Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Family » What would it take for YOU to tell your child "You're dead to me"? Why?

What would it take for YOU to tell your child "You're dead to me"? Why?

High school seniors Phillip Freeman and Anna Hayes from Lake Village, Arkansas attended a prom together. He is black and she is white. Would that be reason enough for you to say such words to your child? Do you support or decry dearest daddy's reaction? Why?

Posted - May 6, 2017

Responses

No relationship is worth that type of family drama. Move on. He will live a better life.
      May 6, 2017 9:44 AM MDT

"He" meaning the father? What about the daughter? How does she move on hearing something so despicable as that from her "daddy dearest"?  Thank you for your reply O and Happy Sunday! :)
      May 7, 2017 4:02 AM MDT

Nothing and I mean NOTHING my children could do would ever make me turn away from them.  I have 4 adult children.  I don't have to like what they do or say. Our whole family on both sides are blessed with many different races and cultures. We are a family of beautiful mixtures. 
    My only son once was going out with a white girl. Her father and mother told her if she continued to see my son, who is Hispanic they would disown her for mixing races. They said they hired Mexicans to work for them NOT to date their daughter. Funny they thought my son was a Mexican, although our family has been in the United States for over 500 years. My son and his girlfriend broke up, needless to say.  This post was edited by SA (SuperA) at May 10, 2017 3:11 PM MDT
      May 6, 2017 9:47 AM MDT

Your son is now free to find a woman he can build with from something not less than zero.
      May 6, 2017 9:52 AM MDT

I realize that, but my grandchild was aborted by his ex gf in order to make her parents happy. Her choice not mine. Her life not mine. Just makes me sad.
      May 6, 2017 12:08 PM MDT

Wait a minute !! Your grandchild was aborted? So your son impregnated this girl out of wedlock and your "famiy is blessed with many races and cultures"? Just what race or culture approves of such behavior. Who was going to raise that child? Not your son, since he and his girlfriend broke up before the baby was born. Talk about mixed signals. Wow. 
      May 6, 2017 3:45 PM MDT

I believe it still requires two to make a baby.  It sounds as if her son's gf broke up with him to appease her parents and the same with the abortion.  He could not force her to remain with him or to have the baby.  
    As to having sex before marriage...that is not that unusual.  Nor was it unheard of no matter what culture or time period.  It's hormones and human nature.  Walk into any church and there are likely at least a few sitting in the pews guilty of the same.  

You judging SA for anything here is out of line.  
      May 6, 2017 3:58 PM MDT

Observing,  not judging. The judging is all yours - "...it sounds as if..."
      May 6, 2017 4:01 PM MDT

That you were judging is clear for all to see.  What I gathered from her post (that he had no choice in either decisio)  was clearly implied, if not outright stated.  Your assumption that her son would not have raised his child came wholly from you reading things that were neither stated nor implied by SA.
      May 6, 2017 4:10 PM MDT

Thank you Bozette  <3
      May 6, 2017 4:03 PM MDT

Welcome, SA.  (((Hugs)))
      May 6, 2017 4:12 PM MDT

Thank you Bozette  <3

They 'were' engaged. My son was working and wanted to raise his child.  Reread my comments.  My brothers are /were married to women of different cultures.  My sister was married to a Polish guy and he died.  She re-married and married another White men.  I was not speaking about my children.  They are all the same silly.  One dad. What my children do as adults is their choice NOT mine.  No mixed signals. Simple.
      May 6, 2017 4:01 PM MDT

Thank you for clarifying.

You really should not assume things.  Not that I care, but it is rude.  You don't know me, as others here do.  I do not judge sinners because I myself am a sinner. Look in the mirror
      May 6, 2017 4:10 PM MDT

You should have quit when you were ahead. Now you're judging. Some people...!!
      May 6, 2017 4:31 PM MDT

HA!
      May 6, 2017 5:04 PM MDT

More than sad it seems a crime.
      May 6, 2017 6:16 PM MDT

Condolences. The ex-gf would have made a LOUSY mother but still the child might well have contributed great things to the world if given a chance. He/she had a right to life. Ex gf would have been a LOUSY wife if she was so intimidated by her parents that she could take a life because they disapproved! Makes me sad too SA. :(
      May 7, 2017 4:23 AM MDT

Thank God I didn't have parents like that when I was dating.
    I know this sounds bad, but if that had told me they would have disowned me for someone I was dating, I would have told them to F off.
    I don't like to be told what to do LOL.
      May 6, 2017 11:20 AM MDT

Out of 6 brothers and 1 sister I have had in-laws who are Cuban, Hawaiian, White, Native American and Hispanic.  Race was not an issue with my parents THANK goodness!! lol
      May 6, 2017 12:15 PM MDT

I am just thinking of all that great food you all must have.
    I bet the pot lucks are fantastic.
      May 6, 2017 12:26 PM MDT

I think everybody in the family are great cooks. I don't know one who doesn't appreciate good food! Haha
      May 6, 2017 12:31 PM MDT

Personally I think the most handsome/beautiful human beings are those who have "MIXED" ethnic backgrounds. There is nothing wrong with vanilla ice cream. But it is rarely memorable. Equating humans to food is probably unwise but I think you get my point! Of course there is French Vanilla and Vanilla Bean and other iterations on the same theme but how exciting is vanilla seriously?  Take rainbows for example. How memorable is a one-colored rainbow whatever the color may be? Will it take your breath away? Maybe. But the multi-colored rainbow? It's like a kaleidoscope. Infinitely fascinating and beautiful. We once upon a time saw a DOUBLE RAINBOW across the sky! We pulled over just to look at it SA.  Thank you for sharing your personal story. I trust that your son was not undone by such prejudice as that. Happy Sunday! :) ((hugs))
      May 7, 2017 4:20 AM MDT