Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Any Answermuggers with Native American blood? Trump referred to Elizabeth Warren as "Pocahontas" at the NRA convention. Offensive? Why?

Any Answermuggers with Native American blood? Trump referred to Elizabeth Warren as "Pocahontas" at the NRA convention. Offensive? Why?

Posted - April 29, 2017

Responses

Yes I have some Indian in my bloodline. 
    Trump refers to Warren as Pocahontas because it was proven she lied about her bloodline....she does not have Indian in her bloodline as she claimed. It is alleged that she even received grants based on her false claims.
      April 29, 2017 8:57 AM MDT

Speaking words of wisdom "Let it Be" ~Song Lyrics This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at May 2, 2017 5:08 AM MDT
      April 29, 2017 9:36 AM MDT

it does sound offensive, not sure why hed say that
      May 1, 2017 4:54 PM MDT

My great grandmother was Choctaw. 

Warren falsely claimed to have Indian blood.  Many call her Pocahontas as a result. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at May 2, 2017 3:45 AM MDT
      May 1, 2017 10:51 PM MDT

So she lied? If true do you know why she would do that? Also if true how does that make it  okay for Trump to demean her by calling her "Pocahontas"?  When does namecalling ever make anything OK? I take it you don't mind his putdown? Well you're the one with Native American blood coursing through you veins, not I. I wonder if others with your ethnic background feel as you do? Thank you for your reply and Happy  Tuesday.  How much do you know about Pocahontas? Did you know that was not her real name. Her real name was Matoax and the Indians lied to the English because they did not trust them. Even so she protected John Smith from death by laying her head upon his chest. A very brave thing to do for anyone. It showed compassion. A fine woman. Whatever name people used when referring to her.   "Pocahontas".  I bet The Donald also knows nothing about her...only enough to use her fake name to put down a United States Senator. But I digress. :(
      May 2, 2017 3:52 AM MDT

• Her name at birth was Matoaka. It is believed that Pocahontas was born around 1595 to a Powhatan chief. Her given name at birth was Matoaka, although she was sometimes called Amonute. “Pocahontas” was a derogatory nickname meaning “spoiled child” or “naughty one.”
      May 2, 2017 4:03 AM MDT

How do YOU feel about Trump referring to Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren as "Pocahontas"? Does it enhance his stature as a thoughtful Statesman or does it remind us of what he is, whom he is and what he can never be? Inquiring minds want to know Karen. Where do YOU stand vis a vis The Donald and his mouth on this particular subject? Happy Tuesday. This post was edited by RosieG at May 2, 2017 4:52 AM MDT
      May 2, 2017 4:52 AM MDT

• I think he could have handled it better, name calling is never attractive. She did lie about having a Native American bloodline though. I think she should face some kind of consequence for that. She should be forced to pay back any and all compensation she received for her lie. 
      May 2, 2017 4:58 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Karen. So to you the "lie" she told (do you have incontrovertible irrefutable concrete PROOF of that or is  it just another one of The Donald's alternative facts like INSISTING Obama had no birth certificate or was involved in wiretapping him?) is far worse than the  name-calling The Donald regularly engages in as far you are concerned? He was justified? Of course I disagree with thee wholeheartedly completely irrevocably eternally about The Donald. I always  shall. Different strokes Karen. You back up what you think is good/right/true. What I think matters not to anyone  but me! And so it shall always be!  SIGH :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 2, 2017 5:05 AM MDT
      May 2, 2017 5:03 AM MDT

• I said he could have handled it better and that name calling is never attractive. How is that defending him? All you have to do is Google Elizabeth Warren to find out that she did state that on her paperwork. It's really not that difficult to do a little research. 
      May 2, 2017 5:08 AM MDT