Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Fashion » How often do you use tin foil and what for?

How often do you use tin foil and what for?

Posted - April 27, 2017

Responses

• Never.  I don't even know where to obtain it.   I use aluminum foil a lot though   I prefer it over plastic wrap and baggies.  It's got a lot of shop uses too.
      April 27, 2017 3:32 PM MDT

Is that the same as aluminium foil? I don't use it a lot... I use it, boringly, for cooking salmon or plain chicken.. 
      April 27, 2017 3:38 PM MDT

It is tin...nobody uses it anymore and you can't find it anywhere. Yes...another trick question, just for you.   :)
      April 28, 2017 7:16 AM MDT

I wear tin foil hats ALL the time.  It stops the government and aliens from trying to control my mind.  You all need to do the same thing.  Protect yourselves and join me along with the rest of the Tin Hat Society.

April 27, 2017 3:50 PM MDT

• It's worked for me ... They ain't getting nuth'n from my head ..

April 27, 2017 4:12 PM MDT

Somehow, I'm guessing the hat is not the first or only thing that keeps anyone from trying to read it . . .
    ~
      April 27, 2017 6:05 PM MDT

• About as often as I use a "lead pencil."
      April 27, 2017 5:52 PM MDT

You got it.
      April 28, 2017 7:17 AM MDT

Listen, Dude, it was ONE hat, ONE time, and that's all! You make it seem as if I made a new one every couple of weeks! That's not how it was: as soon as I threw away the microwave oven, the government could no longer read my thoughts through my sunglasses, so I had no need for the foil-lined hat any more. Sheesh.
    ~
      April 27, 2017 6:02 PM MDT

Are you sure it was just the microwave? I'd keep the hat on if I were you, Randy.

April 27, 2017 8:52 PM MDT

Hey, where did that photo come from?  I don't remember any cameras being there!  As a matter of fact, I don't even remember you being there!  How in the heck did you . . . . wait a second.  You don't work for the government, do you? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

~
      April 27, 2017 8:55 PM MDT

Thanks for verifying. We weren't sure that was you. Have a nice day.
      April 28, 2017 5:16 AM MDT

I've been had!

~
      April 28, 2017 8:22 PM MDT

• Protection .. no, not that kind ... Against people and the government reading my thoughts .. It works ...
      April 27, 2017 6:07 PM MDT

• Okay, so...
    I use the heavy duty foil when making ribs. First, I remove the membrane on the back of the ribs. Don't get too OCD about that, just do your best, it should peel off. Then I rub in the fave BBQ sauce (all over, just behave), and put the ribs in a tent of foil. This is the low and slow part, 250F for 3 hours in the oven. Then I undo the tents, and increase the temp to 300F, and slather on BBQ sauce, repeating every 15 minutes for one hour.
    Yummy!
      April 27, 2017 7:14 PM MDT

What Glis said. I mostly use it when grilling.

I haven't seen any tin foil in decades. Is it still being produced anywhere?
      April 27, 2017 9:05 PM MDT

No, it isn't. I had some in my chem storage lab and let the students peel some off.
      April 28, 2017 7:20 AM MDT

Element~ I hate to be really super boring and practical... but in all sincerity, I just bought some yesterday.  I made a few cranberry nut breads and banana breads and proceeded to wrap them in tin foil.. I topped them off with  colorful curling ribbon.  I gave one to a friend from work and  sent my parents one.  We have the last one wrapped in tin foil too, sitting on our kitchen counter.  I'm looking at it right now. 
    Call me old school; but I do still use it and think it works really well for "just because" presents like banana bread :) This post was edited by Merlin at April 28, 2017 8:29 PM MDT
      April 27, 2017 10:48 PM MDT

Tin or aluminium?
      April 27, 2017 11:00 PM MDT

I thought it was tin Slartibartfast.  Maybe that is the problem.  Maybe since I haven't been wearing my tin hat, the government and the aliens have taken hold of my brain.  I am now so confused, I can't seem to tell the difference.  Maybe the aluminium has soaked into the sweet breads and has affected my friends and family too!
    Let this be a painful lesson to me and to all !  Wear your tin hats and be safe.  Make a fashion statement and step out in the world attired in your hats!  Otherwise, you may end up like me... Ahhhhhh!
      April 27, 2017 11:30 PM MDT

I always line cookie sheets with foil. 

I keep foil on the bottom on my oven.  I know.............

I freeze food by wrapping in plastic, then wrapping in foil.

I bake veggies in either parchment paper or foil.

I put little wadded up foil balls in the bottom on my crock pot when I don't want the food to sit on the bottom or want to bake potatoes without heating up the house.

I use foil to cover baking dishes that do not have a lid but need to be covered.

There's more.  I love aluminum foil.
      April 28, 2017 11:14 AM MDT

• On the bottom of the oven? What does that do?
      April 28, 2017 11:19 AM MDT

If something bubbles over or spatters while cooking the aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven is an easy way to keep the oven clean.  No muss, no fuss, no spending time scraping and cleaning the bottom of the unit. ;-)
      April 28, 2017 1:14 PM MDT

• Oh, I was thinking that, but wasn't sure. I do put foil in the broiler pan and such to keep things clean. If I think something might bubble over or splatter, I put a pan underneath. I've never scrubbed an oven, just start the self clean cycle. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 28, 2017 8:30 PM MDT
      April 28, 2017 2:52 PM MDT