Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What do you think of the Russian Government's action in banning Jehovah's Witnesses?

What do you think of the Russian Government's action in banning Jehovah's Witnesses?

Posted - April 30, 2017

Responses

• Love it.
    Bye-bye porch proselytizers. 
      April 30, 2017 2:44 PM MDT

Russia has always had a very chequered past when it comes to religion... Religion is the opium of the people an all that 
      April 30, 2017 2:57 PM MDT

Free elections do not mean a free society. Does Russia even have a Constitution?
      April 30, 2017 3:10 PM MDT

They don't vote, they refuse to do military service; they are not playing fair with the country they dwell in.
      April 30, 2017 3:28 PM MDT

• I don't believe in religious discrimination, so I disagree with it, no matter my personal feelings on Jehovah's Witnesses. 
      April 30, 2017 6:42 PM MDT

That's Russia's business. 

I know nothing about JW other than they ring doorbells.  My denomination doesn't do that, thank goodness.
      May 1, 2017 10:50 AM MDT

didnt know they were doing that
      May 1, 2017 3:26 PM MDT

Not happy about the treatment of my brothers there. We've been banned there before as well as most other Countries at one time or another. It's usually at the instigation of the local Clergy. You should see all of the Supreme Court rulings in many Countries in favor of JW's after the local courts gave in to the local Clergy.

https://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by-region/russia/danish-jw-arrested-when-police-raid-christian-meeting/
      June 7, 2017 9:16 AM MDT

Excuse me?  Is this FAKE NEWS?

If they banned the JW's they would have to ban the Evangelicals, Mormons,  and any other zealotous, God-fearing humans.

The JW's are mild in comparison to ISIS.  They should concentrate on that Fraud group instead of the spiritually sincere.   (well not those Evangelicals.  They are worse)
      June 7, 2017 9:20 AM MDT

• This one is not fake.  http://www.newsweek.com/jehovahs-witnesses-russia-ban-police-589791
      June 7, 2017 9:35 AM MDT

OH MY GOD.

I thought this was a Joke because Flipper does that stuff.  

I cannot believe this.  I am speechless.  This is TRUMP's buddy.   Don't be surprised when it comes here.  In the name of putting more fear in the populous.  In the name of putting more paranoia in the home front.  

Russian authorities have already begun breaking up Jehovah’s Witnesses services and collecting members’ identities following a Supreme Court decision to uphold a ban on the religious organization, a spokesman for the faith said Tuesday.

Related: US: Russia’s Jehovah’s Witnesses Ban Shows ‘Paranoia’ of Vladimir Putin’s Government

Backing a charge from Russia’s justice ministry that Jehovah’s Witnesses’ activity put it in violation of the country’s anti-extremism law, the Supreme Court Thursday ordered all 395 of the religious group's local chapters to be seized and its activities outlawed. The faith, which comprises 175,000 members in Russia and has been active in the country since 1991, has yet to receive the written decision from the court, which it needs in order to launch an appeal, something which it has said it will do.

Subscribe to Newsweek from $1 per week

In the meantime, the group's bank accounts in Russia have already been frozen and most kingdom halls, where members gather for services and prayer, have ceased activity. Where local chapters have remained operating, an intimidatory police presence is being felt, said spokesman for Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia, Yaroslav Sivulskiy.

“We expect that the police will be very active to interrupt meetings,” he told Newsweek Tuesday. “We've already started to receive reports in some places that meetings were disrupted. They take personal data, like copies of personal identity, of who was there. And after that, they let them go, but they want to know who attends those meetings.”

June 7, 2017 9:39 AM MDT

• I know, right? I wonder if they have done this with other religious groups? I know Russia has never been big on allowing religion in their country, but I thought they got past that. 

*side note* I saw your comment before it got deleted. If you neither accept nor delete a friend request, it stays in limbo. They cannot message you or send you another request. 
      June 7, 2017 10:08 AM MDT

re:  Accepting friend request.  Good point.   Old School had a request from me on Answer Bag that he ignored for 6 years. 

I asked him about it since he is my roommate, and he still has no answer.  But it did work.  I should have remembered that incident.

Thank you.

