Discussion » Questions » Travel » What's one trip/ vacation every child should get to experience?

What's one trip/ vacation every child should get to experience?

Posted - May 1, 2017

Responses

• Camping in the woods.
      May 2, 2017 12:27 AM MDT

• Agreed. Teaching about the beauty of nature and respect for our environment
      May 2, 2017 7:39 AM MDT

Indeed.
      May 2, 2017 7:44 PM MDT

• IMHO the most important lessons in life are learned in nature.  It's the most important experiences a child could ever have is learning how to connect to the land.   How to survive there.  Start a fire and all that.    If they wait until they are an adult it's too late.  Children belong outside getting dirty IMHO.
      May 2, 2017 10:56 PM MDT

I agree. I grew up in central Wisconsin and my "toys" were either the woods or an encyclopedia set. I can't say I learned much in the way of survival, but I've always felt connected to nature because of that. I got moved to the Phoenix metro area when I was in junior high, and it's a whole different world. I was never as "cultured" as my peers. I'm hoping with my younger two kids, I'll be able to give them the best of both worlds. You can't just "go be in nature" when you're in a major metropolitan area. You actually have to plan and drive a couple hours just to find a campsite. Even then, it's not really "nature." It's a bunch of tent spaces carved out with bathrooms close at hand. So, you actually have to work to be able to give your kids those kinds of experiences- perhaps the ones you and I had growing up and were able to take for granted. I really don't think a person can learn to be at peace with him/herself unless he or she does get to spend that time outdoors and connecting. I say "at peace," but there's more to it than that... it's more of a wholeness.

Equally, being city-folk now, I also want to expose my kids to as much as possible when they're young- be it cultural, historical, or educational things as well. I think those kinds of experiences help them find their own place in the world.
      May 2, 2017 11:39 PM MDT

• You and I are similar then in that regard.   If I wasn't skirting homework to go fishing or riding my bike to woods to tramp around in I was buried nose deep in the World Book encyclopedia.   hating studying for school and doing homework, but read that damn thing front to back 5 times by High school.
    Being taken out to the Mountains and on deep woods camping trips was pretty much what drew me to Cub scouts and Boy Scouts. Until, you know,    chasing girls took priority and said duck it.

Culture is good too.   I'm glad i got exposed to a little of that as well.
      May 2, 2017 11:51 PM MDT

• Hiking in the mountains and spending a night under the stars with no cell phones, music, nothing...
      May 2, 2017 7:39 AM MDT

Excellent point. More grownups should do that too.
      May 2, 2017 7:44 PM MDT

• Absolutely! I live the dream :) No cell phone signal for 15 miles, no neighbors no nothing.
    I feel safe. Kids don't understand or know that feeling. 
      May 2, 2017 9:11 PM MDT

all that outdoorsy stuff is fine, but they can do that anytime.......all kids should be exposed to THE ARTS in some form.......they may love it or hate it, but the exposure, at least once, is never bad...

take them to a concert of 'light' music.......to a Broadway show on tour that hits your town.........TEACH THEM how to behave in a theater, and that they can't "pause' the live action 'cuz they wanna go to the bathroom or get a drink!!!!!!!

There's WAY too much freewheelin' BS going on today.....no structure, discipline in small things...........yeesh!!!!!!!

so the outdoor stuff? fine.....I always hated it and still do......but they should be EXPOSED TO THE ARTS TOO........

and esp. you parents of young children, expose them to all kinds of music; not just your favorite stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK??????

May 2, 2017 8:32 AM MDT

I totally agree with you. I think what you mention here should be the part of the fabric of a child's life. This and nature, actually- kids need a wide variety of activities- to learn what cultural activities suit them and become aware of what's out there, but also to be more at peace with themselves via a connection with nature. Perhaps these things aren't too far apart after all, at least in terms of what you say about not being able to "pause." You can't pause the outdoors any more than you could a live concert. Both can be engaging.
      May 2, 2017 7:51 PM MDT

• IDK.   All the kids in my family and my friends have.. All their time is eaten up by structured crap with little time for them to run around and explore.   Kids seem WAY more structured and scheduled these days than anyone was when we were kids.  It's kinda sad to watch.

They aren't as disciplined but WAY structured and planned to every detail.
      May 2, 2017 10:58 PM MDT

One where they can sit on top of a mountain, swim in the ocean, watch the sun set in the dessert, and eat fruit right from a tree. 
      May 2, 2017 9:17 PM MDT

That sounds like 2-3 different trips, but lovely none the less. :)
    Also, I'm pretty sure you've just helped me mentally justify a trip to Cancun. lol
      May 2, 2017 11:42 PM MDT