't you be neutral and neither? "My way or the highway". An ultimatum. Who sez?

Forcing you to choose sides. Insisting you do and then rewarding you or attacking  you if the side you choose is not agreeable to the demander. I say "go fly a kite". I don't have to choose. I can stay neutral. No one's business but mine. Do people insist/demand/order because they lack confidence in their opinion and need it validated to feel good about themselves? What's up with that?

Posted - April 27, 2017

Responses

maybe cause people dont want to be neutral
      April 27, 2017 3:28 PM MDT

Good point your question brings up.

I'm sure your question description can be true for some, too.

But, yes,  I think there could be many times when a person can be neutral on any number of things without being "for" or "against." It all would depend on the individual, I'd think - - I know several people in my life whom I admire greatly -- I've seen them be neutral when so many around them seem to be "losing it" emotionally.
    I admire these people for many reasons other than just this, though, too.
    :)
      April 27, 2017 3:34 PM MDT

Everything isn't always black or white. How many shades of gray/grey are there WQ? But the "you're either with us or against" folks are not my cuppa tea. Demanding.  Controlling. Insistent. "My way or the highway" my a**! Who the heck do they think they are anyway? Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Friday! to you! :)
      April 28, 2017 4:36 AM MDT

You're welcome, Rosie.
    :)
    I find gray areas in life. Sure, some things may be black or white but certainly not everything, yes.
      April 28, 2017 6:44 PM MDT

Precisely. I wonder though. You know how some folks are literally colorblind? I wonder if that could extend to the inability to see greys as well? Maybe their world is only perceivable in extremes. Maybe all they see is black/white and nothing in-between. Maybe. Thank you for your reply WQ and Happy Saturday to you! :)
      April 29, 2017 3:40 AM MDT

It is actually a Bible quote:
    Matt 12:30
    New Living Translation
    "Anyone who isn't with me opposes me, and anyone who isn't working with me is actually working against me." This post was edited by my2cents at April 29, 2017 8:09 AM MDT
      April 28, 2017 8:58 PM MDT

Said by whom m2c? God? Thank you for the information and Happy Saturday. I disagree. If I volunteer  to work for a politician during a campaign I am WORKING FOR. But if I don't volunteer I certainly AM NOT WORKING AGAINST! I'm not working at all. So I disagree with the truth of that quotation. Of course  the "my way or the highway" people WOULD believe that. So would THE DONALD. I think. :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 29, 2017 3:49 AM MDT
      April 29, 2017 3:48 AM MDT

Jesus Christ said it. 
    I am of the mind set of IF God/Jesus said it: I believe it.

Every hear the phrase: All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men(women) to do nothing.? It is the same thing Everything in this world is constantly changing. If we are not actively trying to decide the direction of the change, we are in fact helping the side we disagree with bring about the change they are pushing for. 

Just as in the presidential election, many who choose to riot and have a fit about the election results in fact did not vote or voted third party. They effectively worked against Clinton assuring her defeat.  This post was edited by my2cents at April 29, 2017 8:18 AM MDT
      April 29, 2017 8:05 AM MDT