As far as the religion subject.  This is more scary than anything else I have read so far.  It is a portent of things to come world-wide.  ISIS planned on chaos.  They are getting it.  They are not just a band of unwashed gypsies.  They know how the world turns way better than these ignorant leaders of Russia and Amerika. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 7, 2017 2:57 PM MDT
      June 7, 2017 10:14 AM MDT

Hi Karen. Russian Orthodox. Putin is kinda partial to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRgWVAfHNZM
      June 7, 2017 2:58 PM MDT

• Never heard of this one.  I'll do some research when I get home. Thanks
      June 7, 2017 3:30 PM MDT

The damage they have done to members and ex-members is far reaching.
    They harbor child molesters because of what they call the two witness rule.
    If a child is molested and there were not two people who witnessed it, nothing is done about it.
    They are encouraged not to go to the police but to handle it in house. So most go unreported and the molesters remain a member in good standing.
    Check out the Australian Royal Commission under Jehovah's Witnesses and read that over 1,000 cases of molesting has gone on not reported.
    Also check out JWfacts.com to get more info on what they do.
    I see no problem with banning any religion when it causes harm to others.
      June 7, 2017 10:10 AM MDT

My grandparents were Witnesses and they would NEVER adhere to such nonsense.  Are YOU a Jehovah?  Have you been to their meetings?

Just because there are factions of INSANE idiots, does not make Witnesses like your description.   There are evil Mormons.  Really sickos.  There are terrific Mormons that have done more for their neighbors than most politicians.  There are hideous Christians that do not tolerate any beliefs but their own pathetic stuck beliefs.  There are Christians that are Christ-like. 

So any Witnesses that think this way, are not Witnesses I have encountered.

But, Lu Lu this is NOT the point.  The POINT is that Russia is supressing religions they don't like.  Not because of what some sex-offenders are trying to pull off.

You NEVER let governments do this.  This is not their realm. When they start telling you what you can pray to, we have gone back to the days of persecution in Germany, World WarII, China, turning religion into a crime,  and the ancient Romans and the Lions and the Slave Arenas. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 7, 2017 10:34 AM MDT
      June 7, 2017 10:29 AM MDT

I used to be a JW and raised my son in it, so I do know what I am talking about.
    There are many good people in the org. who have no idea what goes on behind the scene.
    I do believe in freedom of religion and don't care which one people follow or don't follow.
    There may be a few I will speak up about if asked for my viewpoint. Which was the case in this question.
      June 7, 2017 12:05 PM MDT

That's all I needed to know, Lu Lu.  You win.  

I hear this kind of thing from people who have no clue.   You do.  I do not, apparently.   But you did mention that there are many good people who do not have a clue.  So if they do not, it obviously is NOT what JW's preach, but rather what some in the group in power are trying to cover up.

This is true in any religion. That is why I don't trust them.   I trust the words they preach, but I stay away from anything that I have to unite with as a tribe.  

I still think you know what you are talking about.  I still think it might be a very unfair way to view Jehovah's Witnesses, but I am not sure now. 

Thanks for your candor.  You know I appreciate your words. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 7, 2017 1:50 PM MDT
      June 7, 2017 12:06 PM MDT

Kinda expect people to spread Joseph Goebbels type propaganda to slander Christians. Just think of the Salem witch trials where one accusation could get you killed. Some people go out of their way to exaggerate, mix truth with lies, or even out right lie to malign those that they do not like. The scriptures show that this would be the case. Especially heinous are the ones that used to walk with Christ that turn their back on Him and attack their former brothers.

(John 15:20) Keep in mind the word I said to you: A slave is not greater than his master. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have observed my word, they will also observe yours.
    (Matthew 5:11) “Happy are you when people reproach you and persecute you and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against you for my sake.
    (Matthew 26:60) But they found none, although many false witnesses came forward. Later two came forward
    (Psalm 27:12) Do not hand me over to my adversaries, For false witnesses have risen up against me, And they threaten me with violence.
    (Psalm 35:11) Malicious witnesses come forward, Asking me things I know nothing about.
    (Matthew 24:48, 49) “But if ever that evil slave says in his heart, ‘My master is delaying,’ 49 and he starts to beat his fellow slaves and to eat and drink with the confirmed drunkards,
    (1 John 2:19) They went out from us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us. But they went out so that it might be shown that not all are of our sort.

The ones that seem to attack the most are those that have been removed from the Congregation for unrepentantly committing gross sins.

(1 Corinthians 5:9-13) In my letter I wrote you to stop keeping company with sexually immoral people, 10 not meaning entirely with the sexually immoral people of this world or the greedy people or extortioners or idolaters. Otherwise, you would actually have to get out of the world. 11 But now I am writing you to stop keeping company with anyone called a brother who is sexually immoral or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. 12 For what do I have to do with judging those outside? Do you not judge those inside, 13 while God judges those outside? “Remove the wicked person from among yourselves.”
      June 7, 2017 4:05 PM MDT