Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Anxiety for no apparent reason is because why, again???

Anxiety for no apparent reason is because why, again???

Posted - April 27, 2017

Responses

Thanks, tom jackson. Lately I've had challenges in managing (and reacting to my life) but my ability to laugh at myself about it all (i.e. how 'goofy' I can let the anxious thoughts get) is a life saver. And I don't think I'm trying to hide anything or repressing the anxiety -- I'm still me through it all --  but I usually come across to others as very go-with-the-flow, humorous type of person.
    :)

(Of course, those how know me well and know that I have the GAD can often tell when it's rough for me.)

April 27, 2017 3:10 PM MDT

• That is me...My heart starts racing and I feel like I'm ready to be executed or something really bad is about to happen.
     It's a false "Fight or Flight" flag and it's maddening
      April 27, 2017 2:39 PM MDT

I'm not trying to diagnose or anything but maybe at least explore a bit the Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) thing. My doctor explored other options that may have been my reason for the anxiety -- he ruled these things out and after about a year he said, "Yeah, I think you may have GAD. And I think it's severe."
    Ha!
    I did laugh when he told me that.

The best way I can explain how I feel to others is that I have a constant underlying current of anxiety of a generalized nature - - I know that things are basically OK in my life but there is still this persistent anxiety that can get almost debilitating at times --  and the anxiety need not be about anything specific, just general - - or I make things up out of nothing. (Though, thankfully, I've come a long way with my managing tools and those almost-debilitating moments are few.)
    Visually, I see my GAD like those nature films of lava currents traveling away from active volcanoes. The lava is obviously still hot but there are bits of various-sized pieces of crusted lava on top (the moments of calm) and every once in a while some of the lava pops up high along the lava river. (If that makes any sense, ha!) The lava current is the rather-constant nature of the anxiety with little flare-ups popping up here and there. But these flare-ups are nothing like a panic attack, ever. I've not had any of those.)

April 27, 2017 3:21 PM MDT

• TBH...I've given up explaining how it feels to other people.
    It's so misunderstood...add that to agoraphobia
      April 27, 2017 5:48 PM MDT

I don't blame you for giving up explaining to others.
      April 27, 2017 6:55 PM MDT

And righty1 and pearl and tom jackson (and others here) explain it better than I have and they did it with  much fewer words.
      April 27, 2017 3:24 PM MDT

There doesn't have to be a reason for anxiety. Some people just have it. Like myself. 
      April 27, 2017 2:38 PM MDT

• Et tu, Righty? Et tu?
    I could have never guessed

April 27, 2017 3:11 PM MDT

Yes, I take pills for it.  
      April 27, 2017 3:14 PM MDT

• Me too...sometimes, but I found that Cannabis works well
    I worry about dependency on the pharma
      April 27, 2017 3:17 PM MDT

(I'm always grateful to you, righty1 -- you were the first person I ever admitted to on a website that I had anxiety issues.)

Thank you again!
      April 27, 2017 3:22 PM MDT

You're welcome, bud. It feels good to release things, doesn't it? Set it free. :)
      April 27, 2017 5:50 PM MDT

Yes, it does feel good to do that.
      April 27, 2017 6:57 PM MDT

it might be a chemical imbalance
      April 27, 2017 3:21 PM MDT

An anxiety disorder is an illness and is the most common mental disorder. It has no known cause, but may be caused by genetics or by environmental factors. It can be treated, so if it is interfering with your daily life, you should speak to your doctor. In my experience, people who have not been affected by this type of anxiety, simply do not understand that it can affect anyone, even  successful, self-confident individuals. 

After reading through other responses on this thread, I decided to add, that I, too have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I take daily meds which take care of almost all of it. The panic attacks were the worst part and I haven't had one since I started medication. I also have additional meds for 'break-through; anxiety which I take only occasionally. Very few people know this about me and some have not believed me when I tried to tell them.  This post was edited by Jane S at April 27, 2017 9:26 PM MDT
      April 27, 2017 9:14 PM MDT

I understand the general anxiety issue, but the heart-racing symptom could mean you have an irregular heartbeat which can be serious.  Unless your doctor has ruled that out, you might want to have it checked out.  I found out that I have that problem when I got sick back in 2015 with what I thought was bronchitis and went to one of those walk-in clinics.  The doc there told me I had an irregular heartbeat, sent me to my internist who sent me to a cardiologist who diagnosed a-fib and I now take meds to prevent blood clots.
      April 27, 2017 10:11 PM MDT